Author Topic: Sully and KO  (Read 6248 times)

Sully and KO
« on: July 07, 2015, 03:59:11 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Can we stop talking about these two like they are the future (because of their age).  Neither is young and neither will magically transform into much more than they are already, which is serviceable NBA players that might crack the rotation on a quality team.

So whether it is Amir Johnson or David Lee or (insert quality veteran here), let's not lose sleep over how these two will be impacted.  The answer is, doesn't really matter too much.

Re: Sully and KO
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 04:05:22 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Can we stop talking about these two like they are the future (because of their age).  Neither is young and neither will magically transform into much more than they are already, which is serviceable NBA players that might crack the rotation on a quality team.

So whether it is Amir Johnson or David Lee or (insert quality veteran here), let's not lose sleep over how these two will be impacted.  The answer is, doesn't really matter too much.

23 and 24 isn't young? Are you 14?  ???
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 04:12:36 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas

Most people use the term "young" to imply that a player has a lot of upside or room to grow.  In basketball terms, 23 and 24 are not young in that sense.  They've been playing basketball all their lives and by now we pretty much know what they are and are not.  So yeah, to me 23 and 24 isn't young.  They have come close to reaching their peak.

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 04:22:40 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Worth mentioning that Sully and KO spent most of the 2014-2015 season as 22 and 23 years old respectively.

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 04:44:14 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
LOL
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 04:51:25 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
LOL
Great to see some thought brought to the discussion.

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 05:10:42 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Will both be under pressure up,their game ....or sit on the bench .

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 05:32:23 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

Most people use the term "young" to imply that a player has a lot of upside or room to grow.  In basketball terms, 23 and 24 are not young in that sense.  They've been playing basketball all their lives and by now we pretty much know what they are and are not.  So yeah, to me 23 and 24 isn't young.  They have come close to reaching their peak.

14? lol

I think anyone at that age can get much better, not saying they will but if they work at it they sure as hell will.

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 05:33:25 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Hard to imagine at this point that the team sees all that much of a future in either guy, given the moves so far this off-season.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 05:35:06 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I'm not a fan of either player, but the idea that guys in their early to mid twenties cannot improve is ludicrous.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 06:28:53 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas

14? lol

I think anyone at that age can get much better, not saying they will but if they work at it they sure as hell will.
Not saying they can't improve; just that they are pretty close to the finished product. 

And as for can and will, that's the rub.  Anything is possible but I am basing my thoughts on what is probable.  Just like people kept waiting for Rondo to improve his shooting, I predict those waiting for these two to make the jump will be sorely disappointed.

Now there is one wildcard in my mind.  Role players like these two are greatly impacted by what's around them.  If they are asked to play a specific role on a good team it is possible either could shine.  Doesn't mean they got better, just that the circumstances got better.

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 06:53:08 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
Sullinger still seems like a guy, to me, that has a lot of potential. The more poised he gets, the better decisions he'll make but I do think he's got good instincts and can improve. If you want an example of a player who improved in big ways after the age of 24, look no further than David Lee.

Olynyk might be as good as he'll ever be but as he gets older he'll get smarter and if he winds up being an intelligent 12 point, 7 rebound player I'll take it.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 08:53:33 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
They are both really solid young players.  Neither is a superstar, but that doesn't mean they aren't extremely talented.

My personal belief is that we should keep Kelly around and probably look to move Sully for a promising young wing. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 08:55:17 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

I don't think anyone is talking about either of them like they are the future, but rather like they could be an important part of the future. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2015, 09:10:05 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
Hard to imagine at this point that the team sees all that much of a future in either guy, given the moves so far this off-season.

I doubt that either Sully or Kelly will lose minutes to David Lee.  I expect Lee to play sparingly.  Probably a little more than Wallace, but not too much. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers: