Author Topic: It's hilarious how the fanbase has turned 180 and would "rather have" Wallace  (Read 25702 times)

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
The team is pretty clearly heading down that treadmill of mediocrity that everyone swore Ainge wouldn't get caught on.

Not yet. He could always blow it up anytime a la the Sixers.

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
Do people really think that if we make the playoffs again with a win total in the 40s -- and maybe win a game this time! -- that big name free agents will suddenly be clamoring to sign here?
No, but you can't deny that it would probably make our chances better compared to if we finished last in the East ::)

This is not a -------------> line.
This is a <--------------->

If you finish last in the East, you get a really good shot at the top pick in the draft.
Thanks. I think we all know that.
I just pointed out that finishing higher than last would improve our chances with the big name free agents.

This team just lost out on a player who chose the Bucks.  Are you saying that a two game difference (40-42 v. 42-40) would have made the difference?

Y'all need to come to reality.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
It's funny, sad and pathetic...all at the same time. This same board, that was eager to get Wallace off the team "for literally anything", now thinks that Lee was a bad move and "Wallace was actually good". All this just to put down Ainge.

Get off of Danny. Seriously. If that's too difficult, at least stop being hypocrits.

Yeah, don't get me wrong.

If you've read my past posts you'll know I am not Ainge's biggest fan.

But this was a steal for the Celtics.

Furthermore, it literally sickened me when I read some comments in the other thread from fans saying they were disappointed Wallace was traded because he was becoming a "mentor for the young guys."

I mean……..really???

Come on people

Tell ya what

If someone has Danny's contact info, give it to me, I'll contact him and be a mentor for the "kids" at a fraction of the price Wallace was getting paid. And you won't have to watch me stink up the court for 10 million dollars.

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
It's funny, sad and pathetic...all at the same time. This same board, that was eager to get Wallace off the team "for literally anything", now thinks that Lee was a bad move and "Wallace was actually good". All this just to put down Ainge.

Get off of Danny. Seriously. If that's too difficult, at least stop being hypocrits.

Furthermore, it literally sickened me when I read some comments in the other thread from fans saying they were disappointed Wallace was traded because he was becoming a "mentor for the young guys."

I mean……..really???

Come on people

Tell ya what

If someone has Danny's contact info, give it to me, I'll contact him and be a mentor for the "kids" at a fraction of the price Wallace was getting paid. And you won't have to watch me stink up the court for 10 million dollars.

It's funny because a lot of the Warriors are tweeting how they will miss their "big bro" DLee and how he helped the young guys on the team.  So maybe we won't lose too much on the mentoring. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
I like how one opinion can be conflated to "everyone"/"the fanbase"  ::)

David Lee sucks. Has nothing to do with Wallace, IMO, beyond the fact that I'd rather cheer for Wallace as our best cheerleader than Lee as our best player.

1.) It's simply your opinion that David Lee sucks

2.)For someone like myself that wants to see the Celtics win, I think it's kind of inane to prefer rooting for Wallace passing around the Gatorade on the bench than to root for Lee to help us win games.

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

I mean……..really???

Come on people

Tell ya what

As much as I thought Wallace was a professional - we don't need mentors - we need players. We just got one for free. Stevens is no ML Carr - he is not going to tank and I don't want him to. Play hard and if you don't make the playoffs then so be it - at least you gave it your all. I don't want to tank for what 8 consecutive years like the Sixers and collect all the lottery picks just to see them get traded or opt out of their contracts because they don't want to lose. When was MCW drafted and where is he now and what did they get?

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Acquiring David Lee:

- Makes the team worse defensively, somehow
- Means a starting spot will probably be used on a 30+ guy with no future here
- Makes the team more likely to finish in the middle of the pack
- Means we have to watch David Lee for at least 20 minutes a night 75+ times

David Lee on the Celts is basically a redux of Kris Humphries, without any of the easy Kardashian jokes.

Again, this is the wrong outlook IMO.

1.)Lee is a better player than you give him credit for (and yes I realize this is more subjective than it is fact.)

2.)If there was anyone else good enough to remain on the court and not have their minutes taken away, then Lee would not have been acquired.

3.) If you have no idea if Lee is part of the team's future or not.

4.) For me, it will be a joy to watch a good player from this year's NBA championship team play for the Celtics.

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!

David Lee sucks. Has nothing to do with Wallace, IMO, beyond the fact that I'd rather cheer for Wallace as our best cheerleader than Lee as our best player.

1.) It's simply your opinion that David Lee sucks

2.)For someone like myself that wants to see the Celtics win, I think it's kind of inane to prefer rooting for Wallace passing around the Gatorade on the bench than to root for Lee to help us win games.

Thanks for the awesome visual lol TP

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

If David Lee sucks then what does that say about Wallace?!?!  Even if Lee was worse than Wallace (who never played), the deal is worth it for the additional cap space at the end of the year.   I don't understand your logic.

Wallace on the bench is more of a positive contribution to the Celtics than Lee playing 20-40 minutes per game. I don't know if you're familiar with addition by subtraction, but the inverse is a real thing too.

Pho, per usual, types faster than me and makes the point better.

Although it's possible that Lee will spur on the rebirth of post play in the Garden as opposing teams get the ball down low against him night after night.

I'll never understand this train of though for the life of me. Like with PhoSita, we'll just agree to disagree and call it a day. Not much else left to say.

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
The team is pretty clearly heading down that treadmill of mediocrity that everyone swore Ainge wouldn't get caught on.

They will have enough cap space next year to sign 2 Max contracts.  Now people can complain that the free agents next year aren't good, and that nobody will want to sign here, whine, whine, whine, but the bottom line is that they will be in a position to do something big. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

If David Lee sucks then what does that say about Wallace?!?!  Even if Lee was worse than Wallace (who never played), the deal is worth it for the additional cap space at the end of the year.   I don't understand your logic.

Wallace on the bench is more of a positive contribution to the Celtics than Lee playing 20-40 minutes per game. I don't know if you're familiar with addition by subtraction, but the inverse is a real thing too.

Although it's possible that Lee will spur on the rebirth of post play in the Garden as opposing teams get the ball down low against him night after night.

I'll never understand this train of though for the life of me. Like with PhoSita, we'll just agree to disagree and call it a day. Not much else left to say.

Maybe if you read the rest of that quote you might understand the train of thought. David Lee is the very definition of empty stats. I'm sick of repeating it.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656

They will have enough cap space next year to sign 2 Max contracts.  Now people can complain that the free agents next year aren't good, and that nobody will want to sign here, whine, whine, whine, but the bottom line is that they will be in a position to do something big.

They were supposedly in a position to do something big this season, too.  They've kicked the can down to a year where more teams will have money.  It doesn't undo everything Ainge has done, but it doesn't make everything great, either.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Acquiring David Lee:

- Makes the team worse defensively, somehow
- Means a starting spot will probably be used on a 30+ guy with no future here
- Makes the team more likely to finish in the middle of the pack
- Means we have to watch David Lee for at least 20 minutes a night 75+ times

David Lee on the Celts is basically a redux of Kris Humphries, without any of the easy Kardashian jokes.

Debbie downer much? If Ainge managed to swap washed-up gerald wallace for a guy who's good enough to actually start for us, isn't that a win?
I think the biggest thing is that having a veteran start for us for a year is completely worthless to the rebuild, and possibly detrimental. Now our two biggest moves this offseason were to get two of those, and teams once again know that we have to make a desperate attempt to trade them to get any value out of them.

Well, having veterans are worthless to you but the "rebuild" is worthless to me. Seriously, if the MODS on this site banned the word REBUILD, I would mail them a check for $10,000.  If you're a Celtics fan, then you should want to see the team win and make the playoffs, not lose because it benefits some ridiculous "rebuild."

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Do people really think that if we make the playoffs again with a win total in the 40s -- and maybe win a game this time! -- that big name free agents will suddenly be clamoring to sign here?
No, but you can't deny that it would probably make our chances better compared to if we finished last in the East ::)

This is not a -------------> line.
This is a <--------------->

If you finish last in the East, you get a really good shot at the top pick in the draft.
Thanks. I think we all know that.
I just pointed out that finishing higher than last would improve our chances with the big name free agents.

This team just lost out on a player who chose the Bucks.  Are you saying that a two game difference (40-42 v. 42-40) would have made the difference?

Y'all need to come to reality.

I usually don't get into the treadmill/tanking/nontanking debate too heavily cause there probably isn't any one right answer. However, in the particular instance I will buy. If we had gotten the 6th seed (two more wins) and had pushed the bulls to 6 games because they were tuning out on their coach and battling injuries I do think it is possible some free agents could have viewed us differently than they do after our sweep by the Cavs. This is just my opinion, and obviously it is unprovable hypothetical but i don't think it is a ludicrous concept.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Maybe if you read the rest of that quote you might understand the train of thought. David Lee is the very definition of empty stats. I'm sick of repeating it.

That's great.

And I am sick of repeating that David Lee is a better player than Wallace and benefits the Celtics a lot more for the upcoming season.