Author Topic: Celtics trade for David Lee  (Read 82973 times)

Re: Celtics trade for David Lee
« Reply #405 on: July 07, 2015, 09:36:36 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Prolly the 2nd best offensive player on the roster.

Just like when Ray Allen was our second best offensive player. It only took people 3-4 years to realize he didn't play defense.

And Boston got a title in spite of his defense, so I guess there's hope for Boston with Lee.  ;D
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #406 on: July 07, 2015, 09:40:30 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
With no one better out there to get Lee is worth trading Wallace for. I wish I could find my old thread about Ainge needing to just get 2 bigs. I had hoped or better, but Ainge did deliver in getting 2 bigs that could probably start over who we had last year.

The other thing to consider is we now have a bigger expiring contract and for a more serviceable player to try to trade for Melo or Cousins or any other max guy.

« Reply #407 on: July 07, 2015, 09:53:27 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I like it.  We can't score or rebound.  We added a scorer and rebounder.  David Lee  is. immediately our best scoring big....not close.
Gerald Wallace, thank you.  Hard player, very good defender,good passer and rebounder.  No spot with crowder and jj. He does however deserve playing time.  We are developing.  Warriors can use him for only defense and it's worthwhile.  Why? Because they have scorers galore, run the basketball (Wallace can still fill a lane) and need wing defenders.
Good trade by both teams

« Reply #408 on: July 07, 2015, 10:41:28 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Great another over the hill player to take minutes away from youngsters...Enjoy the 40 wins while the teams tanking are laughing all the way to the lottery next year. The Celtics really don't want to compete for a title in the next 20 years...and if they think they can get Durant then hahahahahahaha. I hope Danny isn't that delusional but taking on Lee instead of just letting Wallace expire is just awful. Takes minutes away from youngsters who could tank for us. A strong tank is what's needed not David Lee!

Who's over the hill?

Check his per minute stats. It's pretty much the same as when he was an All Star. And I'm glad that he will take the minutes from the youngsters. He's way better and those youngsters will now have to prove themselves that they can be better than Lee to earn those minutes.

David Lee is 32. That's the only stat I care about. He has someone like Mickey behind him now who Stevens could actually develop into a decent young big and Ainge ends up getting this old man on the team. This team needs no one on the team playing meaningful minutes over the age of 26-28. It's about developing talent that was drafted. Should have just cut Wallace instead.

Nonsense.

The guys who should be playing on the court are guys who can contribute and help us get to the playoffs.

Now if by some slim chance, Mickey contributes more than David Lee, then by all means give Mickey the minutes.

But Lee is a proven commodity, Mickey is not

Also, the idea that anyone over the age of 26-28 should not get minutes is beyond laughable.

Dear Green Teamer,
    You're the type of fan that wants the wins and the instant gratification of a 1st or 2nd round appearance. I want this team to win titles. You tank and tank hard until you get a star. David Lee improves the team for 2015 and that's not a good thing. You think being on the treadmill is good? Then I guess Danny Ainge is the GM for you.

This will probably come as a shock, but everyone here wants to win a title just as much as you do. Most of them realize that developing our youth isn't the sure path to that goal that you seem to think it is. Also, you should read up a little on Celtics history with Ainge in chargebefore you tout Danny as a GM for fans who want to be on a treadmill and not for fans who want to win titles. He knows a tad bit more about building a contender than you seem to realize.

« Reply #409 on: July 07, 2015, 10:57:34 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Great move imo. Get rid of Wallace who I'd a waste of space on the bench and get a quality offensive/rebounding player. I think he's got a legit shot of starting on this team as I think one of Olynyk/Sullinger is gone via trade in the next few days/weeks.

Scalabrine seems to think that Lee will be playing a lot at the 5 on this team. He said he's a great down low scorer/passer and pick n roll player.

« Reply #410 on: July 07, 2015, 11:00:49 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Perhaps this was one of the three players that Isaiah Thomas was trying to recruit from the Western Conference!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #411 on: July 07, 2015, 11:27:24 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I have nothing to complain about with the David Lee trade.  Only thing to complain about is people complaining about it.

Nice job, Danny.   This is the most positive thing to happen so far this summer.   Poor man's Kevin Love.  I dig it.   

It's also kind of exciting, because it semi forces our hand to make an additional move eventually else we'll degrade the trade value of Sully/Oly (since I can't imagine them playing over Lee).  Looking forward to seeing how the rest of this offseason plays out.

« Reply #412 on: July 07, 2015, 11:36:42 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Prolly the 2nd best offensive player on the roster.

Just like when Ray Allen was our second best offensive player. It only took people 3-4 years to realize he didn't play defense.

Yet what is the likelihood of us winning a title in 08 without his offense?  I'd say pretty low.  He hit huge shot after huge shot for us.

« Reply #413 on: July 07, 2015, 11:56:30 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
28 pages of actual debate  :o

I think we found the new Rondo.

Now all we need is KevMcl32 and BballJim to represent the two sides and be passionate and intelligent foils of each other! This forum is coming back, baby!

« Reply #414 on: July 07, 2015, 11:56:42 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I have always liked David Lee.
Good job, Danny.

« Reply #415 on: July 08, 2015, 12:11:15 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
28 pages of actual debate  :o

I think we found the new Rondo.

Now all we need is KevMcl32 and BballJim to represent the two sides and be passionate and intelligent foils of each other! This forum is coming back, baby!
KevMcl32 sure as hell owned that last debate.  Majon Mondo was a disaster in Rallas. 

« Reply #416 on: July 08, 2015, 12:12:05 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I have nothing to complain about with the David Lee trade.  Only thing to complain about is people complaining about it.

Nice job, Danny.   This is the most positive thing to happen so far this summer.   Poor man's Kevin Love.  I dig it.   

It's also kind of exciting, because it semi forces our hand to make an additional move eventually else we'll degrade the trade value of Sully/Oly (since I can't imagine them playing over Lee).  Looking forward to seeing how the rest of this offseason plays out.

I get the feeling you're happy to take whichever position seems to be least popular or most controversial at any given time.  :P
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #417 on: July 08, 2015, 12:15:40 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

I get the feeling you're happy to take whichever position seems to be least popular or most controversial at any given time.  :P
I dunno...  If "controversial" = "usually true", I guess that's accurate.

I've only skimmed this thread.  Help me understand what the consensus is.  Why is there 28 pages here?   I thought everyone was pretty on-board with us trying to win as much as possible.  There's really nothing negative about acquiring David Lee.  It's not a big splashy move like DeMarcus Cousins or something, but anytime you can get a borderline all-star on a 1 year contract for literally nothing, you have to do it.   

« Reply #418 on: July 08, 2015, 12:15:57 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

V. possible but like hombre pointed out earlier there's a lot of overlap between Love and Lee as far as playstyle goes, and you're not likely to think too differently of one than you are of the other re: on the court activities.

I already detailed why I am not stoked enough for one thread, I think, but it's a pretty easy divide to figure out.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #419 on: July 08, 2015, 12:16:14 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I love this trade. I think that David Lee could be a guy we resign that retires here. Just the kind of vet we need, one who is pretty good in the short-term, and who will probably age okay, but is a locker-room chemistry guru.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner