Author Topic: Celtics trade for David Lee  (Read 82970 times)

Re: Celtics trade for David Lee
« Reply #375 on: July 07, 2015, 07:56:14 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
So we go from being too small on draft night to too big?

Amir  Zeller. Mickey
Sullinger. Lee. Olynyk
Crowder. Jerebko. Young
Bradley. Smart. Hunter.
Thomas. Rozier.  Turner

Can Crowder and Jerebko really play SF 75-80% of the time?

« Reply #376 on: July 07, 2015, 07:57:46 PM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
Great another over the hill player to take minutes away from youngsters...Enjoy the 40 wins while the teams tanking are laughing all the way to the lottery next year. The Celtics really don't want to compete for a title in the next 20 years...and if they think they can get Durant then hahahahahahaha. I hope Danny isn't that delusional but taking on Lee instead of just letting Wallace expire is just awful. Takes minutes away from youngsters who could tank for us. A strong tank is what's needed not David Lee!

Who's over the hill?

Check his per minute stats. It's pretty much the same as when he was an All Star. And I'm glad that he will take the minutes from the youngsters. He's way better and those youngsters will now have to prove themselves that they can be better than Lee to earn those minutes.

David Lee is 32. That's the only stat I care about. He has someone like Mickey behind him now who Stevens could actually develop into a decent young big and Ainge ends up getting this old man on the team. This team needs no one on the team playing meaningful minutes over the age of 26-28. It's about developing talent that was drafted. Should have just cut Wallace instead.

Nonsense.

The guys who should be playing on the court are guys who can contribute and help us get to the playoffs.

Now if by some slim chance, Mickey contributes more than David Lee, then by all means give Mickey the minutes.

But Lee is a proven commodity, Mickey is not

Also, the idea that anyone over the age of 26-28 should not get minutes is beyond laughable.

Dear Green Teamer,
    You're the type of fan that wants the wins and the instant gratification of a 1st or 2nd round appearance. I want this team to win titles. You tank and tank hard until you get a star. David Lee improves the team for 2015 and that's not a good thing. You think being on the treadmill is good? Then I guess Danny Ainge is the GM for you.

« Reply #377 on: July 07, 2015, 08:00:58 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
I love the trade.  It gives us a veteran presence on the inside who can still score and play in this league.  He will be valuable helping the young bigs.  If it does not work out, Lee will be a valuable trade chip at the trade deadline to a) a contender who wants his inside presence or b) to a team looking to clear cap space.
Trading a 15mil contract is very tough to do at the trade deadline.  Good teams are very unlikely to have enough matching salaries that they want to trade.  Why would a team looking to clear cap space acquire a 15mil contract?  Are they going to dump a 20mil contract back on us? 

« Reply #378 on: July 07, 2015, 08:01:04 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
So we go from being too small on draft night to too big?

Amir  Zeller. Mickey
Sullinger. Lee. Olynyk
Crowder. Jerebko. Young
Bradley. Smart. Hunter.
Thomas. Rozier.  Turner

Can Crowder and Jerebko really play SF 75-80% of the time?

Pretty sure Turner and Crowder soak up most of the SF playing time.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #379 on: July 07, 2015, 08:01:06 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
It's fascinating to watch, that with a trade which can logically be viewed as either a good, or a bad, one, the homers attacking everyone who disagrees with the "sunshine day!" side of things, all the while claiming that it's the less optimistic posters who are the problem.

I think it's because one contingent of fans tends to like things which appear to be a "win now" move, and are offended by the notion that such a move could be viewed as a "bad" thing by people who profess to be fans of the team.

I would just want to know how trading one player for a better player who has a better expiring contract could be considered to be a bad thing on any planet.  I could understand if we gave up a pick or a promising young player like Sully or Olynyk, but we basically gave up NOTHING.

Lol..it is actually funny. It is like trading a yugo that does not start for a Cadillac. 50 percent in this thread would bne upset with the Cadillac since keeping the Yugo might miraculously morph into a Ferrari or stop us from getting one. I look forward to having someone who who can score and apreciates great tradition.

« Reply #380 on: July 07, 2015, 08:17:43 PM »

Offline DraftSmart33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
Great another over the hill player to take minutes away from youngsters...Enjoy the 40 wins while the teams tanking are laughing all the way to the lottery next year. The Celtics really don't want to compete for a title in the next 20 years...and if they think they can get Durant then hahahahahahaha. I hope Danny isn't that delusional but taking on Lee instead of just letting Wallace expire is just awful. Takes minutes away from youngsters who could tank for us. A strong tank is what's needed not David Lee!

Who's over the hill?

Check his per minute stats. It's pretty much the same as when he was an All Star. And I'm glad that he will take the minutes from the youngsters. He's way better and those youngsters will now have to prove themselves that they can be better than Lee to earn those minutes.

David Lee is 32. That's the only stat I care about. He has someone like Mickey behind him now who Stevens could actually develop into a decent young big and Ainge ends up getting this old man on the team. This team needs no one on the team playing meaningful minutes over the age of 26-28. It's about developing talent that was drafted. Should have just cut Wallace instead.

Nonsense.

The guys who should be playing on the court are guys who can contribute and help us get to the playoffs.

Now if by some slim chance, Mickey contributes more than David Lee, then by all means give Mickey the minutes.

Also, the idea that anyone over the age of 26-28 should not get minutes is beyond laughable.

Dear Green Teamer,
    You're the type of fan that wants the wins and the instant gratification of a 1st or 2nd round appearance. I want this team to win titles. You tank and tank hard until you get a star. David Lee improves the team for 2015 and that's not a good thing. You think being on the treadmill is good? Then I guess Danny Ainge is the GM for you.

Dear Front-Running, Yankee Loving, Pink Hat Fanboy,

Thank you for being a perfect example what a New England sports fan has become and what I never hope my children will be.

Thanks again,

Life Long Celtics, Bruins, Patriots, Red Sox Fan (win or lose)

« Reply #381 on: July 07, 2015, 08:19:03 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Who's over the hill?

It's pretty unlikely Mickey ever becomes as good as David Lee was a year ago.  Probably unlikely he even becomes as good as Lee is now - but if he does I'd be happy.

Anyway I don't care for giving young guys minutes just for the sake of giving young guys minutes.  That makes sense when you're in tank mode, as we were in 2013/14.  That has changed since we made the playoffs last year, and Danny has now very clearly transitioned into 'win now' (or at least, 'win as soon as possible') mode.

When your aim is that, then giving young guys undeserved minutes makes no sense.  If they want those minutes then let them earn the playing time by outworking those vets in practice and in garbage time minutes.  This is no charity - playing time should be earned, not gifted.

« Reply #382 on: July 07, 2015, 08:26:35 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
The funniest part is that everybody hear has complained with this move because it might actually help us win more games, which makes us worse at tanking, which (in their mind) makes us less likely to get a star.

As if tanking gives you a high chance of getting a star...

But anyway the funny part is that if we somehow managed to make a trade of  Wallace, Sully and  the Brooklyn Pick for Carmelo Anthony we would still have a large group of people whinging and complaining because we got Carmelo the "black hole ball hog who isn't a winner".

Yet when we get guys who are support pieces and who aren't "black hole ball hogs" and who ARE "winners" then we get bagged out because we didn't get a star.

If we tanked and got a top 3 pick, drafted a guy like Embiid, then right now everybody would be criticising Danny for wasting a top 3 pick on a guy who can't play.

If we got Wiggins, then everybody would be blaming Danny for getting another wing player and not drafting a rim protector.

You can't please everybody - simple fact.  So Danny is doing what he should be doing, which is making moves that help the team win.

You people can try all you want to tell me that being a 12 win team is closer to a championship than being a 50 win team - I'll tell you that you're wrong.

« Reply #383 on: July 07, 2015, 08:26:58 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

Who's over the hill?

Nonsense.

Dear Green Teamer,

That you Felger? Nice to see you can regurgitate the rhetoric you hear on sports talk radio, any thoughts of your own?

It's a serious falacy to assume that just because we aren't tanking we aren't building correctly. Instant gratification would be if we over payed for short term fixes like Khris Middleton, Demare Carroll, or Tristan Thompson. Not saying those players are overpayed but they would have had to have been way over payed to be convinced to come here.

All of the moves we've made this summer have  preserved  our best asserts and cap flexibility while rewarding the fan base and players with a competitive product.

Sacramento bottoming out every year until they get enough talent to pair a mediocre overpayed vet -> Tanking

Pistons using all their cap space to sign Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva to obscene deals ->Treadmill.

Celtics signing quality players to short term contracts -> Rebuilding

« Reply #384 on: July 07, 2015, 08:28:05 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Amir Johnson + David Lee for our frontcourt is a 100% improvement over what we had to run out there last season.  And we gave up zero assets, aside from the expiring contract of Gerald Wallace.

This move is 100% WIN for the Boston Celtics!  We just improved our roster significantly and gave up nothing of value to get it!  David Lee, welcome to Boston!  If he even regains 80% of the form that he had from a couple of years ago, Lee easily becomes our best big man in the here and now.

« Reply #385 on: July 07, 2015, 08:34:09 PM »

Offline viulo

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
You people can try all you want to tell me that being a 12 win team is closer to a championship than being a 50 win team - I'll tell you that you're wrong.

TP. I couldn't have put it better (believe me, I've tried).

« Reply #386 on: July 07, 2015, 08:39:07 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I'm 100% on board with this move.  David Lee > Gerald Wallace.  It costs nothing in the long term.  It costs the owners $5 million more in the short term, but at this point they were already over the cap.  Will there be another move?  Maybe.  Does there need to be?  No.  Should Olynyk and Sullinger walk into training camp thinking they've got guaranteed minutes?  Absolutely not.

« Reply #387 on: July 07, 2015, 08:46:42 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76

Who's over the hill?

Nonsense.

Dear Green Teamer,

Yeah...because tanking has been so successful and teams have won so many championships by tanking hard.  I remember when Danny tanked to get the last Big 3.  And Miami tanked to get LBJ and Bosh.  And all the teams that have gotten a top 3 pick in the draft have all won championships.  Oh, wait a minute...tanking doesn't get you any closer to a championship than trades, free agent signings, etc.
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #388 on: July 07, 2015, 08:53:46 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Amir Johnson + David Lee for our frontcourt is a 100% improvement over what we had to run out there last season.  And we gave up zero assets, aside from the expiring contract of Gerald Wallace.

This move is 100% WIN for the Boston Celtics!  We just improved our roster significantly and gave up nothing of value to get it!  David Lee, welcome to Boston!  If he even regains 80% of the form that he had from a couple of years ago, Lee easily becomes our best big man in the here and now.

THANK YOU! Here's a TP! Are people forgetting that in the playoffs the Celtics were starting Brandon Bass and Tyler Zeller at power forward and center respectively? I love those two guys but they shouldn't be starting for your playoff team! Are Amir Johnson and David Lee those ideal guys? No, but they are definitely upgrades from what we had before AND they fill a need the Celtics desperately needed to fill: Rebounding. And Lee should give the Celtics another player who can create his own offense consistently. Another need filled.

I want to clarify that Lee is NOT over the hill. He might not be the player that he may have been in 2013 but he's not washed up. I watched him in the finals just as I'm sure you all did. He can still bring it on the court. The Warriors didn't stop playing him because he sucked. It's because he didn't fit on their team anymore and he was pretty expendable after Green exploded this year as one of the league's best swiss army knife players. Better yet what makes Lee good is he has great fundamentals for a big. He may not stretch the floor as a 3-pt shooter but he had a respectable mid-range game and is great in the post with both of his hands. He also is a terrific passer for a big and moves around. That is a big that fits with Brad Stevens' style. Defensively he's no KG, in fact he could very well be the opposite, but Brad has a knack for covering up the Celtics' issues on defense. I'm excited to watch him and Johnson play together even if they aren't going to be the best frontcourt duo in the league.

This is very much like the IT trade. The Celtics went low-risk, high-reward player who was a misfit on his current team so they were able to get him for nothing. Better yet, Lee is expiring. He's going to play his tail off this year for his new contract and he might just be the motivation for Jared Sullinger and Kelly Olynyk to get it together or they are losing their spots. Plus I'd rather have an expiring Lee than commit long term deals to Brandon Bass and Lou Williams.

Remember, Brad Stevens turned Jordan Crawford and Evan Turner from throw-aways into actual rotation guys. Now he's got a former all-star still reasonably in his prime coming off an off-year. I think he can resurrect Lee.

I know those who want to tank or wanted more fireworks will disagree with me on this, but getting David Lee for nothing was a great move by Danny.

« Reply #389 on: July 07, 2015, 08:57:10 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Who's over the hill?

Nonsense.

Dear Green Teamer,

Thanks for the memo. I'll be sure to have my secretary take a look at it and get back to you.