Author Topic: Celtics trade for David Lee  (Read 82960 times)

Re: Celtics trade for David Lee
« Reply #315 on: July 07, 2015, 05:41:34 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
David Lee and Amir Johnson should start. Two best big men on the team.

Two guys who probably have no future here and will be gone in 12 months time and whose playing time will come at the expense of young up and coming players.

1.) You have no idea if Lee and Amir won't be here in 12 months

2.) Their playing time comes at the expense of no one. If those "young up and coming" players were any good, they wouldn't be losing playing time.

A player being young doesn't automatically make him good.

A notion I am trying to glue into people's minds but I am not getting very far.

TP. If KO or Sully or any of the other youngsters is really that good, they'll prove it with their play. I like those guys, but if they can't outperform an "unathletic, bad defending has-been" who's 32, they don't deserve to play and probably don't have much of a future here anyway.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #316 on: July 07, 2015, 05:42:24 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

If there are moves available that make us better, than they should be done. Playing for a draft pick should be the last resort. If everyone wants to see the yutes play for a draft pick, then watch the Sixers. Not meaning to be rude, but I want a winning basketball team, not a losing one.

We've just got a good 'ol fashion difference in basic philosophy here.  Nothing to do but agree to disagree.

Yup. That's cool.

Despite our disagreements, you've always been very courteous.

« Reply #317 on: July 07, 2015, 05:42:54 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
How soon can Danny trade Lee?

As soon as able AND we can acquire a top 10 pick for him.

Why would you trade an All Star caliber player you just acquired for a bench warmer? At worst, his $15 million comes off the books. At the very best, he gives you 18 and 8 and will be a great teammate. His averages say he hasn't declined from his All Star form either, so he's still a good player. He's not someone you build around, sure, but he's going to be a guy you want to build with. You don't trade those guys unless you get good value picks or young players that could potentially be him, talent wise and production wise.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #318 on: July 07, 2015, 05:43:58 PM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
Great another over the hill player to take minutes away from youngsters...Enjoy the 40 wins while the teams tanking are laughing all the way to the lottery next year. The Celtics really don't want to compete for a title in the next 20 years...and if they think they can get Durant then hahahahahahaha. I hope Danny isn't that delusional but taking on Lee instead of just letting Wallace expire is just awful. Takes minutes away from youngsters who could tank for us. A strong tank is what's needed not David Lee!

« Reply #319 on: July 07, 2015, 05:46:05 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1671
Great deal, depending on their intentions.  Seems like a guy you can let rebuild value in the first half of the season and then flip him to a team that thinks it can make a run.  ...or to a team looking to punt the season and shed some longer-term salary.

Not seeing the negative. If he proves himself an asset and helps you win games, trade him - somebody will want a big at the deadline.  If he doesn't… Then you wait for him to expire and you guys get your ping pong ball.

The only way I'd be unhappy with this deal is if they actually try to make a playoff run with him.  But I kind of doubt that's the case.

« Reply #320 on: July 07, 2015, 05:46:39 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

David Lee is a very good player.

If you don't care at all about defense, sure.

If you don't mind me asking, who in your opinion, is a good defender?

Just curious, because everyone on this blog says "he can't play defense" about LITERALLY EVERY PLAYER in the NBA.

For some people on CB, defense is the be-all and end-all of the basketball world. So we limit opponents to 85 points, but we score only 83. Who cares! Defense wins titles!

Actually, it takes a fair amount of both, but the ratio in Boston has been around 75/25 in favor of defense for quite a while now. Not everyone can be a defensive stud, and you also can't expect much from a team of lock-down defenders who can't shoot their way out of a paper bag.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #321 on: July 07, 2015, 05:46:56 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Great another over the hill player to take minutes away from youngsters...Enjoy the 40 wins while the teams tanking are laughing all the way to the lottery next year. The Celtics really don't want to compete for a title in the next 20 years...and if they think they can get Durant then hahahahahahaha. I hope Danny isn't that delusional but taking on Lee instead of just letting Wallace expire is just awful. Takes minutes away from youngsters who could tank for us. A strong tank is what's needed not David Lee!

Who's over the hill?

Check his per minute stats. It's pretty much the same as when he was an All Star. And I'm glad that he will take the minutes from the youngsters. He's way better and those youngsters will now have to prove themselves that they can be better than Lee to earn those minutes.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 05:53:55 PM by Yoki_IsTheName »
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #322 on: July 07, 2015, 05:47:53 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
BAAARFF.

« Reply #323 on: July 07, 2015, 05:49:37 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Look at the upside. You can call him "Dino Radja 2.0"

« Reply #324 on: July 07, 2015, 05:51:07 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

Dino was actually pretty good. His issue was that he smoked too much during the games and couldn't finish strong.

« Reply #325 on: July 07, 2015, 05:53:09 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
David lee was the difference maker in two games of the nba finals.  Lebron and company had no answer.  That's who were gettin ;D

« Reply #326 on: July 07, 2015, 05:54:35 PM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64

Dino was actually pretty good. His issue was that he smoked too much during the games and couldn't finish strong.

Dino vs Toni Kukoc battles were epic in a weird way.

« Reply #327 on: July 07, 2015, 06:04:29 PM »

Offline Celtics1973

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
I literally had just done this trade on 2k15 last week, but cancelled it because I didn't think the Warriors would take Wallace. I'm good with it. Atleast we have 2 offensive players on the team now.

« Reply #328 on: July 07, 2015, 06:04:56 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
We just traded a guy who literally can't play in the NBA for a player that can start for us and will lead the team in rebounding.

Naturally, more than half the posters on this board are devastated.   

« Reply #329 on: July 07, 2015, 06:08:27 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
We just traded a guy who literally can't play in the NBA for a player that can start for us and will lead the team in rebounding.

Naturally, more than half the posters on this board are devastated.   

Lol yep