Author Topic: Celtics trade for David Lee  (Read 82836 times)

Re: Celtics trade for David Lee
« Reply #135 on: July 07, 2015, 03:46:17 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
Lee is expiring, just like Wallace. We're not tanking (and are nowhere near bad enough to tank, unless we get rid of all our assets AND Stevens), and can (and should) be a playoff contender. I don't see how this move is anything but a positive. Lee is a much better player than Wallace. He might take some minutes away from Zeller, but I'm not so sure that'll happen. He also could build up some value himself and be traded at the deadline. This makes the team better w/o hurting us in terms of assets. Great move.

« Reply #136 on: July 07, 2015, 03:47:27 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
There has got to be another deal and I hope it is one that is shipping Lee out.

I love that Ainge traded in Wallace, a contractual "asset" for Lee, a contractual asset with some on court skill left.

I just hope that Lee is not on this roster for too long to block Sullys minutes.

And trading Sully now would be a huge mistake. Unless they see his offseason and think he is not going to imporve any.

I disagree about Sully. His constant weight struggles are a concern and he's had 2 of his seasons end early due to injury. If you can get solid value, move him.

I agree he should be moved. But if he in fact is getting in shape, then lets see if it has an impact on his play. If he comes in early and starts playing big minutes and putting up double doubles consistently, then his value will be much higher than it is now. So I think he should be moved but later in the season.
Lee taking his minutes would ruin the ideal situation (in my opinion) laid out above.

« Reply #137 on: July 07, 2015, 03:48:33 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
What if this scenario happened?  A GM calls up Danny and says, we are going to want to trade this guy we just signed to a max deal because our real star doesn't like him and would much rather have his friend and agent mate playing those minutes.  We couldn't let the guy walk because we invested two #1s in him but we will move him if you could give us a bench 4 back on an expiring deal.  We like that guy Lee who helped kill us in the finals.   Think you could come up with him? And maybe throw in a defensive minded guard on a good contract to make the money work and I think we have a deal.

« Reply #138 on: July 07, 2015, 03:48:50 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Well that is disappointing.

Don't we have enough problems finding minutes for Sullinger and Olynyk with Amir, Ty Zeller and Jerebko already on board?

Do we really need to add a PF who is going to complicate that even further?

Remember, this is not a team.

It's just an amorphous pile of assets that nobody wants.

Once upon a time, Daryl Morey and the Houston Rockets had a pile of assets that "nobody [wanted]."

Then The Beard became available. It takes two to tango.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #139 on: July 07, 2015, 03:50:08 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER

David Lee is a very good player.

If you don't care at all about defense, sure.

David Lee, like Kevin Love-rebounds
They both can throw the long outlet.

That my friend is also part of defense-team defense.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #140 on: July 07, 2015, 03:50:45 PM »

Offline viulo

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
I like it
No matter what he'll add to the team (and I think he adds a lot, he can rebound, which is more than we can say about KO or even Zeller...) it's a bigger expiring contract (that we can afford without going into luxury tax), so a better trading chip down the line. There has to be another contract there, I'm sure it'll be Pressey's.
For GSW it saves them money, either by paying Wallace less than they would have payed Lee (that's what Spears is reporting), stretching him or trading him for an even smaller contract (7 M, let's say) to save even more.

Lee still has game. He's kind of like Sully, with less future but better present.
And that's one of the reasons I think Sully will be out before the season starts. Next year he'll be up for a new contract (with a qualifying offer) and I suppose front office is on the fence about paying big money.
Right now he has value as a trading chip (unfortunately not as much as we could have gotten if he hadn't got injured, but still... - and in that area DA has been really unlucky - the Rondo trade was put off for a year, with a smaller return, because of his ACL tear) and it's time to cash in. Probably to find a good foward, if there is one - I've seen people here mentioning Chandler, I think that could be an option, but I'm sure there are others.

Even if Sully isn't moved right away, consider this:
Thomas-Bradley-Crowder-Lee-Amir
Smart-Rozier-Turner-Sully-Olynik
Plus Jerebko and Zeller trying to get minutes
And Hunter, Young and Mickey getting reps in the D-League.

For me it's a play-off team. The starting five mightn't be, but it's the best depth in the East, and noone can play the starting five 40 minutes a game, at least during the regular season.

« Reply #141 on: July 07, 2015, 03:51:20 PM »

Offline Dedalus

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21

David Lee is a very good player.

If you don't care at all about defense, sure.
that's the weird thing about this deal.  sure, Lee's a better player than Wallace right now but his D is pretty bad.  Danny's been drafting guards for their D.  doesn't make a lot of sense in that regard
Is Lee a better defender than Zeller?

« Reply #142 on: July 07, 2015, 03:51:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Don't we have enough problems finding minutes for Sullinger and Olynyk with Amir, Ty Zeller and Jerebko already on board?

Once upon a time, Daryl Morey and the Houston Rockets had a pile of assets that "nobody [wanted]."

Indeed, Morey's strategy was validated by the Harden trade.

Are we expecting another opportunity like that to come along?  Where does the Harden trade rank among lopsided trades in the history of the league?  How many GMs are now utterly terrified of making a similar mistake?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #143 on: July 07, 2015, 03:53:30 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
3 years too late but oh my :o

« Reply #144 on: July 07, 2015, 03:54:00 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
David Lee's rebounds, by the way, are notorious for being empty: he'll average 20-10 but his team will rebound less when he is on the floor.

This is something that has been known around the league for a while, but it bears repeating now that he's on our team.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #145 on: July 07, 2015, 03:54:14 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Lee is expiring, just like Wallace. We're not tanking (and are nowhere near bad enough to tank, unless we get rid of all our assets AND Stevens), and can (and should) be a playoff contender. I don't see how this move is anything but a positive. Lee is a much better player than Wallace. He might take some minutes away from Zeller, but I'm not so sure that'll happen. He also could build up some value himself and be traded at the deadline. This makes the team better w/o hurting us in terms of assets. Great move.

My thoughts are the same!  ;D

« Reply #146 on: July 07, 2015, 03:54:17 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Indeed, Morey's strategy was validated by the Harden trade.

Are we expecting another opportunity like that to come along?  Where does the Harden trade rank among lopsided trades in the history of the league?  How many GMs are now utterly terrified of making a similar mistake?

Don't know, but when an opportunity arises, then the Celtics gotta be ready.

« Reply #147 on: July 07, 2015, 03:54:53 PM »

Offline emajic1

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 12
I love this deal. 

As mentioned, Lee was a starter coming into the past training camp.  He played the good soldier, got a ring, (paid handsomely mind you), and now has an opportunity to show he still has all-star gas left in the tank.  Character guy.  He's in a contract year.  He can definitely score.  I like the odds of this working out well for the Celts.  And if not, the cost is relatively cheap, also factoring in the marginal cost of him eating up developmental minutes. 

Put me in the contrarian camp that speculates he plays here, plays well, loves it here, and gets a 3-yr deal from us at a much lower rate.  Fun to speculate. 

Nice article here by Sam Amick just a month ago.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/playoffs/2015/06/13/warriors-finals-david-lee-rebirth-joe-lacob-steve-kerr-stephen-curry/71199348/

« Reply #148 on: July 07, 2015, 03:56:52 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

Can't tell if this is sarcasm, don't think it is going by the general negative tone on the boards as of late, but the reason the Celtics made the playoffs last year was because they gelled as a team and played greater than the sum of its parts. Too much emphasis is placed on slotting positions instead of identifying skillsets and player combinations that maximize the talent we do have.

TP. You said it better than I could.

See: Who's post about giving starting time to two veteran players with no future here at the expense of younger guys.
pho, they pegged your post perfectly. if you dont like such comments then post better. you are clearly one of the best posters here and should live up to your abilities. you are better than someone who can only post negative, one line snark that is not accurate. such posts deaden cb with negativism, and hides your abilities when it should help us all enjoy being here and learn more about basketball.

you need to do better.
Agreed. And is the development of Sully and Olynyk moving the needle much for this team anyway?

« Reply #149 on: July 07, 2015, 03:57:17 PM »

Offline viulo

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11

TP