Author Topic: Celtics trade for David Lee  (Read 82835 times)

Re: Celtics trade for David Lee
« Reply #120 on: July 07, 2015, 03:37:44 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Unless my sarcasm meter is broken Simmon's is pretty happy.

https://twitter.com/billsimmons

That's his way of reveling in how silly / love-to-hatable the team is becoming.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #121 on: July 07, 2015, 03:37:46 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Classic Danny Ainge buying low on a guy with talent. I never thought of Lee as an allstar-level difference maker, even when he did actually make the ASG, but he's clearly way more likely to fetch an asset at the deadline than Gerald Wallace.

« Reply #122 on: July 07, 2015, 03:37:55 PM »

Offline Dedalus

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
Bradley, Sully and 1st rounder for Tobias Harris... lock it up.

I was trying to figure out a way to get Gordon Hayward here for the Butler reunion but Utah doesn't need our 'assets'
I hope you're right. God I don't care what happens to JS or KO. Tell them to stop coming to work. Let Jerebko shoot. It's obvious we're better without those two.

« Reply #123 on: July 07, 2015, 03:37:57 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Does this mean less PT for Sully?
I think getting Amir and D Lee is bad news for both Sully and Olynyk fans but works fine for me.

« Reply #124 on: July 07, 2015, 03:38:38 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
Idk why Orlando will do that. They already have a more skilled Bradley like player in Victor Oladipo. I mean Sullinger fits well, but I don't see how or why Orlando would do that.

Now I could see us going after Alex Len in Pheonix by flipping Sullinger and Olynyk over there with some picks because their stretch games would work pretty well in that Suns' system. Bradley fits pretty well too unless they expect Booker to start right off the bat.

« Reply #125 on: July 07, 2015, 03:38:49 PM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27
Solid trade for Boston. Gave up something for nothing.

« Reply #126 on: July 07, 2015, 03:39:46 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Unless my sarcasm meter is broken Simmon's is pretty happy.

https://twitter.com/billsimmons

I can't tell if his tweets are sarcastic either.  I have no idea if he is making fun of the trade or if he genuinely likes it.

« Reply #127 on: July 07, 2015, 03:39:48 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
There has got to be another deal and I hope it is one that is shipping Lee out.

I love that Ainge traded in Wallace, a contractual "asset" for Lee, a contractual asset with some on court skill left.

I just hope that Lee is not on this roster for too long to block Sullys minutes.

And trading Sully now would be a huge mistake. Unless they see his offseason and think he is not going to imporve any.

« Reply #128 on: July 07, 2015, 03:40:29 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I like this move for Boston.  We weren't going to ever be bad enough for a top lottery pick, so might as well make whatever roster improvements you can, especially at such little cost.  This should give the Celtics pretty strong odds of making the playoffs again.

I think Zeller, Johnson, and Lee will form a nice three-man big rotation.  They aren't an elite trio, but they are certainly an improvement over what we had last year.  I hope this means Sully and Oly are gone, I don't see how either has a role with the team now.

I think I would start Zeller and Johnson, and bring Lee in off the bench as the first big at either position.  Jerebko can get the rest of the minutes.

« Reply #129 on: July 07, 2015, 03:42:32 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
2015 David Lee = 2006 Theo Ratliff
Offensive minded / Defensive minded

But most of all Huge Expiring Contract....

Remember it was Theo's contract that was used to balance out getting KG!!!

Thanks Danny!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 03:47:50 PM by heyvik »

« Reply #130 on: July 07, 2015, 03:43:19 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
There has got to be another deal and I hope it is one that is shipping Lee out.

I love that Ainge traded in Wallace, a contractual "asset" for Lee, a contractual asset with some on court skill left.

I just hope that Lee is not on this roster for too long to block Sullys minutes.

And trading Sully now would be a huge mistake. Unless they see his offseason and think he is not going to imporve any.

I disagree about Sully. His constant weight struggles are a concern and he's had 2 of his seasons end early due to injury. If you can get solid value, move him.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #131 on: July 07, 2015, 03:43:40 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
Pretty sure Sully's the next one to go.  I doubt they trade KO unless they can get something decent back.

I think you are right.  One player started following another teams Twitter account during the draft, the other got asked to go out to Utah with the rookies to help mentor them.  If you had to guess which one is on the trade block, I think an educated guess could come up with it.

« Reply #132 on: July 07, 2015, 03:44:01 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Well that is disappointing.

Don't we have enough problems finding minutes for Sullinger and Olynyk with Amir, Ty Zeller and Jerebko already on board?

Do we really need to add a PF who is going to complicate that even further?

Remember, this is not a team.

It's just an amorphous pile of assets that nobody wants.

Can't tell if this is sarcasm, don't think it is going by the general negative tone on the boards as of late, but the reason the Celtics made the playoffs last year was because they gelled as a team and played greater than the sum of its parts. Too much emphasis is placed on slotting positions instead of identifying skillsets and player combinations that maximize the talent we do have.

TP. You said it better than I could.

See: Who's post about giving starting time to two veteran players with no future here at the expense of younger guys.
pho, they pegged your post perfectly. if you dont like such comments then post better. you are clearly one of the best posters here and should live up to your abilities. you are better than someone who can only post negative, one line snark that is not accurate. such posts deaden cb with negativism, and hides your abilities when it should help us all enjoy being here and learn more about basketball.

you need to do better.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #133 on: July 07, 2015, 03:46:10 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Pretty sure Sully's the next one to go.  I doubt they trade KO unless they can get something decent back.

I think you are right.  One player started following another teams Twitter account during the draft, the other got asked to go out to Utah with the rookies to help mentor them.  If you had to guess which one is on the trade block, I think an educated guess could come up with it.

Plus Sully is a FA at the end of the year and I don't think the Celtics want to pay to keep him. With all the cap space flying around next summer, Sully will likely get a nice offer from someone and I don't think the C's want it to be them frankly..

« Reply #134 on: July 07, 2015, 03:46:11 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

David Lee is a very good player.

If you don't care at all about defense, sure.
that's the weird thing about this deal.  sure, Lee's a better player than Wallace right now but his D is pretty bad.  Danny's been drafting guards for their D.  doesn't make a lot of sense in that regard