Author Topic: Rumor: Suns are attempting to move Markieff Moris  (Read 11079 times)

Re: Rumor: Suns are attempting to move Markieff Moris
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2015, 08:13:19 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I don't want any more role players on long money, and I'm fairly sure Ainge doesn't either.  People complain about being on the treadmill -- one of the surest ways of staying on the treadmill is to have that not-good-enough but not-bad-enough team completely under contract for multiple years.  You don't get the top draft picks to get better, and you don't have the flexibility to make trades or add free agents.

If Morris were on an expiring deal, a couple of second rounders might make sense to see if a change of scenery elevates his game into a long-term keeper.  But for three years -- no thanks.  Even if he's worth his contract, there are only so many bargain players you need on your team.  Between our 8 players under contract for next season and 3 1st round picks next year, we already have enough roster spots devoted to bargains.

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2015, 08:35:51 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I thought he and his brother were inseparable.  Don't they have matching tattoos and everything?   

I had to guess he would be upset with the Suns after they traded away his brother. 
that's just super creepy

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2015, 08:48:29 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
didnt they recently have some off court legal issues, assault or something? Thought I heard that but could be making it up.

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2015, 09:01:44 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
didnt they recently have some off court legal issues, assault or something? Thought I heard that but could be making it up.

Yes.  Their legal issues (an assault charge) were mentioned earlier in the thread.

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2015, 09:05:20 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I don't want any more role players on long money, and I'm fairly sure Ainge doesn't either.  People complain about being on the treadmill -- one of the surest ways of staying on the treadmill is to have that not-good-enough but not-bad-enough team completely under contract for multiple years.  You don't get the top draft picks to get better, and you don't have the flexibility to make trades or add free agents.

If Morris were on an expiring deal, a couple of second rounders might make sense to see if a change of scenery elevates his game into a long-term keeper.  But for three years -- no thanks.  Even if he's worth his contract, there are only so many bargain players you need on your team.  Between our 8 players under contract for next season and 3 1st round picks next year, we already have enough roster spots devoted to bargains.

You're underestimating Morris a lot. He's easily the better twin. He's the PF one and is still young (25)

Stats

PPG 15.3
RPG 6.2
MPG 31.5
FG% 46.5
FT% 76.3
3PT% 31.8 (179 attempts last season)

Contract
15-16   8M
16-17   7.4M
17-18   8M
18-19   8.6M

His age and contract are excellent value for the type of production he provides. He's also very durable and has only missed 4 games in his 4 year career.

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2015, 09:09:47 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Phoenix sabotaging their own playoff chances ...

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2015, 09:24:19 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Holy Lannister Batman!

Re: Rumor: Sun are attempting to move Markieff Moris
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2015, 09:26:36 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
A forward who averages 7.7 Rebounds Per 36 and 32% 3PT for his career?

Sounds like a guy who doesn't know if he's a SF or a PF...but who doesn't really excel at either.

Given our already highly desperate rebounding situation, replacing Sully with Moris doesn't sound like a fantastic idea to me :/

And I thought no one liked the tweeners on here. Now we want Morris?  ::)
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2015, 09:26:49 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
So what would it take to get him realistically?
Sully/Pressey and a second rounder?

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2015, 09:32:37 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
So what would it take to get him realistically?
Sully/Pressey and a second rounder?

I wouldn't trade Sully and I doubt they want Pressey but there has to be a deal we can strike to get this guy. The dude is really good. 6'10 and can stretch the floor - decent rebounder- age 25 with great contract. Get er done!

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2015, 09:37:02 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

You're underestimating Morris a lot. He's easily the better twin. He's the PF one and is still young (25)

Stats

PPG 15.3
RPG 6.2
MPG 31.5
FG% 46.5
FT% 76.3
3PT% 31.8 (179 attempts last season)

Contract
15-16   8M
16-17   7.4M
17-18   8M
18-19   8.6M

His age and contract are excellent value for the type of production he provides. He's also very durable and has only missed 4 games in his 4 year career.

I'm not.  Look, he's not bad.  Role player oughtn't be an insult.  You need some of those, as LeBron James can attest to.  But you need space for stars as well.  I don't think you need to get our stars first and then build a team -- I think if anything recent offseasons have shown us stars aren't interested in that model.  But a championship team really needs two of them.  Scheming can take away one in the playoffs, but it's hard to scheme away two.  And stars both cost money and take up roster space, and our current roster just needs stars.  Anyone else we add ought to be on one-year deals, like Johnson and Jerebko.  We're overloaded with value - we need marginal utility now.  Morris is fine, but he doesn't elevate this team at this point even if he's a good locker room guy, and that part of him is certainly up for debate.

We project right now to have $52 million in cap room next season, with a solid guard rotation, but need for some real star power in the front court.  Max salary guys will command $25-30 million.  Morris gets in the way of that flexibility, and doesn't add enough to warrant such a loss.  If Crowder had walked away on a large offer, it might be different.  But he stayed, and that's all the long-term non-star salary we should be adding this summer.

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2015, 09:43:07 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney

[/quote]

I'm not.  Look, he's not bad.  Role player oughtn't be an insult.  You need some of those, as LeBron James can attest to.  But you need space for stars as well.  I don't think you need to get our stars first and then build a team -- I think if anything recent offseasons have shown us stars aren't interested in that model.  But a championship team really needs two of them.  Scheming can take away one in the playoffs, but it's hard to scheme away two.  And stars both cost money and take up roster space, and our current roster just needs stars.  Anyone else we add ought to be on one-year deals, like Johnson and Jerebko.  We're overloaded with value - we need marginal utility now.  Morris is fine, but he doesn't elevate this team at this point even if he's a good locker room guy, and that part of him is certainly up for debate.

We project right now to have $52 million in cap room next season, with a solid guard rotation, but need for some real star power in the front court.  Max salary guys will command $25-30 million.  Morris gets in the way of that flexibility, and doesn't add enough to warrant such a loss.  If Crowder had walked away on a large offer, it might be different.  But he stayed, and that's all the long-term non-star salary we should be adding this summer.
[/quote]

Couldn't he be viewed as another 'asset?' Proven role players in the NBA are worth more then low draft picks or guys like KO.
I kind of see him as a similar piece as IT, favorable contract but plays a position where we have a crowd... At the very least he is a serviceable player with a favorable contract, wouldn't that combination help us if we wanted to use him for a potential trade this year or next?
I think the quality of player we could land would be far superior with a combo of Morris and a 1st rounder then JJ or KO + a first rounder.

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2015, 09:45:35 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think Markieff Morris is a top 10 PF in the league. I love his game. Two way player.

Above average player on both ends of the court. One of the most versatile scoring PFs in the league. He can score in transition. In the halfcourt. Out of the low post, in PnRs, PnPs, he can put the ball on the floor and drive and finish at the basket, he has a midrange game, he has a long two point shot, he can shoot the three point shot. He can score along the baseline, the wings, top of the key. He is a solid passer. Markieff Morris is one of the most versatile offensive PFs in the league. He is really good defensively too. Good defensive range at PF. He has the size and muscle to body up on bigger players but the quickness and mobility to guard out on the floor. He plays good team defense. He helps his teammates.

I wish he'd rebound a little more but I can live with that when I am getting that type of quality offensively and defensively from my PF. Similar type of player to a young Paul Millsap or David West. One of the best up and coming PFs in the league.

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2015, 10:11:47 AM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
Markieff Morris is a definite upgrade over Sullinger and Olynyk at the 4. If we could consolidate those two players into Markieff Morris somehow it would be a signifcant boost to our roster. He is on a super affordable contract for his production' especialy considering the money being thrown around right now.  He would be paid 15 million per if he was looking for a contract right now for sure. If I was Danny, I'd look to deal Sully and Olynyk and then grab Morris.

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2015, 10:14:35 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I prefer Sullinger.