Author Topic: What can we get for Sully (Wallace if needed) and picks?  (Read 5269 times)

What can we get for Sully (Wallace if needed) and picks?
« on: July 07, 2015, 12:25:38 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
ok a few assumptions for this thread:

1. We should trade Sully before he becomes a RFA next summer. Lots of teams will have money and miss out and someone will overpay him leaving us to match and overpay or lose him for nothing. He could prove me wrong this year, but for this thread I want to explore trading him.

2. We will likely need to overpay in a trade at some point. Opportunity cost. We want to be a FA destination, don't have enough talent and have a ton of picks. Seems easy, cash in. As others have said over and over our picks are not s good as we may have wanted to think, so we'll end up overpaying.

So if Ainge started making calls where he would give high offers to vets that could help us where they take back Sully and if need be for salary Wallace. Who could he target?

Re: What can we get for Sully (Wallace if needed) and picks?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 01:58:53 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Just opened up a Markieff Moris thread, I'd say that's not too bad of a return for Sullinger.

Durable. Team friendly contract. Hits 3. Blocks shots.

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 04:56:43 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
What about Big Al or Noah? What would we have to give in addition to Wallace and Sully to get one of these guys?

Sully + Wallace's contract + X = Noah (or Big Al)

Big Al or Noah/Zeller
Johnson/JJ/KO
Cowder/Turner
AB/IT
Smart/Rozier

If everyone gels, that could be a top 4 in the east. I don't know how much these guys have left though. You'd think both team would like to keep their guy (Jefferson and Noah) so we would have to over pay. I'm not really high on either guy, just trying to spitball some ideas.

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 05:17:47 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
Just opened up a Markieff Moris thread, I'd say that's not too bad of a return for Sullinger.

Durable. Team friendly contract. Hits 3. Blocks shots.

I checked The Bright Side of the Sun for feedback on the Morii twins. Right now nobody can stand them. Very troublesome for chemistry.

I do not want this gentleman aboard.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 05:30:33 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
What about Big Al or Noah? What would we have to give in addition to Wallace and Sully to get one of these guys?

Big Al or Noah/Zeller
Johnson/JJ/KO
Cowder/Turner
AB/IT
Smart/Rozier

If everyone gels, that could be a top 4 in the east. I don't know how much these guys have left though. You'd think both team would like to keep their guy (Jefferson and Noah) so we would have to over pay. I'm not really high on either guy, just trying to spitball some ideas.

I think Noah is a good target. Not sure if CHI wishes to take on Sully. They have like 5 PF under contract right now.

On the other hand, a huge hole at back-up PG. AB+ET for Noah? To clarify, ET is the ball handler in the trade :)
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 06:00:56 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
I think the best thing to do is wait until Sully plays well in his contract year and then trade him to some team that has bought in to re-signing him. Otherwise, he doesn't have a heck of a lot of value right now. If he plays the same as before his value will just kind of stay the same. If he plays worse/gets injured again, he walks or we get him for cheap money.

Even if he does improve I'm not confident that he will keep it up after signing a big deal. People do mature but he strikes me as someone who learned bad habits as a kid since he was more talented than anyone else. He never needed to get in shape before, but now he's in the NBA and he can't muscle people around. Still, he's talented enough to "get by" and that's what I think he'll do: have a 10-year+ career of being a fringe starter and backup.

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 06:10:46 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
Yeah Turner is another guy that would make sense to trade as his contract is up after this year and may be able to get more than he is worth to us. He is not imo a long term answer but he did win us a lot of games that we would have otherwise lost with his ball handling playmaking and scoring streaks. If smart or Rozier can step up, fine. if not, it costs us some games and the idea at least with Noah or Big Al is to win as many games as you can now and hope for Durrant or someone good again next summer. Little by little, better and better until we get a big fish.

Noah might be a good target. He makes like 13 mil next year and thats his last year right? They have Taj and Gasol and Mirotic so it wouldn't kill them to lose Noah. I wonder what they feel about his free agency next summer. Here are some stony spitball trade ideas to get Noah

Turner Sully KO and Young for Noah
Sully Wallace and pick(s)* for Noah  *1 Nets of 2 other 1sts

Are those offers realistic? Maybe add another 1st to each?

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 06:57:42 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
I dont think the one playoff game is enough to get his trade stock too high.

I can however see a scenario where Sully really does get into shape, and is able to stay on the floor for 35 mpg and put up double doubles. A chiseled in shape Sully could easily be a 16 and 10 guy, Then we should trade him in season.

No point in trading him now.

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 08:59:22 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
I dont think the one playoff game is enough to get his trade stock too high.

I can however see a scenario where Sully really does get into shape, and is able to stay on the floor for 35 mpg and put up double doubles. A chiseled in shape Sully could easily be a 16 and 10 guy, Then we should trade him in season.

No point in trading him now.

Exactly.
And what's with the Noah's love? He's 30, have knees, ankles and feet pretty banged up. If Boston was a contender and we need a backup Center ok fine, Noah will bring something. But now, at this point of rebuilding? I don't get it.

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 10:24:18 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
good points in the last 2 posts. I really have no idea if Noah would be worthwhile and how much he has left. In the past I alway really liked his hustle and mentality and D.

I can see Sully playing really well for the start of the season. I bet he comes to camp in shape for once. Why? Contract year. If he puts up good stats we should def look to trade him. In fact we should probably play him a bit more than we should and try to feed him the ball a bit to inflate his stats so we can trade him. I wanted Tony Allen gone too and a lot of people have told me I was wrong about that one so I may be wrong here. But I do not want to give Sully big money no matter what he shows next year. Fool me once...

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 10:38:33 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Big Al or Noah/Zeller
Johnson/JJ/KO
Cowder/Turner
AB/IT
Smart/Rozier

I think Noah is a good target. Not sure if CHI wishes to take on Sully. They have like 5 PF under contract right now.

On the other hand, a huge hole at back-up PG. AB+ET for Noah? To clarify, ET is the ball handler in the trade :)

I would love Noah, but I don't think Sully, Wallace and picks are enough. We come out as clear winners of that trade imo

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 10:41:14 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Hmm, well, obviously an established player unhappy on his team would be nice (Cousins? lol). But if we're lowering our expectations to something more realistic, I wouldn't mind taking on a project, actually. I haven't done my research so I don't have any names, but if we could get a project big man with upside to be a defender/rebounder plus a pick, i think i'd be happy. Alex Len? I don't know.
- LilRip

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 10:50:17 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
good points in the last 2 posts. I really have no idea if Noah would be worthwhile and how much he has left. In the past I alway really liked his hustle and mentality and D.

I can see Sully playing really well for the start of the season. I bet he comes to camp in shape for once. Why? Contract year. If he puts up good stats we should def look to trade him. In fact we should probably play him a bit more than we should and try to feed him the ball a bit to inflate his stats so we can trade him. I wanted Tony Allen gone too and a lot of people have told me I was wrong about that one so I may be wrong here. But I do not want to give Sully big money no matter what he shows next year. Fool me once...

Amen. I am in this camp for most of the roster to be honest. I think we have some exciting prospects and a couple of guys can even reach an all star game or two if they maximize their talent in my opinion (Sully, Smart have flashed so far), but I also think that no one on this roster is going to lead us to the next banner. The focus should be on developing these guys as much as possible to get their stock up.

Dont forget the last time we were in this position, I am pretty sure we wouldve traded Rondo too if McHale insisted. The window would have been smaller, but it still would hae been a good deal. IF we get another opportunity to trade for a frachise player, then everyone on this roster is expendable.

All that being said, I would ear mark Sully and Smart for a trade bringing back top teir talent only. Keep developing them otherwise and only lock them up long term if the deal is extremely team friendly and very tradeable.

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 11:05:01 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think there are trades the Celts could make with Sully, but not really ones I'd be excited to do.

Example --

Sully + Wallace to Minnesota for Pekovic.  You could throw in Turner and get Kevin Martin as well.

Anybody interested in doing that?  Me either.

Or:

Want to trade Sullinger and Wallace to Denver for Gallinari?

They might be interested in that.

How about Sullinger + Wallace for Nene?  I'll bet Washington goes for that.

Sullinger is a young guy with weight issues and a history of significant injuries.  You can package him with Wallace to get somebody that might make the Celtics better, but you'll probably get somebody older who has injury problems of their own.  Most likely you'd get somebody with a contract that goes beyond this year.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2015, 11:10:29 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I dislike Sully as a player, I find him lazy and unprofessional but he is without a doubt our best rebounder.  His defense is poor.   After watching the summer league game last night, I think we need a defensive big who can board some.  It would be nice if he could hit a fifteen footer.  Whomever, it is has to be able to defend the rim and seal a box out and play help defense.  I 'd prefer a young guy who is athletic.

We do not have a lot of scorers so we need guys across the board who can play D.   Sully would be fine on a team that has a true rim protecting center who could cover him on D and rebound his missed threes.  He cannot play D at the NBA level, too slow.