Author Topic: Celtics vs. Jazz Utah Jazz Summer League Observations  (Read 2540 times)

Celtics vs. Jazz Utah Jazz Summer League Observations
« on: July 06, 2015, 11:44:06 PM »

Offline BraxVitto

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
I thought that this game was interesting to watch, there were things I saw many unexpected things from this Celtics squad that I feel need to be pointed out as food for thought.

1. RJ Hunter: This game was the polar opposite of what I and many other fans were expecting from the rookie. It felt like the man his offense in bed at the hotel, he did not score a single point in the 20 minutes Ihe played. But his defense was on point tonight, he was in the passing lanes getting his hands on everything he could, quick hands stripped the ball out from Exum and he did a solid job staying in front of the offensive players. His defense was by no means perfect but it definitely drew my attention because he seemed very competent on that end. If he pulls his shot together, which I expect he will, he could very well be a bit of a 3 and D type player. That could help the Celtics squad immensely.

2. Marcus Smart: The Marcus Smart we saw tonight felt completely different from the one we saw last season, he was very aggressive on offense, driving to the rim. drawing fouls, making 12-13 of he free throws. . He seemed a whole lot quicker in general as well, which does lead me to believe that ankle injury really did bother him last season. Still, he shot 2-10 on threes, he chucks them up like Antoine Walker still and I feel like if he shot less from deep he could put together games like this more often. Also, I might be showing a little bit of a homer mentality here but to me the refs were not very fair with Smart, they should not be letting Jack Cooley slam into him like they did without calling something. Even though he only shot 6-20 Smart managed to put up 26 points 8 assists 5 rebounds and one hell of a block. Very promising signs from the young man.

3. Jordan Mickey: Mickey seems like the type of player that Celtics fans are going to love should he make the roster, which he should if he plays at all like he did tonight. Mickey quietly had a solid 16 point game with 3 blocks, 4 rebounds, and 1 steal, shot a very efficient 7-8. He could be a nice second round steal if he keeps this up.

4. Terry Rozier: Even I was starting to feel the Rozier hype, super quick guard with nice handles and a bunch of potential. Tonight his play seemed rather uninspiring however. He put up 7 points, 5 rebounds and 2 assists. But he did play some solid defense and got two steals. I'm definitely not ready to throw him under the bus yet, it's one summer league game and I hope he learned from this game and bounces back tomorrow.

5. James Young: He looked like the James Young of last year until the 4th when he turned it on a little bit. Like Rozier there was some hype going for him gaining the 20 pounds of muscle and rumors of him being impressive in practices. But up until the 4th I was unconvinced much had changed with him, but he started to make a few shots at the end of the game. I really want him to become a great scorer like everyone else here so lets hope he got his feet wet enough in the 4th tonight to jump in and help the team win tomorrow.

6. Jonathan Holmes: Only played 12 minutes tonight, he was projected to be picked in the first round but went undrafted and ended up on the Celtics Summer League squad. But he was not very impressive although he did show NBA 3 point range draining a 3. Interestingly enough he went +1 overall though.

7. Phil Pressey: As a shocker to us all (not really) he did not play this game. Probably telling of his future with the Celtics.

8. Marcus Thornton: Thornton was only on the floor for 5 minutes. I would like to maybe see him a little more because he seems to have potential.

Those are just a few observations I had while watching tonight and I feel we learned a lot about the young guys on our team.

Re: Celtics vs. Jazz Utah Jazz Summer League Observations
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 12:06:30 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
Rozier reminded me a bit of Marcus Banks.  He's tiny.  I hope I'm wrong!!!!

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 12:22:34 AM »

Offline GzUP617

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 12
libermaniac you trollin right ?

I'd say that if Smart took about 10 less shots, than we'd see more out of the other guys. So many bad shots from the guy.  Less ball stoppers would be a good thing for us.

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 12:43:53 AM »

Offline amenhotep04

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
I thought Smart played tough, hard-nosed basketball. Some of his shot selection was awful, but that's the trade-off at this stage of his career. He was putting in the effort.

Rozier I thought looked pretty good for the most part. Plays like Reggie Jackson.

Mickey looked good for much of the game.

The rest of the guys I thought largely stood around and watched on the offensive end. The word, 'lost' seems appropriate.

Disappointed with the lack of rebounding.

That was a good Utah Summer League team playing in front of a large home crowd.

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 12:52:01 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Tiny??

He's 6'2" and 190 pounds with a 6'8" wingspan!

Small for a SG sure, but that's pretty good size for an NBA PG by any measure. 

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 12:53:15 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Rozier reminded me of nothing because he was barely noticeable out there.  Hopefully he'll make more of an impact on the next game.

To be fair, not easy for Rozier to do much with Smart working on his scoring.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 12:54:59 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
All 5 of the Jazz's summer league starters played NBA minutes for the Jazz last season.

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 12:56:31 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
I don't think we need to see much more of smart in the summer league.  We get it he's gonna be more aggressive, etc.  we already know what he's gonna bring to the table.  No need to get him injured.  Let the new guys play.

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 12:56:59 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Rozier reminded me of nothing because he was barely noticeable out there.  Hopefully he'll make more of an impact on the next game.

To be fair, not easy for Rozier to do much with Smart working on his scoring.

Yep. I'm fine with Smart working on it, though. Rozier will get his time.

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 01:00:48 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376

Tiny??

I know what the measurements are, he just looked really small.  I guess going against Exum didn't help things ;-)  In general, his first game was pretty underwhelming.  I'm a firm believer that if a guy is gonna be an NBA stud, he shows it to you almost immediately.  From recent memory watching Celtics summer league games, the only Celtics rookies that jumped out immediately to me as being special were Rondo and Big Al.  (This does not include Paul Pierce or 'Toine - who I never saw in summer league).  All the others are guys I watch closely, hoping against hope that they'll show something impressive, but most never panned out.  Smart included.  His shot is just so ugly that he'll never be a star.  Solid, gritty team player, sure.  Star, no.

I'm just fearing that Rozier won't be anything special.  I know I'm totally reacting to one game, but Rondo and Big Al jumped out immediately as being special.  So, I fear, based on initial impression, that Rozier won't be anything special.  Marcus Banks actually looked better than Rozier on first impressions.  Again, hoping Rozier proves me wrong cause it's only 20 minutes of game time.  Just giving first impressions.

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 01:45:05 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474

Tiny??

I know what the measurements are, he just looked really small.  I guess going against Exum didn't help things ;-)  In general, his first game was pretty underwhelming.  I'm a firm believer that if a guy is gonna be an NBA stud, he shows it to you almost immediately.  From recent memory watching Celtics summer league games, the only Celtics rookies that jumped out immediately to me as being special were Rondo and Big Al.  (This does not include Paul Pierce or 'Toine - who I never saw in summer league).  All the others are guys I watch closely, hoping against hope that they'll show something impressive, but most never panned out.  Smart included.  His shot is just so ugly that he'll never be a star.  Solid, gritty team player, sure.  Star, no.

I'm just fearing that Rozier won't be anything special.  I know I'm totally reacting to one game, but Rondo and Big Al jumped out immediately as being special.  So, I fear, based on initial impression, that Rozier won't be anything special.  Marcus Banks actually looked better than Rozier on first impressions.  Again, hoping Rozier proves me wrong cause it's only 20 minutes of game time.  Just giving first impressions.

I agree 100% on the Rozier size thing.  I made the same comments in another thread.  He looks like a really small 6'-2".  Looks much smaller than Rondo on the court.  I liked his energy / hustle, but didn't see a spark of anything special either.  BUT I think it is fair to give all the rookies a whole year of finding themselves and adjusting to the nba game.  If Rozier can contribute and be a rotational player this year I think he has done well.

James Young though will eventually get a much shorter leash.  I really saw nothing from him out there today.  Very disappointing.  I at least want to see a greater effort on D, or hustle or something, and I didn't really see it.  He seems to have the physical tools to at least be something in this league, but something doesn't seem quite right.  If Hunter can become passable on D, add some strength, and at least hit enough 3s to be a threat, then if I am James Young I start to get very worried about going back to Maine a lot.

Smart was pretty great.  I agree with the 'lets not play him too much this summer league and see what we have with the other guards.'  Smart is going to start this year, he looks fresh and ready for this season. 

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 01:53:50 AM »

Online droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I thought smart looked bad.  Sure, he was more aggressive but still not a pg and still not a shooting guard.  Every layup is contested, which means over the long run, he won't get easy shots (which he won't be a good scorer).  And he doesn't need to be taking shots coming off screens.  It's summer league so I guess you can call it working on his game but not impressed.

Compare him to exum who on multiple occasions blew by people.  In one instance he went by smart like he was stuck in cement.

So at the end of the day, I saw little from smart to suggest he will be any different from last year.