Author Topic: Celtics (0-1) vs Sixers (0-1) Jazz SL Game 2 7/7/15  (Read 37246 times)

Re: Celtics (0-1) vs Sixers (0-1) Jazz SL Game 2 7/7/15
« Reply #240 on: July 07, 2015, 10:25:02 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I thought Mickey would have done better at center than he has. Disappointed in that. Definitely a PF who needs to play alongside a 2nd big man. That limits his opportunities for playing time next season.

Really?  How many good 6-8 or under centers can you name in this league.   Ben Wallace, Wes Unseld?  Cowens and Russell were not the biggest when they played but they were out of this world athletes.   Mickey is a good athlete but he is not strong enough to bang with the big boys.

« Reply #241 on: July 07, 2015, 10:36:19 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I thought Mickey would have done better at center than he has. Disappointed in that. Definitely a PF who needs to play alongside a 2nd big man. That limits his opportunities for playing time next season.

Really?  How many good 6-8 or under centers can you name in this league.   Ben Wallace, Wes Unseld?  Cowens and Russell were not the biggest when they played but they were out of this world athletes.   Mickey is a good athlete but he is not strong enough to bang with the big boys.

I was hoping Mickey would be more like Jason Maxiell but Mickey is much thinner and less physical than I had realized.

« Reply #242 on: July 07, 2015, 10:38:29 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Did anyone else notice the lack of communication between Noel & Okafor. It's like Okafor intentionally sat forward so as not to converse with Noel. It was like 2 strangers sitting beside each other and not teammates talking about the game or plays or anything. Kind of strange.

« Reply #243 on: July 07, 2015, 10:49:50 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I thought Thornton is terrible , is is small,  can't hit a shot ......he is below scrub

I don't see that at all.

To me he looks like a pro, even if he didn't make shots or get on the box sheet much. 

I think his athleticism, defensive effort, ball handling, passing and ability to get his shot off were all impressive. 

Not much has been published about Thornton, but he put up very nice offensive numbers in college.  He averaged 17 / 2.5 / 2.5 his 4 year college career while shooting 43% / 40% / 79%.   In his final year he averaged 20 / 3 / 3 and shot 45% / 40% / 83% - kid is probably the best shooter on this summer league roster.

He didn't make many shots today, but created shot opportunities and most of them were good looks that just didn't go down.  I'm confident that he will find that his shot.

I actually hope Danny gives him a chance.  He's an underdog at #45 but he is an elite athlete (his pre-draft vertical, sprint and lane agility scores were all off the charts) who can shoot, handle the ball and pass.  According to comments from those around him, he is also a solid defendive player and an incredibly hard worker - huge motor. 

Main knocks against him have been that his lack of physical strength (he's only 6'3" and 177 pounds) sometimes counts against him when hurts him when fighting through screens, getting posted up, etc.  Other criticism is that his shooting form is inconsistent, although he has been a consistently excellent shooter his entire college career regardless.

I think he has potential to be a big surprise.  Not saying he's going to be a star, but If he adds some strength to his frame (gets up to maybe 190 pounds or so) I can't see why he couldn't be a good backup combo guard at the NBA level. 

He certainly has the physical tools with his athleticism and 6'7" wingspan. 

« Reply #244 on: July 07, 2015, 11:27:30 PM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
I hope all of the players are having fun. That's what matters, guys.

Maybe they'll get dairy queen afterwards.

LOL. Reminds me of JV team in HS. We played a super ghetto team (no fans allowed in their gym due to fights) that was awful, and coach used to promise the kids (during the game) that if they cut the lead to 15 they "won" and he'd take them all out for ice cream.

what do you mean by "ghetto"?

« Reply #245 on: July 07, 2015, 11:32:38 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
going to give Hunter a bit more time. I think his iq is really high.  The other guys don't know how to locate him.  He will do better with smarter more experienced players.

Mickey is a stretch 4 in the NBA right now.   Expecting him to handle Okafor and Cooley is ridiculous.  I want to see Taj Gibson handle Okafor.  Or imagine Gibson in his rookie year try to handle Okafor.    Sully or Lee will work better with Mickey

Rozier looks like a bad pick at this moment.  Marcus Banks part 2.  Alot of toughness, good strength but mediocre iq and shaky jump shot.  Was expecting more

« Reply #246 on: July 07, 2015, 11:43:17 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
going to give Hunter a bit more time. I think his iq is really high.  The other guys don't know how to locate him.  He will do better with smarter more experienced players.

Mickey is a stretch 4 in the NBA right now.   Expecting him to handle Okafor and Cooley is ridiculous.  I want to see Taj Gibson handle Okafor.  Or imagine Gibson in his rookie year try to handle Okafor.    Sully or Lee will work better with Mickey

Rozier looks like a bad pick at this moment.  Marcus Banks part 2.  Alot of toughness, good strength but mediocre iq and shaky jump shot.  Was expecting more

I seriously fail to understand how you can be so overwhelmingly confident in Mickey (despite him playing pretty poorly overall over the first two games) yet so quick to dismiss Rozier as "Marcus Banks Part 2" when he's clearly outplayed Mickey so far over the first two games.

Mickey had a solid game yesterday, but he was terrible today - absolutely terrible.  Rozier put up a solid contribution in both games.

Personally I think both guys have the potential to contribute and that neither should be dismissed after two SL games, but out of the two I would say Rozier has far, far, far higher upside. 

In the Summer League so far Rozier has been BY FAR the closest thing (excepting Smart, obviously) I've seen to a player with NBA skill / talent.  It's not even close. 

« Reply #247 on: July 08, 2015, 01:04:54 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
I thought Thornton is terrible , is is small,  can't hit a shot ......he is below scrub

I don't see that at all.

To me he looks like a pro, even if he didn't make shots or get on the box sheet much. 

I think his athleticism, defensive effort, ball handling, passing and ability to get his shot off were all impressive. 

Not much has been published about Thornton, but he put up very nice offensive numbers in college.  He averaged 17 / 2.5 / 2.5 his 4 year college career while shooting 43% / 40% / 79%.   In his final year he averaged 20 / 3 / 3 and shot 45% / 40% / 83% - kid is probably the best shooter on this summer league roster.

He didn't make many shots today, but created shot opportunities and most of them were good looks that just didn't go down.  I'm confident that he will find that his shot.

I actually hope Danny gives him a chance.  He's an underdog at #45 but he is an elite athlete (his pre-draft vertical, sprint and lane agility scores were all off the charts) who can shoot, handle the ball and pass.  According to comments from those around him, he is also a solid defendive player and an incredibly hard worker - huge motor. 

Main knocks against him have been that his lack of physical strength (he's only 6'3" and 177 pounds) sometimes counts against him when hurts him when fighting through screens, getting posted up, etc.  Other criticism is that his shooting form is inconsistent, although he has been a consistently excellent shooter his entire college career regardless.

I think he has potential to be a big surprise.  Not saying he's going to be a star, but If he adds some strength to his frame (gets up to maybe 190 pounds or so) I can't see why he couldn't be a good backup combo guard at the NBA level. 

He certainly has the physical tools with his athleticism and 6'7" wingspan.

Thornton is garbage.  Shooting mechanics almost as bad as Shawn marion

« Reply #248 on: July 08, 2015, 01:11:33 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
Is RJ Hunter just not shooting or is he just not getting the ball? I don't understand how our hypothetical shooter isn't even getting shots. Either our offense is a terrible fit for off ball jump shooters or they are avoiding RJ. Every time he was on the court it seemed that they didn't get him the ball. Can someone explain to me what happened today?

He had some opportunities but he is passing up the shot. Maybe lack of confidence. If he won't take the shot then they obviously pass the ball to someone else who will like Fair, Thornton.

Nobodies setting him up either. Hes stuck in the corner all day and there's never a kick out.  Might as well throw the ball into the middle of the ocean when Fair gets it because no one will ever see it again after he touches it. ::)

One thing I like about hunter is that if his shot doesn't go or he's not gettin opportunities he's not sittin around moping he's actually doing other things to help the team... Passing, steals, good man up defense.  He's a sniper from downtown.  His shot will come with time but right now he has the intangibles that make him worth the time to develop.

« Reply #249 on: July 08, 2015, 01:18:41 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
Observations before I turn off this train  :-Xwreck of a game:

2. If I didn't know anything about where guys were drafted, I would guess James Young was an undrafted rookie from a small conference who'd never played against real competition. He looks completely overwhelmed on both ends.

I beleive the school was the jeff green school of effort :-X

« Reply #250 on: July 08, 2015, 01:33:11 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Found my way back into the chatroom but with all I had to do to get in, I doubt people will be in there (if you can get in join me Thurs). I will go in every game (SL included) and wait for people to show up but I guess I may have to settle for game threads (no shade FLC).  Sadly, chat may be dead.  :-[ ???
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #251 on: July 08, 2015, 03:22:50 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Really wish Danny waived Bass, Jonas, and Gigi after the trade deadline. We lose 3 games last season and we would have ended up with Myles Turner. James Young and RJ Hunter are 2 very good shooters, both look like they need some confidence. I hope with time both get confidence and figure things out.