Author Topic: Preseason Game 1 grades  (Read 16795 times)

Re: Preseason Game 1 grades
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2015, 10:15:53 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
My thoughts
1. Smart looked great attacking the rim and getting to the line. If he is going to succeed on the offensive end in the NBA he needs to do those two things. His shot selection was bad, but he had 8 assists and only two turnovers. Not a bad audition for the full time ball handler role.

2. Rozier showed flashes of being able to get to the hoop, push the pace in transition and shoot. His on the ball defense was good but he got lost off the ball a couple times. In summer league I'm looking to see if players can show the skills that he needs to survive in the NBA, Rozier for brief period showed those skills.

3. Mickey could be a player. He has a great feel in the pick and roll, can roll to the hoop smoothly or pop for a jumper. He showed he knock down long twos, if he can move back his range to the 3 point line he can be a very valuable offensive player. His defense wasn't great, he did get a few blocks but his positioning in general wasn't good. He also got beasted on the boards, but since he is only 20 I think that problem will be solved when he bulks up.

4. RJ Hunter did an ok job of getting open but just couldn't knock down shots. On defense he did a good job paying the passing lanes even if his one on one d wasn't good.

5. James Young couldn't get open. His defenders either never left him or closed out hard and he was taken out of the game. He needs to show that he can drive closeouts or he won't get any clean looks at the NBA level.

6. Jonathan Holmes looks like  a mini LaMarcus Aldridge, they have the same body type and Holmes even wears the arm sleeves like LaMarcus does. If he can knock down his 3's as a stretch 4 he could stick on the roster (in the oft chance we make a big trade and need more players)
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2015, 10:32:37 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1676
I'm surprised at how hard people are going after Young... I mean, if an off shooting night means a 4-11 FG night, and if a bad passing night means 1 AST and 1 TO in 30 minutes of play, I'll take it.

Yes, he didn't have a good game, but not to the extent being presented in the OP.

This...

« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2015, 10:38:25 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I'm surprised at how hard people are going after Young... I mean, if an off shooting night means a 4-11 FG night, and if a bad passing night means 1 AST and 1 TO in 30 minutes of play, I'll take it.

Yes, he didn't have a good game, but not to the extent being presented in the OP.

This...

I have been going hard on him since before summer league. I don't think he is NBA caliber. 4-11 FG is a little skewed since one was a nice pass for a dunk uncontested and there was an undefended 15 footer. Except for one other basket that he actually looked athletic he was throwing bricks up. He can't get his own shot. He can't play D. His passes were horrific. I can't wait forever for this kid. Let's see how he does tonight.

« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2015, 10:44:22 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126

This...

And he's still the YOUNGEST player on the summer squad. BREATHE people... He will be good, just give him time.

I thought Smart was great, The P&R looked awesome with Mickey. He was getting to the stripe. Some of those passes he made were highlight real worthy. And he set a tone for the rest of the team. HUSTLE. They were all diving at every loose ball they saw.

Mickey was great. Shot looked nice, glad to see his improvements to his shot from the combine stuck. Gotta give TriBoy the tp for tooting his horn all season...

I really think a big part of the loss is that Cooley abused us and could get away with it. He had 6/10 fouls, and he should have had more. I really wish we had Iverson there to put on him, could have been a different story.

« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2015, 10:54:40 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Smart looked like the best player on the floor for either team, imo.

As for Rozier, he looked tentative but it seems like he's going to get it soon. I do think he'll be a solid player, but I just can't see a future with Smart+Bradley+IT+Rozier. Someone's eventually got to go, and I hope we get something of value when that person does.

The team sorely needs shooting and an inside presence. I don't even really mind the lack of a shotblocker but we sorely need bigs who can rebound. Will Sully save us?
- LilRip

« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2015, 11:01:19 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1676
Regarding Young, I think a large part of his problem (and a part that hasn't gotten much play on the forum here) is that his footwork looks bad.  It's hard to be athletic when you're just never on balance.  That's why he gets knocked off of screens on defense.  Not because he lacks the strength to fight through them - I actually think he's strong enough - but because his feet frequently aren't underneath him when he hits it.  Similar issue with his jumpshot.  You CAN improve/fix it, but it's a project. 

I'm going to watch for that tonight.  I saw it last night on one screen and a few jumpers, but I want to see if those were isolated instances or if it's a pattern in his game. 

« Reply #81 on: July 07, 2015, 11:14:14 AM »

Offline ChainSmokingLikeDino

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 96

This...

I have been going hard on him since before summer league. I don't think he is NBA caliber. 4-11 FG is a little skewed since one was a nice pass for a dunk uncontested and there was an undefended 15 footer. Except for one other basket that he actually looked athletic he was throwing bricks up. He can't get his own shot. He can't play D. His passes were horrific. I can't wait forever for this kid. Let's see how he does tonight.

::)

He's the youngest player on the roster. He hasn't really played one NBA season (large majority of last year spent in the D-League). The hyper speed need for assessment and progress many fans take is thankfully not how GM's, coaches, etc view the NBA. After 2 days of free agency people were calling for DA to be fired. Thankfully the organization takes a longer view. It has been 2 years of the Stevens era. Expectations that The Celtics would be through the rebuild already, similar to the complaint about Young above, are misguided and foolhardy.

« Reply #82 on: July 07, 2015, 11:14:47 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Summer league is so tough to learn anything from for me. The team played awful most of the night, and as a team they are brutally undersized. Smart did well he took a couple bad shots and was called for terrible fouls.

Like to see Mickey play against someone closer to his size, he started off good than got his ass kicked down low, he just didn't have the size.

Young needs to get off to a better start, he had 2 horrible passes, otherwise was average.

Rozier had a little stretch that he showed a flash, hopefully he can build on that.

Note: Exum has a Kobeish first step.

« Reply #83 on: July 07, 2015, 11:22:16 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

And Lebronesque refs

« Reply #84 on: July 07, 2015, 11:26:42 AM »

Offline greenmountain

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1
The game was a mixture of fun and tiresome.  The energy and intensity that Smart played with really elevated the entire game; it made it feel as if it was an actual game, with actual teams.   The rest of the team was a let down, but I think Rozier, Mickey, and Hunter showed encouraging signs.   Rozier is pretty athletic--really quick.  To me it looked like he was too hesitant, as if he didn't want to make mistakes.  I imagine that will wear off by the next game, and I'm sure the coaches will press him to be a bit more aggressive.

Mickey showed some promise.  Efficient scoring in the flow of the game, a little shot-altering with his length.   I'd like to see him try to create more, offensively, to get the ball and go to work more, just to see what he is capable of, offensively.   His shot seems okay.   He needs to hit the boards more, though.

Hunter is really intriguing to me.  I hope he gets plenty of minutes, because I'd really like to see his shots start falling.   Defensively he is a paradox.   People can blow right past him, but he's smart.   Three steals and at least three more strips and tips that either led to steals (one Marcus Smart steal was pretty much gifted by Hunter) or were knocked out of bounds.   He's a little like a SG Pablo Prigioni, defensively.   They're not going to stick with even decent athletes, but you can't sleep on them, either. 

« Reply #85 on: July 07, 2015, 11:28:54 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Summer league is so tough to learn anything from for me. The team played awful most of the night, and as a team they are brutally undersized. Smart did well he took a couple bad shots and was called for terrible fouls.

Like to see Mickey play against someone closer to his size, he started off good than got his ass kicked down low, he just didn't have the size.

Young needs to get off to a better start, he had 2 horrible passes, otherwise was average.

Rozier had a little stretch that he showed a flash, hopefully he can build on that.

I think with Summer League it only makes sense to talk about whether or not guys did what they should have been able to do.

Smart looked like a man among boys.  That's what he should have done.  Mission accomplished.

Exum looked like a guy with a first step that can get him to the rim almost at will against lesser players.  That's what he should have done. 

Young couldn't really make much of an impact, which is disappointing given the numbers he put up in the D-League.  But it's tough for most guys to get perimeter shots off in Summer League.

Mickey looked like he was quicker, stronger, and more composed than the bigger guys defending him, which is a really nice sign.  Also flashed a solid mid-range jumper.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #86 on: July 07, 2015, 11:32:02 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
He's a little like a SG Pablo Prigioni, defensively.   They're not going to stick with even decent athletes, but you can't sleep on them, either.

This is an interesting comparison. 

I've always liked guys who take advantage of the fact that opponents seem to believe they can go at them ruthlessly.  Scal was like that, a bit.  Guys just saw a goofy white dude and assumed they could attack him on every play.  He was never very good defensively, but he wasn't as bad as you'd expect, because he hustled and scrapped and did everything he could to make scoring on him an annoying experience.

Kelly Olynyk could stand to adopt that mentality.  Try to make up for your physical shortcomings on defense by being a pain in the butt.  After all, what made Kevin Garnett an amazing defender was not just his immense skill and talent.  It was hit ability to get into his opponents' heads and make their lives miserable on the court.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #87 on: July 07, 2015, 11:33:17 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
i was unimpressed last year but watched all the red claw games,the kid can shoot
 only now  i'm on young bandwagon because of work he put in off season and his attitude,-the guy will be someday more than good,rj can shoot and has length  but needs to work on lateral skills and strength-this is a screen dominant nba and he needs to build lower body strength to fight through those picks---maybe being a first class shooter doesn't allow for banging around on d but bird sure did

« Reply #88 on: July 07, 2015, 11:41:30 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

That's an excellent point about Mickey. I was very impressed with him, but Brock Motem kicked his but down low. If we hunk he's going to play center in the NBA were in trouble.

« Reply #89 on: July 07, 2015, 11:44:56 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418

That's an excellent point about Mickey. I was very impressed with him, but Brock Motem kicked his but down low. If we hunk he's going to play center in the NBA were in trouble.

Yeah. I was pleasantly surprised that Mickey has a little scoring touch but who knows if he'd get those looks against real NBA players.

I was dissappointed though to see him knocked off his spots so easily. From what I read, he is supposed to have a strong base which helps compensate for his lack of height. Wasnt on display last night. Something to watch out for.