Author Topic: Preseason Game 1 grades  (Read 16738 times)

Re: Preseason Game 1 grades
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2015, 05:16:01 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
mickey was impresive, A+
smart was aggresive, but a little bit out of control, and took about 3-4 forced 3pters. I loved the way he drove the lane.
young looks cooked, his nba future might be a spot up 3pt shooter as in 9th guy off the bench, that is if he starts actually knocking some shots down. He cant drive the ball, can't pass, can't defend.
Rozier i liked, i would love to give this guy 10-15 min this year at point.

my prime concern for this team is, will they make up their mind about wheater Smart will be a PG or SG.
if he is a PG, Turner has to go.

what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2015, 05:34:18 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 411
Young is garbage..said it last year..wasted pick and im a UK fan
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2015, 07:16:49 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
Game 1 was mirror image of last years NBA team--aggressive, no rebounding and terrible shooting.

MSmart--decent game;only offensive option, which caused him to take bad shots
JMickey--nice;only player that looked like the game wasn't too fast for him;best player drafted
Rozier--game needs to slow down for him, but showed flashes
JYoung--BIG disappointment;now he's a muscled up bad shooter with no other skills
RJHunter--looked overwhelmed, but you can tell he has the IQ;the shot will come as he settles in
JHolmes--now we know why he wasn't drafted
CJFair--decent showing, but definitely DLeague or overseas player

Sure could've use Iverson--no inside presence at all! Gonna make it hard to win--may be mirror image of our real team this season--AGAIN!

« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2015, 07:29:26 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Smart B+
Mickey B-
Young F
Rozier C+
Hunter D
CJ Fair B+
Thornton F

« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2015, 07:35:40 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
smart A- (clearly the best player on court)
mickey B , needs to box out
rozier C, but I like his handle
young F, jitters? he wasn't hitting shot, had a few nice passes but really sucked
Fair C, D league player
thornton F, d league
hunter D

« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2015, 08:32:34 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I was underwhelmed by a few players and wanted to get a take on everyone else's feelings after game 1

Smart- A+++
Drove the ball, played great D, and led in assists with great passes

Young- F-
Shot wasn't falling, defense was terrible still, and passing was atrocious

Rozier- C
He was invisible out there on offense and his defense was above average

Hunter- D
Constantly beat off the dribble, shot was not falling, but he was able to cut off passing lanes and get steals with his length

Mickey- C+
Offensively he was way better than I thought he had his shot falling the whole night, his D the main thing he was supposed to bring was not there, and he couldn't buy a rebound

All together I give the  team a C-
We had the same problems we had last season WE CAN'T REBOUND, PROTECT THE RIM, OR SHOOT 3'S!!!

...why couldn't we draft a center Danny  :-\
Smart - played well except I would have liked to have seen better shot selection.
Young - disappointed he didn't show more improvement.  hustled better and slightly better D but he needs to get his shot untracked and act like a real SG.  youngest player or not, he's going into his second year and was seriously outplayed by Exum who's also very young and Hood who was selected after Young.
Rozier - meh.  didn't see anything that makes me think Danny struck gold here and should have taken this kid over a bigger player like Portis.  didn't stink up the joint at least.
Mickey - has a better shot than expected but he rebounds worse than Bass.  Cooley may be bigger but Mickey was like a boy playing a man against him.  totally pushed around.  he's not pushing Sully or KO out of the line-up anytime soon.
Hunter - meh.  hope this kid's shot shows up or he won't be getting another contract after his rookie deal.

it is just the first preseason game afterall but someone other than Smart has to step up and show they can be something of value before summer league is over.

« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2015, 08:33:53 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Shooting percentages can suffer in summer league, because offense is so unstructured. This will be particularly true for a guy like Smart who is not a great one on one player. In a competent offense designed to get him open looks from 3 and good attacking angles to the hoop, it makes sense to think he'd shoot better. And like others have said his free throw numbers were themselves very encouraging...I'd rather see that than him hitting a few more 3s in terms of assessing his development. In other areas of the game he was very good as he should have been.

As far as the other guys go, my basic rule is "those who look great in SL have a possibility of being legit NBA players. Those who struggle in SL are in big trouble unless they're post-oriented big guys."

On that benchmark Young needs to do better - he's a vet (at least in terms of experience at this level). who should be dominating offensively and coping defensively. Rozier gets a pass because it was his first game.

« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2015, 08:35:54 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
Best highlight was when Marcus Smart missed a three and you could tell he was super frustrated so instead of keeping his eye on the ball-handler and starting to drop back on D he ran to a guy who didn't even look like was his assignment and stole the ball while they attempted to outlet to him and coasted in for a dunk.

It was like he was so frustrated about the shot he just activated his sixth sense and went to where the ball was going to be. It was hilarious and I loved it.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2015, 09:02:18 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Smart played solid and could drive!   But he needs to work on his shot more as he missed a ton of FGs and threes.  Oozes leadership. 

Hunter, his shot was not falling and his foot speed is lacking, but he has really good anticipation on defense and his basketball IQ is solid as he made good decisions and some solid passes.   I have a feeling the other guys do not want to pass to him though.

Rozier, lightning quick, could drive and bank shots, showed too much deference to his team mates I thought.  But he can get to the rim.  For being invisible, he had seven points.  I think he needs to believe in his speed and trust himself and play his game.

Mickey, I knew had some offense.   I thought he rose up and blocked a few shots.  I think he needs to get in the weight room though.

Young looked slightly improved on D, his jumper was absent though.  Too may off balance shots taken by him.   He faded, kicked his leg out when he should have just shot the shot.

I thought the small ball killed us, it only works when your hitting shots.   We got owned on the boards.   The refs must have been told to give calls to Exum and the Jazz.   I saw a ton of phantom fouls.

« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2015, 09:42:32 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
"Hood who was selected after Young."  excerpted from Slamtheking's previous post. 

Ouch!!!!  This is mega-painful. 

« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2015, 09:47:51 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
"Hood who was selected after Young."  excerpted from Slamtheking's previous post. 

Ouch!!!!  This is mega-painful.

Hood is FAR SUPERIOR to Young. I know we have so many koolaid-drinking Young lovers here but I don't see it. I can't wait 5 more years before he is actually good.

« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2015, 09:48:26 AM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
Smart: A+ (Got to the line (10-11 FT) and lead the game in points and assists. He showed an improved handle and great court vision. He ran the offense and looked as if he were clearly on another level)

Mickey: B- (Better than advertised on offense. Need's to rebound and set screens better)

Rozier: B- (Shifty and fast. Not assertive enough on offense, but he shined when paired with Smart on defense)

Young: C (He still had 12 points and showed improved defense. He showed hustle going to the floor multiple times)

Hunter: D (He looked lost on offense, but still managed to contribute elsewhere)

Thornton: F (D league this year. He played out of control and looked lost with the ball in his hands. The game is just too fast for him)

Looking forward to tonight's game!
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2015, 09:52:13 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I didn't watch much of the game until the 3rd quarter. Most of my observation boiled down to 3 players

Smart dominated that game, and easily I would say the best player in that game (better than Exum imo). Played D, shot the 3 ball, made his FTs, drove to the rim...did a little of everything. Thought that flagrant was stupid. It's a summer league game where games don't count, they are not important (more for rookies to show us something), but Smart came out like it's a regular season game - loved it

Young - I did notice he gained some weight...still kind of skinny. I believe he could use another 10 lbs. Sloppy pass, bad shots, bad plays and some wild drives. I like that he is driving, but he should learn when to dish, when to drive. I think he'll pick it up though. Still a very young player, and I'm willing to spend a year or two on him. I hope he improves more tonight

Mickey - the dude is only 6'8? Played some nice D, got a couple of block shots, some nice offense (surprised).

« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2015, 10:02:21 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I'm surprised at how hard people are going after Young... I mean, if an off shooting night means a 4-11 FG night, and if a bad passing night means 1 AST and 1 TO in 30 minutes of play, I'll take it.

Yes, he didn't have a good game, but not to the extent being presented in the OP.

« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2015, 10:05:01 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Smart played solid and could drive!   But he needs to work on his shot more as he missed a ton of FGs and threes.  Oozes leadership. 

Hunter, his shot was not falling and his foot speed is lacking, but he has really good anticipation on defense and his basketball IQ is solid as he made good decisions and some solid passes.   I have a feeling the other guys do not want to pass to him though.

Rozier, lightning quick, could drive and bank shots, showed too much deference to his team mates I thought.  But he can get to the rim.  For being invisible, he had seven points.  I think he needs to believe in his speed and trust himself and play his game.

Mickey, I knew had some offense.   I thought he rose up and blocked a few shots.  I think he needs to get in the weight room though.

Young looked slightly improved on D, his jumper was absent though.  Too may off balance shots taken by him.   He faded, kicked his leg out when he should have just shot the shot.

I thought the small ball killed us, it only works when your hitting shots.   We got owned on the boards.   The refs must have been told to give calls to Exum and the Jazz.   I saw a ton of phantom fouls.

Agreed, didn't like how small we played throughout the whole game.