Author Topic: Preseason Game 1 grades  (Read 16745 times)

Re: Preseason Game 1 grades
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2015, 12:05:08 AM »

Online libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
What happened to the refs down the stretch?

1) Smart's flagrant foul call.  Are you kidding me?
2) Smart called for offensive foul against Exum for bringing the ball above his head.  Should've been an and-one.
3) RJ Hunter after the steal, drives in, clear foul ... nothing called.  Welcome to the NBA rook.

« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2015, 12:06:04 AM »

Offline GzUP617

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 12
As mentioned in game thread, the Celtic almost never actually set a ball screen. Gotta make contact and then use it your advantage...we just never actually set a bal screen.

Smart had to do more ...as others were a bit tentative...especially Rozier. Hunter looked a little nervous, and Mickey looked nice (needs work on boxing out). Fair does some good things with the ball, but is not a great defender.

quick game plan for tomorrow:

1. Set a freaking screen...high pick and roll with rozier more (coach tell him to open it up)
2. Use Mickey in those high P+R more.
3. Up-tempo as much as possible... but take better shots in transition (attack more vs 3 pt)

I think we also need to remind ourselves that Mickey, Hunter and Young are nOT going to be counted on to carry an offense... so its hard to evaluate who might blend well with the creators (Turner, IT, Rozier). 

I still wish we could find a mid range slasher from the SF spot   (Gerald Green?)  Actually Fair looked like he was the most effective at getting to the key for what its worth.

TP,  and you're putting it nicely. Like I mentioned in my bolded part of my post above we need to utilize more screen. Have Rozier run the P.N.R's & play a pace that is uptempo but dependent on good ball movement to find a high percentage shot. No more guys going for there shot right away as soon as they get the ball. Thats what losing basketball looks like.

« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2015, 12:06:44 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
What happened to the refs down the stretch?

1) Smart's flagrant foul call.  Are you kidding me?
2) Smart called for offensive foul against Exum for bringing the ball above his head.  Should've been an and-one.
3) RJ Hunter after the steal, drives in, clear foul ... nothing called.  Welcome to the NBA rook.

I agree with the first 2 but the Hunter drive was out of control - not so sure he just wasn't swallowed up.

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2015, 12:06:49 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Ainge

F   Minus .....failure to draft properly

Draft no center ...for an already TOO short team

It's a shame---but Brad Stevens deserves a Better GM....at least one who knows how to evaluate the players in the draft---Ainge has Blown way more picks than he has hit on.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2015, 12:08:44 AM »

Offline YeezusChrist

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
Smart played well. Confident, aggressive, ran the show. Questionable shot selection and decision making at times but on another level from the rest of the team.

Impressed with Mickey's overall game, if he keeps it up he'll be part of the rotation. Wish he'd box out more though, get in position for those boards.

Rozier played within himself and showed flashes. Fast and tenacious, looking forward to seeing more.

Hunter didn't stand out much but improved over the course of the game, got his hands in some passing lanes.

Young has a ways to go but didn't look quite as lost as he did last season. Not exactly the breakout game he was hoping for I'm sure.

Grade = It's summer league. Good to see Celtics basketball again!

Mickey was playing center tonight. He might of been able to play center in college but in the NBA, he is strictly a 4 that can guard some 3's.     And CJ Fair who is like 6'7 was the pf. 

If Iverson played tonight,  things would been easier

btw with Fair coming onboard and Iverson MIA, i'm guessing he said F you to the Celts org and is playing for another SL team or is going back to Europe.

That's a poor excuse though. Mickey was NOT going up against centers he was going up against power forwards, lover level ones at that.

The Jazz "big" men were:

Cooley 6-9
Motum 6-10
Jerrett 6-10
JaJuan Johnson 6-10

Very true these guys are not NBA caliber players, so Mickey will need to bulk up and work on boxing out.

I think we might be in a lot of trouble this year with our rebounding because we only have 3 players who are atleast above average in rebounding (Sully, Johnson, and Smart)  :(

« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2015, 12:56:31 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Smart is still taking too many jumpers. Needs to get that chucking out of his system. Keep going to the basket. I like Rozier's quickness, in the open court he can fly.

I gotta say tho, I'm not seeing it with James Young. Just doesn't seem to have a feel for the game. I was dissappointed in what I saw out of him.

« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2015, 01:02:26 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Ainge

F   Minus .....failure to draft properly

Draft no center ...for an already TOO short team

It's a shame---but Brad Stevens deserves a Better GM....at least one who knows how to evaluate the players in the draft---Ainge has Blown way more picks than he has hit on.

I've conceded to this especially when it's apparent we have no sf and left two... Dekker and rhj on the boards only to draft our 4th point guard on the team.  I like rozier but he's not gonna add much more than what IT does already

« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2015, 01:02:31 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
  Smart played a very ugly game,  he didn't approach the game to win it.  His game was entirely forced and killed the overall ball movement. I'd of liked to see Rozier play the point without Smart on the floor.

Celtics will need to play more as a team and continue to pass the ball for the open shot.  Everything was pretty much bad, bad shot selection, bad passing, bad screen setting or lack thereof, bad spacing, bad communication on both offense and defense.  Looked like a team of players that never met each other before.

Let me put it this way. I can't even properly judge any of these guys playing this bad as a team. Giving players props for effort is not how I do things. Smart was just plain bad with his approach, has a terrible feel for the game.

I'd give this game overall a grade = F.

I don't know why, but this post made me think of this picture...

LOL that gif might just describe his fans that seem to be Smart apologist.

6-20 in FG, 2-10 in 3PM-A  and we wan't to call this guy a point guard.  I don't even see the guy as a #3 option on a winning team.

Conveniently forgets to post 26 pts, 8 asts (but he's not a point guard!  :o), 5 rebs, 2 stls, 1 blk......

« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2015, 01:25:00 AM »

Offline Bostoncelticsforlife7

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
Those broadcasters were so annoying they only cared about the Jazz players. They were so biased they didn't care when Smart got the insane block at the end of the forth quarter or when Jordan Mickey rejected Jack Cooley when he tried to dunk on him. I like the Orlando Magic Summer League way more.
Warning: I am a Marucs Smart homer

« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2015, 01:34:08 AM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
Those broadcasters were so annoying they only cared about the Jazz players. They were so biased they didn't care when Smart got the insane block at the end of the forth quarter or when Jordan Mickey rejected Jack Cooley when he tried to dunk on him. I like the Orlando Magic Summer League way more.
Yep. At least those Orlando announcers have efforts knowing players ffrom both teams

« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2015, 01:36:23 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I thought Mickey played well....blocked a bunch of shots, some of which were called fouls.
Rozier looked like he has talent, but was not on the same page as Smart.
I think Young is a bust. He hasn't shown me anything since he has been here.

« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2015, 02:49:46 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Rozier and Young were drafted at around the same spot based on upside and they look pretty similar that way.  Going to take a bit.

I don't know about that...

This was young's first game back after a full year in the NBA, and Rozier's first game on an NBA court.  I still felt Rozier looked more comfortable, skilled and polished than Young.

Young looks really raw out there...the the Fab Melo of guards.

« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2015, 02:56:24 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Rozier and Young were drafted at around the same spot based on upside and they look pretty similar that way.  Going to take a bit.

I don't know about that...

This was young's first game back after a full year in the NBA, and Rozier's first game on an NBA court.  I still felt Rozier looked more comfortable, skilled and polished than Young.

Young looks really raw out there...the the Fab Melo of guards.
Young might turn into something someday, but if he doesn't, he doesn't.  When you're picking that late, you have to expect that most of the time you're going to get a scrub.  Same with this rozier kid.  Picks that late are such a crap shoot.  My expectations couldn't be lower.  For the most part I look at him as trade fodder.  If you pick someone mid-to-late 1st round and they end up a viable NBA starter, it should be considered a pleasant surprise.    You hope for a star with Top 5.  You hope for a starter with Top 10.  Picks in the 15-20 range should come with very low expectations.  That's why the Rozier pick + 5 more draft picks wasn't enough to trade into the Top 10 this year.  Everyone understands how rarely players picked in that range actually pan out. 

« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2015, 02:57:24 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Young is our best scorer.  Much more efficient.

:o

Young
12 points
11 FGA
1.09 PTS Per FGA

Smart
26 Points
20 FGA
1.3 PTS Per FGA

I am confused as to how Young was a more efficient scorer tonight?  ???  ???

« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2015, 03:34:23 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
  Smart played a very ugly game,  he didn't approach the game to win it.  His game was entirely forced and killed the overall ball movement. I'd of liked to see Rozier play the point without Smart on the floor.

Celtics will need to play more as a team and continue to pass the ball for the open shot.  Everything was pretty much bad, bad shot selection, bad passing, bad screen setting or lack thereof, bad spacing, bad communication on both offense and defense.  Looked like a team of players that never met each other before.

Let me put it this way. I can't even properly judge any of these guys playing this bad as a team. Giving players props for effort is not how I do things. Smart was just plain bad with his approach, has a terrible feel for the game.

I'd give this game overall a grade = F.

Jeez man, not high on Smart huh?

Summer league is not the time to be "playing like a team". It's a time when the sophomores try to incorporate the things they've been working on into live game action, the rookies try to establish themselves and the other 60% of guys are just trying to cling to the end of someone's roster. They run relatively simple sets, no one is expected to have any kind of communication because for the most part it IS a team of guys who've hardly met before. You don't always "play to win" in summer league.

Smart is your best young prospect. It's well established that he's an absolute stud on D, but you have high hopes for his offensive game. He's been working all off-season on driving to the hoop and hitting the jump shot. He has the skills to be good at both. This is the perfect time to hand him the reigns and let him work in those improvements. He was driving to the hoop with a purpose, which we didn't see much last year. Generating FT attempts is going to be what takes Smart from a good to great player. If he can get 8-10 ppg on FT's, he could easily become a 18-20/7/6 guy with all-world D. I'd rather him hog the ball and work on that than give Holmes more touches.