Author Topic: Did the Lakers blow by us while we were watching fireworks?  (Read 13804 times)

Re: Did the Lakers blow by us while we were watching fireworks?
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2015, 08:51:58 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I did not see the point of Lakers signing all these new players. These players together won't come close to being an actual contender so why bother?
they owe their pick to Philly so being bad doesn't help them at all where being mediocre probably makes them a bit more attractive for free agents and will get their young guys a bit more actual experience.

If they tank enough to get a top 3 pick again, then they get to keep it.  Going into next offseason with Julius Randle, DeAngelo Russell, Nick Young, another top 3 pick, and $65-70 million of cap room would have been my goal if I were LA.  Yes, the lottery has to fall your way, but you can help make your own luck.  It's a rough send-off to Kobe, but that's life.

Missing the playoffs and not getting a 1st seems like the worst way to go.
no way Kobe doesn't make waves if LA packed it in at the end of his career.  like it or not, he's the face of the Lakers.  They don't have the cajones to deal Kobe like Danny dealt PP -- that's even if they could find a taker for a broken down player closer to 40 than 30 on one of the most egregious contracts in the league that runs another year after this one.

LA doesn't really have much choice but to try to make the playoffs.  the likelihood that Kobe either sat out another year or agrees to play and stink for losses to get a top 3 pick just wasn't going to happen.   They're better off taking a shot at being decent and if things go better than expected, hoping that lures a good FA next year.

« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2015, 09:03:51 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Teams rarely tank in LA's situation because teams cannot guarantee themselves a top 3 pick.

Even if they finish with the worst record, there is still a 36% chance that they miss out on all the top 3 pick. With the 2nd worst record, a 44% chance of missing out the top 3. With the 3rd worst record, a 53% chance of missing top 3. By 4th worst record, they have a 62% chance of missing out on the top 3.

I mean, anywhere from 3rd worst or better and the odds are more than 50-50 against you getting that top 3 pick. Even with the worst or 2nd worst record, you have a 36-44% chance of losing that pick.

It's awful to have those 17-25 win type seasons. Terrible for everyone involved in the team. It's even worse to go through a season like and still lose your lottery pick. It's not a strategy that you see teams pursue (from game one) because the odds are so unfriendly.

« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2015, 09:12:31 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Teams rarely tank in LA's situation because teams cannot guarantee themselves a top 3 pick.

Even if they finish with the worst record, there is still a 36% chance that they miss out on all the top 3 pick. With the 2nd worst record, a 44% chance of missing out the top 3. With the 3rd worst record, a 53% chance of missing top 3. By 4th worst record, they have a 62% chance of missing out on the top 3.

I mean, anywhere from 3rd worst or better and the odds are more than 50-50 against you getting that top 3 pick. Even with the worst or 2nd worst record, you have a 36-44% chance of losing that pick.

It's awful to have those 17-25 win type seasons. Terrible for everyone involved in the team. It's even worse to go through a season like and still lose your lottery pick. It's not a strategy that you see teams pursue (from game one) because the odds are so unfriendly.
Yep.  I mean the Knicks fell from 2nd to 4th and LA moved from 4th to 2nd just this past season.  Plus, with Russell, Randle, and Kobe all joining the team (in addition to Young), I can't see them being that bad again without more injuries.  Sure that isn't a great team, but those 4 are probably worth 25-30 wins, which takes them out of that super bad range.  Thus is just made sense to add more talent and see if you can somehow back door into the playoffs or at least show growth.  Hibbert, Bass, and Williams are a nice solid group of veteran players that probably get LA to the 35 win range.  If everything goes their way and the young guys develop and Kobe actually isn't terrible, you could see them hitting 40-45 wins, which may just get them into the playoffs. 

That is the right move in what looks like Kobe's last season.  Plus, it isn't like they broke the bank and they will still have plenty of room next summer, especially after Kobe comes off the books.  The more wins they have and the better the young guys play, the better it is for them next summer.  Personally I hope they flame out and suck horribly and then finish in 4th so they lose the pick to Philly.  That would be awesome because I hate the Lakers (even if it means the Sixers get another top 5 pick).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2015, 09:14:28 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Different plans.
Lakers & Knicks choose the free agency to get better each year because they believe with their big market they can attract anyone. It didn't work well this season because they were too bad but I'm sure next year it will start to be better for them.
As for Boston, Ainge believe that the hunt for a star via trade is the right plan.
Considering that FA won't come in Boston unless you are already contending, I think this is our best plan. So Ainge is collecting assets, hoping that when a Harden, Cousins, Durant... is available via trade he will have the right assets to deal with. Meanwhile, Ainge is hoping one of our young is a gem. With all these picks from last 2 seasons and the next one, probability will tell you there is a good chance we'll have a diamond in the raw.
We are already in mediocrity, no point to go deeper into mediocrity and sacrifice flexibility right now.
Different stories, can't compare.

« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2015, 09:19:56 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
In a quick weekend, I think the Lakers just became a better team than us!  Hibbert, LWilliams, and BBass! Wow!  To go with DRussell and Randle(who is basically a rookie), and Clarkson, Boozer,  and of course Kobe! Arguably better, or even at every position! 
For all the hope we had for big additions to our team---sad!   :'(

1. Kobe is done. Sorry guys
2. When was the last time Boozer helped his team? at least one that was a playoff hopeful.
3. Hibbert, Williams, and Bass won't put you over the top.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2015, 09:22:53 AM »

Offline djbilly33

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 11
I think the Lakers did go by us, not blow but did pass us. They have a much better future then us. 2 years in a row with a top 6 pick. Got size with Hibbert, please don't tell me he is washed up. Kolbe will be gone soon, which will be good for them. Russell will be better than Smart or Rozier. AB sucks (deer in headlights) Randle will be better than Sully or Kelly or both at the same time. Hibbert is better than any center we have. Bass is equal to Johnson. PLus they have more cap space next season then us and LA is a destination over Boston.

« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2015, 10:21:17 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
I think the Lakers did go by us, not blow but did pass us. They have a much better future then us. 2 years in a row with a top 6 pick. Got size with Hibbert, please don't tell me he is washed up. Kolbe will be gone soon, which will be good for them. Russell will be better than Smart or Rozier. AB sucks (deer in headlights) Randle will be better than Sully or Kelly or both at the same time. Hibbert is better than any center we have. Bass is equal to Johnson. PLus they have more cap space next season then us and LA is a destination over Boston.

And they have palm trees, we don't! (facepalm)

« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2015, 10:47:12 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
Since all those guys don't bother to read or understand what's going on with the Celtics rebuild, I'm gonna change the way I answer to people like you.

I think the Lakers did go by us, not blow but did pass us I think you overestimate the Celtics team. They have a much better future then us Sure. 2 years in a row with a top 6 pick 2 allstar 100% garanty. Got size with Hibbert obviously, please don't tell me he is washed up Not only I won't tell you that, but I might say he's a double double machine and nobody got through him. Kolbe will be gone soon is it?, which will be good for them saving 25mil?. Russell will be better than Smart or Rozier duh, it has been known that Smart is below average starter caliber and Rozier probably won't make it to the nba. AB sucks so many people said that, it must be a fact by now (deer in headlights) Randle will be better than Sully or Kelly or both at the same time Randle has KG floor imo and he can be better than KO climbing up on Sully, true. Hibbert is better than any center we have you [dang] right. Bass is equal to Johnson Bass becomes a star now he's in LA. PLus they have more cap space next season then us and LA is a destination over Boston. LA will have 45mil cap space next season and boston 50mil, but ya I agree 45mil in LA is way more than 50 in Boston.

Phewww, that was stupid, but I feel better now  ;D

« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2015, 11:04:37 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
they didn't "blow by us", but they do seem to be in a better place, and the only reason for that is the addition of Russell. Randle has yet to play a game but I think he'll be a solid pro who will need time to grow into his own (kinda like Smart). I don't really care much for the other players on either squad (Hibbert, Amir, Bass, blahhh...).

What makes it close is that we have future flexibility and we have a bunch of picks. How valuable those picks are remains to be seen. But I guess the purpose of those picks is to be able to land a guy like Russell anyway, which is why I give the edge to LA right now.

- LilRip

« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2015, 12:28:56 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
The team can not form it's own young new identity .....until you know who Leaves . ::)

Kobe is really screwing up the Lakers rebuild when you get right down to it ......in so many ways ....not unlike Rondo hindered the Celtics forming up their own identity

Lakers don't have a contender coaching staff.......it's a rebuilding , tanker led ,  do what Kobe says coaching deal. 

You ll know when the lakers are serious .....they ll dumb the chump coach and go after a top 10 coach .

« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2015, 12:40:20 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Kobe is really screwing up the Lakers rebuild when you get right down to it ......in so many ways ....not unlike Rondo hindered the Celtics forming up their own identity

Maybe he is enabling the Lakers rebuild by making a tank job not seems like a tank job.  Maybe the pro-tankers here should have been clamoring for Rondo to not be traded and to be given a new contract.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2015, 12:49:27 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
1. Kobe is done. Sorry guys
2. When was the last time Boozer helped his team? at least one that was a playoff hopeful.
3. Hibbert, Williams, and Bass won't put you over the top.

4. Kobe is a horrible team mate who thinks he is the player he was ten years ago.

« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2015, 01:08:34 PM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27
Kobe's albatross contract will keep them middling in mediocrity and they won't be able to make the playoffs in the West with that average roster.

« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2015, 01:35:53 PM »

Offline Al91

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
The Lakers organization and fans are a constant source of humor in my eyes.

At first I was disappointed with the Celtics off-season thus far. Then I realized...we're barely a month away from the Finals, there's still time for plenty of different moves similar to what we saw last summer with the Celtics "helping out" other teams making moves.

I also considered what the Lakers have done in comparison to us. The Lakers didn't sign "stars", don't get me wrong, but I'd much rather continue "collecting assets" than being in the mess they are. They're drafting guys who need to develop, they're paying an all star $20+mil, and trading for/signing guys like Hibbert, Lou Williams, and Bass.

They're still behind in their rebuild yet they're acting like they're three years down the road of a successful rebuild. What are they competing for? In no sane Western Conference will the Lakers sniff the playoffs. It's absurd to assume so IMO.
Long-form is far from dead, but please refrain from paragraph-laden posts! Who wants to read that?!

« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2015, 01:46:52 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
Lakers still live in their world where it was enough to have a shaq' and win multiple titles.
There is no shaq' anymore and you need to build a team. Talent is not enough, welcome to the modern nba lakers.