Author Topic: S&T idea + Why Ainge is waiting until after July 9th to make more moves  (Read 4346 times)

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
Everyone has been speculating what the Celtics are going to do next. It's likely we do nothing until the July 9th Moratorium is over. That is when signing our players becomes official. The order in which we re-sign our players is key...

Attached is a photo of an article via Basketball Insiders that explains the Celtics cap situation. Some people have been saying that we've lost our TPEs by going under the cap. However, according to this article we can do a S&T w/ the Raptors (using 12M of the Rondo TPE). If we stretch Wallace, waive Pressey & Babb, we'll have around 13M in cap space.

Ainge would be wise to shop Bradley, Turner, & Olynyk to make room for our new guys!

I would love for Ainge to S&T Evan Turner for Kevin Seraphin

2015/16 Depth Chart: (Not taking into consideration who or what we'd get back from trading Bradley & KO)

Thomas/Rozier
Smart/Hunter
Crowder/Young/Mickey
Johnson/Sully
Seraphin/Zeller

With 13M in cap space, Ainge could sign another free agent or two before the season starts, OR keep the cap space and hope an all-star caliber player becomes available before or at the trade deadline. 

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Where are you getting the $13 million in cap space from?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Ugh--I don't see that at all.

I believe in KO and think Jerebko gets more playing time than people realize (off the bench). No need to just dump AB.

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Everyone has been speculating what the Celtics are going to do next. It's likely we do nothing until the July 9th Moratorium is over. That is when signing our players becomes official. The order in which we re-sign our players is key...

Attached is a photo of an article via Basketball Insiders that explains the Celtics cap situation. Some people have been saying that we've lost our TPEs by going under the cap. However, according to this article we can do a S&T w/ the Raptors (using 12M of the Rondo TPE). If we stretch Wallace, waive Pressey & Babb, we'll have around 13M in cap space.

Ainge would be wise to shop Bradley, Turner, & Olynyk to make room for our new guys!

2015/16 Depth Chart: (Not taking into consideration who or what we'd get back from trading Bradley & KO)

Thomas/Rozier
Smart/Hunter
Crowder/Young/Mickey
Johnson/Sully
Seraphin/Zeller

With 13M in cap space, Ainge could sign another free agent or two before the season starts, OR keep the cap space and hope an all-star caliber player becomes available before or at the trade deadline.
The problem is that you can only do a sign and trade if a player is signed for 3 years. Johnson is signed for 2 years so we can't use our TPE on him. The C's are going to need to renounce all their pending free agents to get Johnson. Unless Johnson's deal changes from when it was initially reported
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Who is left to sign with that cap space anyway? JaVale McGee is still available right? I'd probably much rather have AB then whoever is left on the market, no?

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21

Thomas/Rozier
Smart/Hunter
Crowder/Young/Mickey
Johnson/Sully
Seraphin/Zeller

The problem is that you can only do a sign and trade if a player is signed for 3 years. Johnson is signed for 2 years so we can't use our TPE on him. The C's are going to need to renounce all their pending free agents to get Johnson. Unless Johnson's deal changes from when it was initially reported

THIS! TP! That's what I thought originally. Unless Johnson's deal can be restructured to 3 years, 36M w/ a team option after year two, and a player opt in yr 3? Would that be within the rules?

Bottom line: I'm tired of waiting and July 9th& after can't come quick enough

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Who is left to sign with that cap space anyway? JaVale McGee is still available right? I'd probably much rather have AB then whoever is left on the market, no?

Nope, Doc scooped him up to fill DeAndre's void in LA. 

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Thomas/Rozier
Smart/Hunter
Crowder/Young/Mickey
Johnson/Sully
Seraphin/Zeller

THIS! TP! That's what I thought originally. Unless Johnson's deal can be restructured to 3 years, 36M w/ a team option after year two, and a player opt in yr 3? Would that be within the rules?

A S&T contract has to be three years not including option years, although only the first has to be guaranteed.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Thomas/Rozier
Smart/Hunter
Crowder/Young/Mickey
Johnson/Sully
Seraphin/Zeller

A S&T contract has to be three years not including option years, although only the first has to be guaranteed.

So, could Amir's new contract be 3 years, $36 mil, with the last two years on team options, instead of 2/$24 mil with second year TO?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Thomas/Rozier
Smart/Hunter
Crowder/Young/Mickey
Johnson/Sully
Seraphin/Zeller

So, could Amir's new contract be 3 years, $36 mil, with the last two years on team options, instead of 2/$24 mil with second year TO?

Yes, if Amir Johnson and his agent are okay with that.

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Okay, the confusion here is that a team option is not quite the same as a 'non-guaranteed' contract.  They have the same net effect in most cases, but in this case it is an important technical distinctions. 

As LooseCannon stated, for an S&T, the contract must be at least 3 years, none of which can be option years, but only the first year must be guaranteed.

The rumored deal with Amir right now is 2 years, 24M, of which only the first year is guaranteed and the second is non-guaranteed.  Neither year is an option year.

In order for it to be eligible to be executed as a sign & trade from Toronto, the deal would have to add a 3rd year.   That year would also be non-guaranteed.

It is hard to imagine that Danny would NOT prefer to execute the deal as a sign & trade this way, making good use of the Rondo TPE and enabling the preservation of the Prince TPE, his various smaller TPEs and his Bird Rights on Bass, which potentially could become a small TPE if sign & traded with LAL.

However, we will just have to wait and see if that's how Danny plays it out.

It is possible that he would not have stated the deal initially this way, holding out hope that the Harris deal would work out.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Seraphim is one of those guys who always kills us when he plays us.  I would not mind him but not sure if he fits the CBS spread the floor big guy scheme.   I like him, he is active and would upgrade our front line even more.  I however, though he was a free agent right now.

Offline P stoff

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
Ha...just about every big guy killed the Celtics over the last few years.

Anyway...the issue to me is that we signed JJ AND Amir for some reason.  Now we have 5 C/PFs that want minutes (with KO being the only guy that would accept it without grief)... not to mention Iverson and Mickey.

Any trade (IMO) almost has to be a 2 or 3 for 1 trade (with maybe a pick added).  The problem is that there isnt anybody out there (available) good enough to send AB, Sully, and another big to without really giving up too much.  If you could get D-Mo from Houston for that it would solve the guard, C and PF issue in one move. however is thee any guy like that available?

I just cant figure out why DA signed both JJ / AJ without a plan to move a couple guys.  Guess we will see.

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Okay, the confusion here is that a team option is not quite the same as a 'non-guaranteed' contract.  They have the same net effect in most cases, but in this case it is an important technical distinctions. 

As LooseCannon stated, for an S&T, the contract must be at least 3 years, none of which can be option years, but only the first year must be guaranteed.

The rumored deal with Amir right now is 2 years, 24M, of which only the first year is guaranteed and the second is non-guaranteed.  Neither year is an option year.

In order for it to be eligible to be executed as a sign & trade from Toronto, the deal would have to add a 3rd year.   That year would also be non-guaranteed.

It is hard to imagine that Danny would NOT prefer to execute the deal as a sign & trade this way, making good use of the Rondo TPE and enabling the preservation of the Prince TPE, his various smaller TPEs and his Bird Rights on Bass, which potentially could become a small TPE if sign & traded with LAL.

However, we will just have to wait and see if that's how Danny plays it out.

It is possible that he would not have stated the deal initially this way, holding out hope that the Harris deal would work out.

My bad, I conflated the two types of contracts.

If indeed the second and third years of a contract could be fully nonguaranteed, then it seems a no-brainer for Ainge to use the Rondo TPE for this. And I hope he does have that option.

It would also help to explain Ainge's strategy during FA, as he wouldn't have to have made a single move using cap space (which would only be created by renouncing player rights and the TPEs).
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Sounds like the plan is already foiled hehe.

Anyway AB is one of the few players that help space the floor so if we ever move him it has to be for an upgrade. As for KO he needs to prove himself more before someone else wants him.