Author Topic: Another non-update update on Embiid  (Read 27193 times)

Re: Another non-update update on Embiid
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2015, 12:33:59 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Since everyone loves to talk about this guy, I figured we can give the latest update. He is doing some practicing, has a positive attitude but is still limited and the organization hasn't decided what their next step is yet

http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-philadelphia-76ers/joel-embiid-present-sixers-minicamp-practice-but-limited

This whole thing is getting pretty bizarre at this point. It seems like it would be useful for the 76ers to make a decision pretty soon. If he needs another surgery, then they should probably do that as soon as possible instead of waiting for two months to do it. It is not like this is a situation where they are waiting for swelling to go down to operate. They did the scan about a month ago, how long does it take this many doctors to make a decision on it?
My perception of it hasn't changed.  He feels 100%.   Scans show he's not 100%... So they are having him ease back activities and give it more time to heal so not to risk reinjury.  He's also apparently grown to 7'2 since last year so maybe that has something to do with the "different" ct scan.  I think if surgery was going to happen it would happen already.  My guess is they are going to keep him out of summer league and let him get ready for the regular season 4 months from now.

I would have bet my car you would have typed this exact message.

He has a few go to sayings, which he often rotates depending on the situation

* Noel is a future star (yet has the offense of a Cauley-Stein...more on that below)

* Cauley-Stein is the next Biyombo (even though his game is exactly like Noel's)

* Sixers have 3 of the 6 best young big man prospects (using the word "prospects" is his way of saying they haven't done anything and filtering out Davis, Cousins, Drummond, etc. from the argument)

* Smart is a defensive role player (yet Noel is not)

* Celtics players are garbage and their picks worthless

LarBrd33 is right on this particular issue. I would honestly be surprised to see Embiid not suited up for the first game of next season. If he's healthy, I would bet my car he matures into a perennial All-Star.

I'm not denying that. However, the word IF is the most important thing in that statement. Had Walton not had foot injuries some think he would've been right up there with the best bigs of all-time (Russell, Kareem, Wilt, etc.). Oden and Bowie are others that had their careers cut short. If's are always part of the equation especially with a big like Embiid that just can't stay healthy.

2012-13...His HS coach said Embiid dealt with various injuries
2013-14...Suffers two stress fractures (Back and Foot)
2014-15...Misses season due to foot stress fracture
Summer 2015...Not healing as expected. Will miss summer league. Rumored to possibly need another surgery on foot.

His injury history isn't as easily dismissed as LarBrd33 likes to pretend it is. Especially when it comes to a big man. Especially when it's a player that hasn't even been playing basketball much (taking it up at a latter age). If he can't stay healthy from shortened HS and college seasons against boys and teens, how is he going to handle the long grueling seasons of NBA basketball against men?
Meh

Lets put it this way - at some point in last year's draft, I seem to recall Danny saying that he considered going after Embiid (can't remember if the idea was to trade up, of if this was before the lottery and before Danny knew what spot Boston would have) but when the Boston's doctors saw his medical history they red flagged him.

Sully had very real back concerns, which Boston knew would eventually need surgery, and yet their doctors never red flagged him because the believed there was a good chance that surgery would fix it, and that it wouldn't result in a long term issue.

If this is all true, then what does that tell you about how bad Embiid's medical history was?  Considering how desperately Boston needed a big and how much everybody raved about Embiid's potential, for Boston to still decide they'd pass on him...that's got to be concerning.

I mean if the guy had at least played one full season, or even 2 months of a season, and actually had given you some indication of what he can do on an NBA court...then maybe you take that gamble.  But right now you don't even know if Embiid could be as good as people say even if he WAS healthy because (as with any rookie) there is nothing concrete to go off.  Combine that risk with the medical risk and that's a LOT of risk.

As a GM I'd hapily pass on an opportunity to acquire him...and if I was proven wrong and he did become a healthy star, then I'd be confident in hindsight knowing that the decision I made was the right one at the time,

« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2015, 01:20:58 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Quote from: celticsclay link=topic=79597.msg192174navicular bone9#msg1921749 date=1436207904
Since everyone loves to talk about this guy, I figured we can give the latest update. He is doing some practicing, has a positive attitude but is still limited and the organization hasn't decided what their next step is yet

http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-philadelphia-76ers/joel-embiid-present-sixers-minicamp-practice-but-limited

This whole thing is getting pretty bizarre at this point. It seems like it would be useful for the 76ers to make a decision pretty soon. If he needs another surgery, then they should probably do that as soon as possible instead of waiting for two months to do it. It is not like this is a situation where they are waiting for swelling to go down to operate. They did the scan about a month ago, how long does it take this many doctors to make a decision on it?
My perception of it hasn't changed.  He feels 100%.   Scans show he's not 100%... So they are having him ease back activities and give it more time to heal so not to risk reinjury.  He's also apparently grown to 7'2 since last year so maybe that has something to do with the "different" ct scan.  I think if surgery was going to happen it would happen already.  My guess is they are going to keep him out of summer league and let him get ready for the regular season 4 months from now.

* Noel is a future star (yet has the offense of a Cauley-Stein...more on that below)

* Cauley-Stein is the next Biyombo (even though his game is exactly like Noel's)

* Sixers have 3 of the 6 best young big man prospects (using the word "prospects" is his way of saying they haven't done anything and filtering out Davis, Cousins, Drummond, etc. from the argument)

LarBrd33 is right on this particular issue. I would honestly be surprised to see Embiid not suited up for the first game of next season. If he's healthy, I would bet my car he matures into a perennial All-Star.

I'm not denying that. However, the word IF is the most important thing in that statement. Had Walton not had foot injuries some think he would've been right up there with the best bigs of all-time (Russell, Kareem, Wilt, etc.). Oden and Bowie are others that had their careers cut short. If's are always part of the equation especially with a big like Embiid that just can't stay healthy.

Summer 2015...Not healing as expected. Will miss summer league. Rumored to possibly need another surgery on foot.

His injury history isn't as easily dismissed as LarBrd33 likes to pretend it is. Especially when it comes to a big man. Especially when it's a player that hasn't even been playing basketball much (taking it up at a latter age). If he can't stay healthy from shortened HS and college seasons against boys and teens, how is he going to handle the long grueling seasons of NBA basketball against men?
Meh

Lets put it this way - at some point in last year's draft, I seem to recall Danny saying that he considered going after Embiid (can't remember if the idea was to trade up, of if this was before the lottery and before Danny knew what spot Boston would have) but when the Boston's doctors saw his medical history they red flagged him.

Yes I know it must be fun fabricating details in order to "win" arguments about Embiid's health, but for now I think it's best to just stick to facts.
The day after the draft, Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge said in a radio interview that the team would, in fact, have taken Embiid had he been on the board when their pick came up. "Yes, we would have," Ainge said on The Sports Hub's "Toucher & Rich," via MassLive. "He was not red-flagged, meaning 'Stay away at all costs.' He was rated a little bit less than (he would have been) with (his injury) risk, but he was a guy that we were looking at, had he fallen."

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2014/06/danny-ainge-celtics-would-have-drafted-joel-embiid-at-no-6/
I'm getting bored with this. 

If news comes out that Embiid is going to have another surgery, feel free to dance on Embiid's grave and create threads gloating about how wrong I am.  Until then, he's innocent until proven guilty.   On a scale of 1-10 of how concerned I am about Embiid's foot... I'm at a 1.5  ... and that's only because of the media hysteria.  All the facts coming out aren't that exciting.   Right now, all we know is that Embiid feels 100%, but the team is having him rest, because the CT scan doesn't show it 100% yet.   Beyond that, it's speculation.  My own opinion is speculation as well.. but it's based on what Philly's CEO, Hinkie, Bill Self and multiple "first-hand accounts" (from admittedly weak sources).  And all of them seem to say that Embiid was playing basketball, looked amazing, and wants to be out there right now... but they are holding him out as a precaution and getting more opinions on what to do next. My perception of this situation is also based on what I've read about the navicular bone stress fractures in articles about Embiid and from medical professionals who have given their own speculation.   Despite what eja said in the previous page, 4-6 months was always given as an optimistic estimate.  From day 1, they said it could take up to a full year for it to fully heal for some athletes (by the way, eja and Eddie are fully aware of this).  Had 4-6 months been definitive, we wouldn't have known from day 1 that Embiid was being kept out a full season (since 6 months would have been sometime in December... plenty of time for Embiid to play out the final 4 months of the season... and yet that was NEVER an option).  It's been a full year as of a couple weeks ago.  It's not fully healed.  What does that mean?  My interpretation of that is simple:  According to multiple medical sources, that injury usually feels fully healed before it actually is fully healed.  And that could mean that some tissue around the bone that isn't filled in yet... which could mean it's not as stable as they want and there's a fear of reinjury.  I said "could mean", because I have no freakin idea what's actually going on with Embiid... and neither do any of the other people commenting on this thread.   Nothing has been made public.  We're all speculating.   But it seems that most people here are speculating that Embiid's career is over... which just seems silly to me.  Whereas my speculation is based on facts... others are basing their speculation on Greg Oden and media reports that he "could miss another season" and "could have another surgery".   I'm sure they haven't ruled out anything right now.   But from what I'm reading, the only reason they'd have surgery is if they were convinced that put Embiid in a better position long-term and if "surgery" resulted in less risk of re-injury.   That seems doubtful to me.  I find it hard to believe that they'd say, "Joel, I know you're feeling ready to play basketball... but after speaking with doctors we've decided the best way to avoid re-injury is to surgically break your navicular bone again"... that seems illogical to me.   

There could be more to this than we know... but to speculate on that would be to latching onto a conspiracy theory.   From what we DO know, it appears the team will at some point need to make a decision about what percentage is "healed enough" to green light Embiid.  Obviously they have decided to keep him out of summer league.  Will they keep him out of the regular season?  I doubt it very much.   

Anyways... these threads are getting monotonous.   Let's see if Embiid plays.  Unless some new info comes out, this is just a bunch of rehashed nonsense.  Yes, I'm aware that Greg Oden's career was destroyed by injures.  Yes I'm aware that Blake Griffin's career wasn't destroyed by injures.    Neat.  Now that we got that history lesson out of the way, let's wait and see what happens with Embiid before we prematurely jump to conclusions.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 01:32:40 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2015, 02:35:01 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Quote from: celticsclay link=topic=79597.msg192174navicular bone9#msg1921749 date=1436207904

Meh

Yes I know it must be fun fabricating details in order to "win" arguments about Embiid's health, but for now I think it's best to just stick to facts.
The day after the draft, Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge said in a radio interview that the team would, in fact, have taken Embiid had he been on the board when their pick came up. "Yes, we would have," Ainge said on The Sports Hub's "Toucher & Rich," via MassLive. "He was not red-flagged, meaning 'Stay away at all costs.' He was rated a little bit less than (he would have been) with (his injury) risk, but he was a guy that we were looking at, had he fallen."

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2014/06/danny-ainge-celtics-would-have-drafted-joel-embiid-at-no-6/

If news comes out that Embiid is going to have another surgery, feel free to dance on Embiid's grave and create threads gloating about how wrong I am.  Until then, he's innocent until proven guilty.   On a scale of 1-10 of how concerned I am about Embiid's foot... I'm at a 1.5  ... and that's only because of the media hysteria.  All the facts coming out aren't that exciting.   Right now, all we know is that Embiid feels 100%, but the team is having him rest, because the CT scan doesn't show it 100% yet.   Beyond that, it's speculation.  My own opinion is speculation as well.. but it's based on what Philly's CEO, Hinkie, Bill Self and multiple "first-hand accounts" (from admittedly weak sources).  And all of them seem to say that Embiid was playing basketball, looked amazing, and wants to be out there right now... but they are holding him out as a precaution and getting more opinions on what to do next. My perception of this situation is also based on what I've read about the navicular bone stress fractures in articles about Embiid and from medical professionals who have given their own speculation.   Despite what eja said in the previous page, 4-6 months was always given as an optimistic estimate.  From day 1, they said it could take up to a full year for it to fully heal for some athletes (by the way, eja and Eddie are fully aware of this).  Had 4-6 months been definitive, we wouldn't have known from day 1 that Embiid was being kept out a full season (since 6 months would have been sometime in December... plenty of time for Embiid to play out the final 4 months of the season... and yet that was NEVER an option).  It's been a full year as of a couple weeks ago.  It's not fully healed.  What does that mean?  My interpretation of that is simple:  According to multiple medical sources, that injury usually feels fully healed before it actually is fully healed.  And that could mean that some tissue around the bone that isn't filled in yet... which could mean it's not as stable as they want and there's a fear of reinjury.  I said "could mean", because I have no freakin idea what's actually going on with Embiid... and neither do any of the other people commenting on this thread.   Nothing has been made public.  We're all speculating.   But it seems that most people here are speculating that Embiid's career is over... which just seems silly to me.  Whereas my speculation is based on facts... others are basing their speculation on Greg Oden and media reports that he "could miss another season" and "could have another surgery".   I'm sure they haven't ruled out anything right now.   But from what I'm reading, the only reason they'd have surgery is if they were convinced that put Embiid in a better position long-term and if "surgery" resulted in less risk of re-injury.   That seems doubtful to me.  I find it hard to believe that they'd say, "Joel, I know you're feeling ready to play basketball... but after speaking with doctors we've decided the best way to avoid re-injury is to surgically break your navicular bone again"... that seems illogical to me.   

There could be more to this than we know... but to speculate on that would be to latching onto a conspiracy theory.   From what we DO know, it appears the team will at some point need to make a decision about what percentage is "healed enough" to green light Embiid.  Obviously they have decided to keep him out of summer league.  Will they keep him out of the regular season?  I doubt it very much.   

Anyways... these threads are getting monotonous.   Let's see if Embiid plays.  Unless some new info comes out, this is just a bunch of rehashed nonsense.  Yes, I'm aware that Greg Oden's career was destroyed by injures.  Yes I'm aware that Blake Griffin's career wasn't destroyed by injures.    Neat.  Now that we got that history lesson out of the way, let's wait and see what happens with Embiid before we prematurely jump to conclusions.

Hence why I used the words I seem to recall rather than stating it was a fact.

I thought I remembered him saying they had Embiid red flagged, I must have been incorrect - but again I never said it was a fact, I just said 'I seem to recall' it happening.

Anyway as for you "getting bored with this" - I'm also getting bored with people worshipping Embiid as the NBA's next massiah and talking about him as if he's the greatest center who has ever played when he hasn't even been healthy enough to play one minute of NBA basketball.

We haven't even seen him in a summer league game, or a preseason game - nothing.

Also it doesn't matter whether my 'I seem to recall' comment was accurate or not, because that doesn't change the fact that Embiid appears to have had a significantly worse injury history than the average NBA prospect.  Nor does it change the fact the fact that big guys are the most prone to injury, and the bigger guys are the higher risk they are at.

If Embiid has grown to something like 7'2" and 265 pounds (as some of the claims / images in this thread seem to suggest may be possible) the this combined with his medical history makes him a very high risk.

This still doesn't change the fact that I'm not as big a believer in his skills / upside as others are, but that's another matter altogether. 

As for the "wait and see before jumping to conclusions" argument - how come you see this is a fair argument when talking about Embiid's health, but you don't seem to consider it a fair argument when talking about his ability/potential?

You don't seem to give even the slightest amount of credit to the idea that Embiid (even if healthy) just might not be as good as people think.  Everything you say about the Sixers / Embiid seems to be based on the assumption/premise that Embiid (if he's healthy) is certain to become an All-Star and has the potential to become an all-time great.

Shouldn't we also "wait and see" before we jump to conclusions about that, too?

Not taking a jab, just saying that fair is fair, and his ability to perform in the NBA is no more proven (or unproven) at this stage than his ability to stay healthy is.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 02:45:37 AM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2015, 02:47:51 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Meh

I thought I remembered him saying they had Embiid red flagged, I must have been incorrect - but again I never said it was a fact, I just said 'I seem to recall' it happening.

Anyway as for you "getting bored with this" - I'm also getting bored with people worshipping Embiid as the NBA's next massiah and talking about him as if he's the greatest center who has ever played when he hasn't even been healthy enough to play one minute of NBA basketball.

I get it.  Most of the hate towards him stems from jealousy of Philly's situation.  Embiid is known as one of the best prospects to enter this league in the past decade.  Boston once again was on the outside looking in.  We can't have him, so we might as well root against him.  I get it.  A lot of my fellow Celtic want to believe Embiid will bust.    I don't see it happening, though.   Based on what I've read, I expect he'll play... and I expect he'll be a special player. 

Btw, it's ok to admit it.  I'm very jealous of Philly fans.  I'd swap our entire roster and assets with them in a nanonsecond... even if Embiid never walks again, it's a no brainer trade. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 02:53:03 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2015, 03:28:49 AM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
I'm confused...did we acquire Joel Embiid? B/c there sure are a lot of threads and posts about this dude. (Yes, I get many of us finding what Philly is doing pretty shameless and would enjoy seeing them fail at it, but seriously, why are we devoting this much energy to a guy that's not on our team, and probably won't ever be on our team?)

« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2015, 03:30:14 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
crimson... just to briefly touch on your comment about my reluctance to accept the possibility that Embiid might not be that good.  I've touched on this before.  There's a lack of trust in scouts when they unanimously claim someone is "can't-miss".  I tend to believe they know what they are talking about.  Sure, there are guys with potential that never reach it.  Sure there are guys that surpass expectations.  But when they label someone a "can't miss future star", it tends to actually pan out.  Do not confuse this with someone like Darius Miles who scouts admitted was raw, but had the tools to be a star someday.  I'm talking about guys they flat out said, "this kid is a can't miss star".   There's only a handful of guys I can think of who were labelled that way in the past 15 years. 

Yao Ming
LeBron
Carmelo
Oden
Durant

Those guys were called sure-thing "next big things".  Oden is the only one that didn't pan out and that's because of his injuries.  Say what you will about Yao, but despite the widespread skepticism, he developed into an 8x all-star who averaged 25 points, 10 rebounds and a couple blocks in his prime.  Obviously Bron, Melo and Durant all turned into stars as expected.

Since 2009, Chad Ford has written a "draft tier" column based on info from speaking to teams around the league.  Since then, only a handful of players have been labelled "tier 1" star prospects ("This category is usually reserved for guys who are sure-fire All-Stars or "franchise" players"):  John Wall, Blake Griffin, Anthony Davis, Wiggins, Parker and Embiid.   This year, only Karl-Anthony Towns made it into Tier 1.   That's not to say that there weren't other guys who surpassed expectations.   But those were the only guys that they said, "Barring injury, they will be stars in this league".  They follow these guys closely enough and are right often enough that when scouts unanimously says, "this Duncan kid is going to be a star" or "this shaq kid is going to dominate the league", it's sort of weird to me that fans would automatically doubt it.   It was funny during LeBron's rookie year when people were so desperate to label him "LeBust".  The assumption that scouts don't know what they are talking about seems to be a baseless (personally I think it's a carryover from other leagues with less certainty like baseball or football... in the NBA when scouts unanimously claim someone is going to be a star, it tends to actually happen) .   They didn't just arbitrarily claim that Joel Embiid was the best prospect in the draft last year.  They aren't just pulling this stuff out of their butts.  If he's healthy, which i believe he will be, he's going to be a force in this league for several years.  This is why he was drafted 3rd despite being a year away.  This is why teams like Boston tried to trade up to get him in spite of his injury.  This is why several scouts felt he should have gone 1st in spite of his injury.   By all accounts, he's a special talent.   We'll see what happens. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 03:40:51 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2015, 03:49:16 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I'm confused...did we acquire Joel Embiid? B/c there sure are a lot of threads and posts about this dude. (Yes, I get many of us finding what Philly is doing pretty shameless and would enjoy seeing them fail at it, but seriously, why are we devoting this much energy to a guy that's not on our team, and probably won't ever be on our team?)
Philly is the alt-universe Celtic team we see in our dreams.  It's hard not to notice them...  seeing as they are a division rival, started their rebuild right around the same time as us, and are doing what many of us hoped Boston would do:  bottom out and load up on superstar prospects.    There's a certain amount of jealousy, awe and envy associated with everything Philly is doing right now.  There's heightened interest in their superstar prospects.  Naturally, a lot of Celtic fans would greatly prefer to see Philly fall on their face... and with Philly seemingly holding all of the cards and Danny getting turned down when he offers half his assets for one of them, you can imagine how chippy some of these threads can get.

To be clear, it might blow up in their face.  But it also might result in a perennial contender.   Embiid is the crown jewel of Philly's shameless scheme.  I really don't care one way or the other whether Embiid plays.  As a fan of the sport, I'm curious to see what he develops into.  I like watching great playes.  As a Celtic fan, I'm deftly afraid of living in obscurity while Embiid rules the division for the next 15 years.  But I'm not going to latch onto Weekly World News rumors simply because I'm fearful of the coming winter.  I've kind of accepted Boston's fate of indefinite irrelevance so I guess I'm just a little more numb to the idea of the Philly dynasty. 

« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2015, 07:54:49 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Philly is the alt-universe Celtic team we see in our dreams.  It's hard not to notice them...  seeing as they are a division rival, started their rebuild right around the same time as us, and are doing what many of us hoped Boston would do:  bottom out and load up on superstar prospects.    There's a certain amount of jealousy, awe and envy associated with everything Philly is doing right now.  There's heightened interest in their superstar prospects.  Naturally, a lot of Celtic fans would greatly prefer to see Philly fall on their face... and with Philly seemingly holding all of the cards and Danny getting turned down when he offers half his assets for one of them, you can imagine how chippy some of these threads can get.

To be clear, it might blow up in their face.  But it also might result in a perennial contender.   Embiid is the crown jewel of Philly's shameless scheme.  I really don't care one way or the other whether Embiid plays.  As a fan of the sport, I'm curious to see what he develops into.  I like watching great playes.  As a Celtic fan, I'm deftly afraid of living in obscurity while Embiid rules the division for the next 15 years.  But I'm not going to latch onto Weekly World News rumors simply because I'm fearful of the coming winter.  I've kind of accepted Boston's fate of indefinite irrelevance so I guess I'm just a little more numb to the idea of the Philly dynasty.

Very well said, and agree with most of this.  I for one do wish we had taken the more aggressive rebuilding - tanking approach that Philly has taken. It is working, based on the high level assets they have accumulated just in the last 3 seasons.  Would I trade our roster for theirs right now?  In a heart  beat. I think "indefinite irrelevance" is a bit harsh, though.  Same thing could have been said about us during just before the KG-Ray Allen trades.  Things can turn on a dime.

« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2015, 08:13:56 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418

I agree with alot of this.

I think it remains to be seen whether these prospects can fully develop in such a crazy "win last" environment. I think at some point, you need to start getting these guys to play like superstars so they are trade able, or actually contribute to winning.

What Philly is doing is bold, transparent, and requires a top down directive that its okay to lose and invest in the future literally by losing out on ticket sales.

I have nothing against tanking, but stringing 3,4,5 tank seasons together, might do more harm then good in my opinion. The Celts tanked 1 year, crapped out in the lottery, but still have a boat load of young players they need to develop on the roster. Maybe they will all become role players, but maybe one turns out to be a valuable trade centerpiece (our next Big Al). Either way at the moment I am glad they hired Brad Stevens to coach these guys and maximize their talent.

But I am also very open to the Philly method if it is proven out. Just glad they are the guinea pig because it could all fall apart very easily.

« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2015, 12:24:09 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Meh

I get it.  Most of the hate towards him stems from jealousy of Philly's situation.  Embiid is known as one of the best prospects to enter this league in the past decade.  Boston once again was on the outside looking in.  We can't have him, so we might as well root against him.  I get it.  A lot of my fellow Celtic want to believe Embiid will bust.    I don't see it happening, though.   Based on what I've read, I expect he'll play... and I expect he'll be a special player. 

Btw, it's ok to admit it.  I'm very jealous of Philly fans.  I'd swap our entire roster and assets with them in a nanonsecond... even if Embiid never walks again, it's a no brainer trade.

Are you really pulling the "we're just jealous" statement?

« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2015, 01:54:11 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Larbrd you realize people would take you a lot more seriously and you could make your points stronger if you didn't include the needless hyperbole. Embiid is already entering his second season and obviously, even if we are to be the most optimistic people in the world, is at risk for future injury. How can you expect him to "dominate for the next 15 years"

Even Hakeem, probably the greatest low post center of all time started breaking down after 13 seasons. David Robinson's last dominate season was at age 32. Shaq last averaged 20 points at 32 and double digit rebounds at 33. Patrick Ewing is probably the best of the modern day centers for longevity having his last full and dominate season at age 34. You think Embiid entering the league off back and knee injuries is going to have a better career than all those guys? That crosses the line from optimistic to ridiculous expectation. If this guy is a great player for 10-12 seasons based on his history of injuries and college and this type of injury that would be a miracle that should be applauded.

« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2015, 02:01:36 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
For what it's worth I think LarBrd provides a lot more to the forum/contributes to more meaningful discussion than some of his detractors, who mostly miss the point and snipe because they're curmudgeonly, or something.

As far as the actual discussion goes, these two posts on the first page were really all that needs to be said on the issue:

I can't believe how small he makes Okafor look.
and that is why the Sixers aren't messing around with him.  If they get him healthy he is going to be an absolute beast.  But he has to get healthy.

They're not really in a rush. They probably plan on tanking again this year, so him being out recovering from surgery would just fit that narrative perfectly. That would also give them the chance to see how the Okafor/Noel pairing does without having to really limit their minutes with another big demanding minutes.

The rest is just noise.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2015, 02:12:37 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
For what it's worth I think LarBrd provides a lot more to the forum/contributes to more meaningful discussion than some of his detractors, who mostly miss the point and snipe because they're curmudgeonly, or something.

Every time someone says that the Celtics are doomed to mediorcity for 15 years or any other hyperbolic message is more baiting people, than contributing.

« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2015, 02:20:22 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Despite what eja said in the previous page, 4-6 months was always given as an optimistic estimate.  From day 1, they said it could take up to a full year for it to fully heal for some athletes (by the way, eja and Eddie are fully aware of this).  Had 4-6 months been definitive, we wouldn't have known from day 1 that Embiid was being kept out a full season (since 6 months would have been sometime in December... plenty of time for Embiid to play out the final 4 months of the season... and yet that was NEVER an option).

LarBrd,  the things that you're spewing are flat out lies, man. Why the need to state things that you to know to be false?

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24599571/sixers-gm-sam-hinkie-joel-embiid-out-5-8-months-not-4-6

You (false statement #1)
From day 1, they said it could take up to a full year for it to fully heal for some athletes

Reality
Immediately following surgery
Timeframe -- I've seen reported some 4 to 6 months -- that's not the number that I've heard," Hinkie said. "The number that I've heard from the surgeon himself was 5 to 8 months."

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2015/02/10/hinkie-embiid-could-play-this-season-might-be-sixers-second-best-shooter/

You (false statement #2)
6 months would have been sometime in December... plenty of time for Embiid to play out the final 4 months of the season... and yet that was NEVER an option)

Reality
Feb 10, 2015
“It’s still too early,” Hinkie said on Embiid playing this season. “We still talked about that. He’ll have a number of benchmarks that he’ll have to meet and if he meets them he’ll play.

« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2015, 02:22:08 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141

As far as the actual discussion goes, these two posts on the first page were really all that needs to be said on the issue:

I can't believe how small he makes Okafor look.
and that is why the Sixers aren't messing around with him.  If they get him healthy he is going to be an absolute beast.  But he has to get healthy.

They're not really in a rush. They probably plan on tanking again this year, so him being out recovering from surgery would just fit that narrative perfectly. That would also give them the chance to see how the Okafor/Noel pairing does without having to really limit their minutes with another big demanding minutes.

The rest is just noise.

Lol.

Miss the point?

Really?