Author Topic: Another non-update update on Embiid  (Read 27194 times)

Re: Another non-update update on Embiid
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2015, 07:03:30 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I would just love to see him play some ball.
He has the talent and physical make up to be one of the greats.

It would be great for the NBA if this guy were healthy.

Apparently he's still growing and is now at 7'2" without shoes lol.

Regardless what you think of Philly, this guy would be so fun to watch develop on the court as a basketball fan.

I would agree with that, although at this point I would say the still growing part is more of a negative than a positive. Does he have Acromegaly? He is 21 not 18 so still growing in height is fairly unusual.
See David Robinson.

I tried researching this (David Robinson), and the details are really vague. He grew while in the Navy but I can't really find anything that showed whether it was happening when he was 19 (much more common) or after he had turned 21.
Slight growth at 21 may be uncommon but it is no reason to project it to be a very rare health condition.  It is probably not surprising considering where he started from a few years ago. 

these photos scare the crap out of me as a guy that would like to see him play. This added bulk could very well be why he is having trouble healing and the injury problems. If he has put on 60 pounds in 2 years  (along with height growth) like these photos suggest ligaments and joints have a ton of stress on them.
Sixty pounds over a 2 or 3 year period isn't a big deal for a guy.  You do realize he's from Cameroon so his diet changed drastically when he came to the U.S.  You can also see the effects of the NBA strength training from 2014 to 2015.

it sure sounds like a lot to me. I am guessing neither of us are doctors though.

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2015, 07:32:52 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
The healthier Embiid is, the better it is for the Cs. We need our future center and until Philly can really analyze what they have, we won't have the opportunity to trade for one from the NBA's apparent breeding ground.

Yes.

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2015, 07:34:36 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
The healthier Embiid is, the better it is for the Cs. We need our future center and until Philly can really analyze what they have, we won't have the opportunity to trade for one from the NBA's apparent breeding ground.

not to be a pessimist, but I think Phillys plan is that once theyre ready to unload one of these future stars, they want to trade them for established players to pair with their young guys.

In other words, once they decide theyre ready to stop tanking, theyre not gonna want to make trades for draft picks, which is really all that we have to offer.

Once again, we're gonna fall short when it comes to make the next level trade I feel

Everything being equal, we are on the bottom of Hinkie's list of trade partners when it is time for them to move one of their bigs. 

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2015, 07:37:20 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

not to be a pessimist, but I think Phillys plan is that once theyre ready to unload one of these future stars, they want to trade them for established players to pair with their young guys.

In other words, once they decide theyre ready to stop tanking, theyre not gonna want to make trades for draft picks, which is really all that we have to offer.

Once again, we're gonna fall short when it comes to make the next level trade I feel

Everything being equal, we are on the bottom of Hinkie's list of trade partners when it is time for them to move one of their bigs.
good thing it's not all equal

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2015, 07:47:26 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Originally Embiid was supposed to miss 4 to 6 months.  http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2014/story/_/id/11113739/2014-nba-draft-joel-embiid-screws-inserted-foot-surgery We are now nearing month 13. He should be 150%. Instead he's not 100% yet, with no timeframe.

The average missed time for a broken navicular bone is 59 games http://instreetclothes.com/2014/06/19/breaking-joel-embiids-navicular-fracture/.....we are at 82 and counting.

Lastly Embiid didn't even injure himself playing basketball. He did a couple predraft work outs for teams.  I have honestly seen 80 year old women make far more impressive recoveries from broken hips. FAR MORE.

Comparing him to Oden at this point is just insulting to Oden.

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2015, 07:58:56 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Since everyone loves to talk about this guy, I figured we can give the latest update. He is doing some practicing, has a positive attitude but is still limited and the organization hasn't decided what their next step is yet

http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-philadelphia-76ers/joel-embiid-present-sixers-minicamp-practice-but-limited

This whole thing is getting pretty bizarre at this point. It seems like it would be useful for the 76ers to make a decision pretty soon. If he needs another surgery, then they should probably do that as soon as possible instead of waiting for two months to do it. It is not like this is a situation where they are waiting for swelling to go down to operate. They did the scan about a month ago, how long does it take this many doctors to make a decision on it?
My perception of it hasn't changed.  He feels 100%.   Scans show he's not 100%... So they are having him ease back activities and give it more time to heal so not to risk reinjury.  He's also apparently grown to 7'2 since last year so maybe that has something to do with the "different" ct scan.  I think if surgery was going to happen it would happen already.  My guess is they are going to keep him out of summer league and let him get ready for the regular season 4 months from now.

I would have bet my car you would have typed this exact message.

He has a few go to sayings, which he often rotates depending on the situation

* Noel is a future star (yet has the offense of a Cauley-Stein...more on that below)

* Cauley-Stein is the next Biyombo (even though his game is exactly like Noel's)

* Sixers have 3 of the 6 best young big man prospects (using the word "prospects" is his way of saying they haven't done anything and filtering out Davis, Cousins, Drummond, etc. from the argument)

* Smart is a defensive role player (yet Noel is not)

* Celtics players are garbage and their picks worthless

LarBrd33 is right on this particular issue. I would honestly be surprised to see Embiid not suited up for the first game of next season. If he's healthy, I would bet my car he matures into a perennial All-Star.
Based on his college career or his pro career so far?

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2015, 08:27:47 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
The healthier Embiid is, the better it is for the Cs. We need our future cheer-leader and until Philly can really analyze what they have, we won't have the opportunity to trade for one from the NBA's apparent breeding ground.

Edit:
Fixed, since the only way we get Embiid is if the Sixers have determined he's too high a medical risk and given up on him...and if that's the case then all he'd do for us is sit on the bench and wave towels.

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2015, 08:35:04 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

Regardless what you think of Philly, this guy would be so fun to watch develop on the court as a basketball fan.

I would agree with that, although at this point I would say the still growing part is more of a negative than a positive. Does he have Acromegaly? He is 21 not 18 so still growing in height is fairly unusual.
See David Robinson.

I tried researching this (David Robinson), and the details are really vague. He grew while in the Navy but I can't really find anything that showed whether it was happening when he was 19 (much more common) or after he had turned 21.
Slight growth at 21 may be uncommon but it is no reason to project it to be a very rare health condition.  It is probably not surprising considering where he started from a few years ago. 

You guys all DO realise right, that there is no actual credibility behind the claims that he has grown to 7'2'?

The story is that Embiid sent a text message to his coach saying "guess what coach, I'm 7'2" now!!!". 

If that's considered credible in today's day and age, then I would like to tell all the ladies out there that I'm 6'5" and 210 pounds with 5% body fat...as opposed to 5'11" and 280 pounds with probably about 25% body fat. 

Also even if you DID believe this to be true...at what point does growing 2" taller and adding significant weight sounds good for a big man who already has a bad medical history? All it does is increase the risk of career medical issues exponentially.

If anything that's a big part of why I'm comfortable investing in Noel - he's 7 feet tall but he's not a heavy guy and plays more of an athletic/finesse style of game, so there is a lot less pressure on his body.

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2015, 08:38:40 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

* Noel is a future star (yet has the offense of a Cauley-Stein...more on that below)

* Cauley-Stein is the next Biyombo (even though his game is exactly like Noel's)

* Sixers have 3 of the 6 best young big man prospects (using the word "prospects" is his way of saying they haven't done anything and filtering out Davis, Cousins, Drummond, etc. from the argument)

Oh my, that is one of the best (and funniest) posts I have read this year.

TP!!

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2015, 08:54:19 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

TP!!

I'll second that. Impressive accuracy as well.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2015, 08:57:00 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

See David Robinson.

You guys all DO realise right, that there is no actual credibility behind the claims that he has grown to 7'2'?

The story is that Embiid sent a text message to his coach saying "guess what coach, I'm 7'2" now!!!". 

If that's considered credible in today's day and age, then I would like to tell all the ladies out there that I'm 6'5" and 210 pounds with 5% body fat...as opposed to 5'11" and 280 pounds with probably about 25% body fat. 

Also even if you DID believe this to be true...at what point does growing 2" taller and adding significant weight sounds good for a big man who already has a bad medical history? All it does is increase the risk of career medical issues exponentially.

If anything that's a big part of why I'm comfortable investing in Noel - he's 7 feet tall but he's not a heavy guy and plays more of an athletic/finesse style of game, so there is a lot less pressure on his body.
When Coach Brown asked how he knew, Embiid responded "Doctors".  Look at the photo with Okafor, Embiid certainly looks a few inches taller.  He's also clearly very fit not heavy.  I like Noel and would love to have him in Celtics green but Embiid has a lot more upside because of his offense. 

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2015, 10:08:00 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

See David Robinson.

When Coach Brown asked how he knew, Embiid responded "Doctors".  Look at the photo with Okafor, Embiid certainly looks a few inches taller.  He's also clearly very fit not heavy.  I like Noel and would love to have him in Celtics green but Embiid has a lot more upside because of his offense.

Again, word of mouth means nothing to me.  I don't care how tall Embiid says he is, or who he credits as his source for such information.

Also the image is not in any way conclusive.  He looks maybe an inch taller than Okafor (who is 6' 10.75") at best.  Even if you ignore perspective (where they are standing relative to the camera) there is no way Embiid looks 3" taller than Okafor in that pic.  If Okafor is 6'10" - 6'11" then Embiid is 7'1" at most.

Finally how can you say he looks 'fit not heavy'?  He may not look heavy in terms of increased body fat, but he's clearly added a LOT of bulk compared to his 2014 shot.  If he was 240 lbs during the combine, then he's got to be at least 255 - 260 in those 2015 shots.

Added weight (regardless of whether it's muscle or not, means more stress on knees, feet, etc.

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2015, 10:55:21 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

TP!!
and yet its all true

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2015, 10:58:10 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Since everyone loves to talk about this guy, I figured we can give the latest update. He is doing some practicing, has a positive attitude but is still limited and the organization hasn't decided what their next step is yet

http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-philadelphia-76ers/joel-embiid-present-sixers-minicamp-practice-but-limited

This whole thing is getting pretty bizarre at this point. It seems like it would be useful for the 76ers to make a decision pretty soon. If he needs another surgery, then they should probably do that as soon as possible instead of waiting for two months to do it. It is not like this is a situation where they are waiting for swelling to go down to operate. They did the scan about a month ago, how long does it take this many doctors to make a decision on it?
My perception of it hasn't changed.  He feels 100%.   Scans show he's not 100%... So they are having him ease back activities and give it more time to heal so not to risk reinjury.  He's also apparently grown to 7'2 since last year so maybe that has something to do with the "different" ct scan.  I think if surgery was going to happen it would happen already.  My guess is they are going to keep him out of summer league and let him get ready for the regular season 4 months from now.

I would have bet my car you would have typed this exact message.

LarBrd33 is right on this particular issue. I would honestly be surprised to see Embiid not suited up for the first game of next season. If he's healthy, I would bet my car he matures into a perennial All-Star.

I'm not denying that. However, the word IF is the most important thing in that statement. Had Walton not had foot injuries some think he would've been right up there with the best bigs of all-time (Russell, Kareem, Wilt, etc.). Oden and Bowie are others that had their careers cut short. If's are always part of the equation especially with a big like Embiid that just can't stay healthy.

2012-13...His HS coach said Embiid dealt with various injuries
2013-14...Suffers two stress fractures (Back and Foot)
2014-15...Misses season due to foot stress fracture
Summer 2015...Not healing as expected. Will miss summer league. Rumored to possibly need another surgery on foot.

His injury history isn't as easily dismissed as LarBrd33 likes to pretend it is. Especially when it comes to a big man. Especially when it's a player that hasn't even been playing basketball much (taking it up at a latter age). If he can't stay healthy from shortened HS and college seasons against boys and teens, how is he going to handle the long grueling seasons of NBA basketball against men?
Meh

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2015, 11:04:20 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
If Id have to choose between Noel and Embiid I'd go with Noel. Foot Injuries are never good for bigs, just ask Yao Ming.