Author Topic: Another non-update update on Embiid  (Read 27307 times)

Re: Another non-update update on Embiid
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2015, 05:03:41 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
I would just love to see him play some ball.
He has the talent and physical make up to be one of the greats.

It would be great for the NBA if this guy were healthy.

Apparently he's still growing and is now at 7'2" without shoes lol.

Regardless what you think of Philly, this guy would be so fun to watch develop on the court as a basketball fan.

I would agree with that, although at this point I would say the still growing part is more of a negative than a positive. Does he have Acromegaly? He is 21 not 18 so still growing in height is fairly unusual.
See David Robinson.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 05:10:12 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

Regardless what you think of Philly, this guy would be so fun to watch develop on the court as a basketball fan.

I would agree with that, although at this point I would say the still growing part is more of a negative than a positive. Does he have Acromegaly? He is 21 not 18 so still growing in height is fairly unusual.
See David Robinson.

I tried researching this (David Robinson), and the details are really vague. He grew while in the Navy but I can't really find anything that showed whether it was happening when he was 19 (much more common) or after he had turned 21.

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2015, 05:22:58 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

See David Robinson.

I tried researching this (David Robinson), and the details are really vague. He grew while in the Navy but I can't really find anything that showed whether it was happening when he was 19 (much more common) or after he had turned 21.
Well he came into college at 6'8'' and left at 7'1''. We don't know exactly when he grew those extra 5 inches.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2015, 05:46:48 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Since everyone loves to talk about this guy, I figured we can give the latest update. He is doing some practicing, has a positive attitude but is still limited and the organization hasn't decided what their next step is yet

http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-philadelphia-76ers/joel-embiid-present-sixers-minicamp-practice-but-limited

This whole thing is getting pretty bizarre at this point. It seems like it would be useful for the 76ers to make a decision pretty soon. If he needs another surgery, then they should probably do that as soon as possible instead of waiting for two months to do it. It is not like this is a situation where they are waiting for swelling to go down to operate. They did the scan about a month ago, how long does it take this many doctors to make a decision on it?
My perception of it hasn't changed.  He feels 100%.   Scans show he's not 100%... So they are having him ease back activities and give it more time to heal so not to risk reinjury.  He's also apparently grown to 7'2 since last year so maybe that has something to do with the "different" ct scan.  I think if surgery was going to happen it would happen already.  My guess is they are going to keep him out of summer league and let him get ready for the regular season 4 months from now.

I would have bet my car you would have typed this exact message.

He has a few go to sayings, which he often rotates depending on the situation

* Noel is a future star (yet has the offense of a Cauley-Stein...more on that below)

* Cauley-Stein is the next Biyombo (even though his game is exactly like Noel's)

* Sixers have 3 of the 6 best young big man prospects (using the word "prospects" is his way of saying they haven't done anything and filtering out Davis, Cousins, Drummond, etc. from the argument)

* Smart is a defensive role player (yet Noel is not)

* Celtics players are garbage and their picks worthless

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2015, 06:07:08 PM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38

See David Robinson.

Well he came into college at 6'8'' and left at 7'1''. We don't know exactly when he grew those extra 5 inches.

A more recent example is Paul George.  He was listed at 6'8" or 6'9" when he was drafted and grew to 6'10" by his second season.

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2015, 06:10:32 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
He is going to be another Greg Oden..no way I would pick him..thank goodnss Philly did instead of us
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2015, 06:17:20 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

See David Robinson.

A more recent example is Paul George.  He was listed at 6'8" or 6'9" when he was drafted and grew to 6'10" by his second season.

Good find. However, it is kind of funny when we are debating if super late growth can increase chances of injury/be a bad thing to raise a guy coming back off a broken leg  ;D

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2015, 06:20:52 PM »

Offline chancevill

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 1
Since everyone loves to talk about this guy, I figured we can give the latest update. He is doing some practicing, has a positive attitude but is still limited and the organization hasn't decided what their next step is yet

http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-philadelphia-76ers/joel-embiid-present-sixers-minicamp-practice-but-limited

This whole thing is getting pretty bizarre at this point. It seems like it would be useful for the 76ers to make a decision pretty soon. If he needs another surgery, then they should probably do that as soon as possible instead of waiting for two months to do it. It is not like this is a situation where they are waiting for swelling to go down to operate. They did the scan about a month ago, how long does it take this many doctors to make a decision on it?
My perception of it hasn't changed.  He feels 100%.   Scans show he's not 100%... So they are having him ease back activities and give it more time to heal so not to risk reinjury.  He's also apparently grown to 7'2 since last year so maybe that has something to do with the "different" ct scan.  I think if surgery was going to happen it would happen already.  My guess is they are going to keep him out of summer league and let him get ready for the regular season 4 months from now.

* Noel is a future star (yet has the offense of a Cauley-Stein...more on that below)

* Cauley-Stein is the next Biyombo (even though his game is exactly like Noel's)

* Sixers have 3 of the 6 best young big man prospects (using the word "prospects" is his way of saying they haven't done anything and filtering out Davis, Cousins, Drummond, etc. from the argument)

TP Eddie

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2015, 06:24:03 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

See David Robinson.

Slight growth at 21 may be uncommon but it is no reason to project it to be a very rare health condition.  It is probably not surprising considering where he started from a few years ago. 

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2015, 06:29:31 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

See David Robinson.

Slight growth at 21 may be uncommon but it is no reason to project it to be a very rare health condition.  It is probably not surprising considering where he started from a few years ago. 

these photos scare the crap out of me as a guy that would like to see him play. This added bulk could very well be why he is having trouble healing and the injury problems. If he has put on 60 pounds in 2 years  (along with height growth) like these photos suggest ligaments and joints have a ton of stress on them.

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2015, 06:35:05 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Dang ...

Dat bro hand nuffing to eat

Now porked like BIg baby

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2015, 06:40:03 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367

LarBrd33 is right on this particular issue. I would honestly be surprised to see Embiid not suited up for the first game of next season. If he's healthy, I would bet my car he matures into a perennial All-Star.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2015, 06:43:33 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418

See David Robinson.

Boy did College have a different  effect on my body.

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2015, 06:54:33 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

LarBrd33 is right on this particular issue. I would honestly be surprised to see Embiid not suited up for the first game of next season. If he's healthy, I would bet my car he matures into a perennial All-Star.

I'm not denying that. However, the word IF is the most important thing in that statement. Had Walton not had foot injuries some think he would've been right up there with the best bigs of all-time (Russell, Kareem, Wilt, etc.). Oden and Bowie are others that had their careers cut short. If's are always part of the equation especially with a big like Embiid that just can't stay healthy.

2012-13...His HS coach said Embiid dealt with various injuries
2013-14...Suffers two stress fractures (Back and Foot)
2014-15...Misses season due to foot stress fracture
Summer 2015...Not healing as expected. Will miss summer league. Rumored to possibly need another surgery on foot.

His injury history isn't as easily dismissed as LarBrd33 likes to pretend it is. Especially when it comes to a big man. Especially when it's a player that hasn't even been playing basketball much (taking it up at a latter age). If he can't stay healthy from shortened HS and college seasons against boys and teens, how is he going to handle the long grueling seasons of NBA basketball against men?

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2015, 07:00:13 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

See David Robinson.

these photos scare the crap out of me as a guy that would like to see him play. This added bulk could very well be why he is having trouble healing and the injury problems. If he has put on 60 pounds in 2 years  (along with height growth) like these photos suggest ligaments and joints have a ton of stress on them.
Sixty pounds over a 2 or 3 year period isn't a big deal for a guy.  You do realize he's from Cameroon so his diet changed drastically when he came to the U.S.  You can also see the effects of the NBA strength training from 2014 to 2015.