Author Topic: Another non-update update on Embiid  (Read 27313 times)

Another non-update update on Embiid
« on: July 06, 2015, 02:38:24 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
Since everyone loves to talk about this guy, I figured we can give the latest update. He is doing some practicing, has a positive attitude but is still limited and the organization hasn't decided what their next step is yet

http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-philadelphia-76ers/joel-embiid-present-sixers-minicamp-practice-but-limited

This whole thing is getting pretty bizarre at this point. It seems like it would be useful for the 76ers to make a decision pretty soon. If he needs another surgery, then they should probably do that as soon as possible instead of waiting for two months to do it. It is not like this is a situation where they are waiting for swelling to go down to operate. They did the scan about a month ago, how long does it take this many doctors to make a decision on it?

Re: Another non-update update on Embiid
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 02:44:54 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
They're not really in a rush. They probably plan on tanking again this year, so him being out recovering from surgery would just fit that narrative perfectly. That would also give them the chance to see how the Okafor/Noel pairing does without having to really limit their minutes with another big demanding minutes.

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 02:48:04 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
They're not really in a rush. They probably plan on tanking again this year, so him being out recovering from surgery would just fit that narrative perfectly. That would also give them the chance to see how the Okafor/Noel pairing does without having to really limit their minutes with another big demanding minutes.

Are you suggesting they are needlessly holding him out to get a look at those two? That would not be legal and no player would ever willingly go there if they did something like that. This guy has not played organized basketball for like 18 months at this point. He needs to play and the summer league would have done him a lot of good.

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 03:06:22 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930

Are you suggesting they are needlessly holding him out to get a look at those two? That would not be legal and no player would ever willingly go there if they did something like that. This guy has not played organized basketball for like 18 months at this point. He needs to play and the summer league would have done him a lot of good.

Not needlessly. I'm just saying they're taking an extremely patient approach. There's no use to rush. So why not wait and see if it can heal on its own rather than risk another surgery? He's not really needed this year anyways.

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 03:08:46 PM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
At Liberty Ballers they will tell you it is another brilliant Hinkie move to wait and see how the leg goes. Or otherwise, the whole information is Hinkie-born and that he is playing chess while...blabla

Seriously, the cult becomes obnoxious. Recently it was argued it was a good thing that the organisation withheld information on Holiday's medical records from NO?!

This year again they are a bottom-3 team. If they do not hurry up with that brilliant plan Noel will leave fed up with losing once the 4 years are over.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 03:27:10 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
At Liberty Ballers they will tell you it is another brilliant Hinkie move to wait and see how the leg goes. Or otherwise, the whole information is Hinkie-born and that he is playing chess while...blabla

Seriously, the cult becomes obnoxious. Recently it was argued it was a good thing that the organisation withheld information on Holiday's medical records from NO?!

This year again they are a bottom-3 team. If they do not hurry up with that brilliant plan Noel will leave fed up with losing once the 4 years are over.

Seriously! While I I can certainly appreciate a transparent and bold rebuilding method, it doesnt mean its going to work.

If these guys they are drafting do not start to develop into all star starting calber players, you have to really look at how likely it is for players to develop in a tanking environment. OR you have to bring in a real coach to work with these guys, which would mean more wins.

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 03:33:41 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

I can't believe how small he makes Okafor look.

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 04:12:18 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
The healthier Embiid is, the better it is for the Cs. We need our future center and until Philly can really analyze what they have, we won't have the opportunity to trade for one from the NBA's apparent breeding ground.

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 04:31:15 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

I can't believe how small he makes Okafor look.
and that is why the Sixers aren't messing around with him.  If they get him healthy he is going to be an absolute beast.  But he has to get healthy.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 04:48:24 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
The healthier Embiid is, the better it is for the Cs. We need our future center and until Philly can really analyze what they have, we won't have the opportunity to trade for one from the NBA's apparent breeding ground.

not to be a pessimist, but I think Phillys plan is that once theyre ready to unload one of these future stars, they want to trade them for established players to pair with their young guys.

In other words, once they decide theyre ready to stop tanking, theyre not gonna want to make trades for draft picks, which is really all that we have to offer.

Once again, we're gonna fall short when it comes to make the next level trade I feel
Greg

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 04:49:31 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I would just love to see him play some ball.
He has the talent and physical make up to be one of the greats.

It would be great for the NBA if this guy were healthy.

Apparently he's still growing and is now at 7'2" without shoes lol.

Regardless what you think of Philly, this guy would be so fun to watch develop on the court as a basketball fan.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 04:56:41 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Since everyone loves to talk about this guy, I figured we can give the latest update. He is doing some practicing, has a positive attitude but is still limited and the organization hasn't decided what their next step is yet

http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-philadelphia-76ers/joel-embiid-present-sixers-minicamp-practice-but-limited

This whole thing is getting pretty bizarre at this point. It seems like it would be useful for the 76ers to make a decision pretty soon. If he needs another surgery, then they should probably do that as soon as possible instead of waiting for two months to do it. It is not like this is a situation where they are waiting for swelling to go down to operate. They did the scan about a month ago, how long does it take this many doctors to make a decision on it?
My perception of it hasn't changed.  He feels 100%.   Scans show he's not 100%... So they are having him ease back activities and give it more time to heal so not to risk reinjury.  He's also apparently grown to 7'2 since last year so maybe that has something to do with the "different" ct scan.  I think if surgery was going to happen it would happen already.  My guess is they are going to keep him out of summer league and let him get ready for the regular season 4 months from now.

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 04:59:38 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
I would just love to see him play some ball.
He has the talent and physical make up to be one of the greats.

It would be great for the NBA if this guy were healthy.

Apparently he's still growing and is now at 7'2" without shoes lol.

Regardless what you think of Philly, this guy would be so fun to watch develop on the court as a basketball fan.

I would agree with that, although at this point I would say the still growing part is more of a negative than a positive. Does he have Acromegaly? He is 21 not 18 so still growing in height is fairly unusual.

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2015, 05:00:34 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

My perception of it hasn't changed.  He feels 100%.   Scans show he's not 100%... So they are having him ease back activities and give it more time to heal so not to risk reinjury.  He's also apparently grown to 7'2 since last year so maybe that has something to do with the "different" ct scan.  I think if surgery was going to happen it would happen already.  My guess is they are going to keep him out of summer league and let him get ready for the regular season 4 months from now.

I would have bet my car you would have typed this exact message.

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 05:02:15 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525

I agree that Philly is being smart and cautious.  The payoff looks like it could be big, and apparently still getting bigger!   

I know it's hard to speculate like this, but what are the chances that you'd be saying Danny wasted a high draft pick on Embiid if he were a Celtic right now?