Author Topic: Pretty Easy to See: Avery Bradley is the Odd man out  (Read 8035 times)

Re: Pretty Easy to See: Avery Bradley is the Odd man out
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2015, 12:16:56 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Rozier was drafted as his replacement. AB has reached his ceiling as an Aaron Afflolo type, and with his contract, will be a great trade asset.

Just a matter of time...

(My opinion, but i dont think its hard to see this...)

I've been saying this since the draft. TP. I think the Smart comparison is valid, and because of the trade talk around Smart at the draft people are speculating he's likely to be moved but I think it's AB that's gonna be moved.

Bradley has real value in this league. For a team like OKC AB is the perfect piece to push them over the top. In the right situation he can start on a contender and He's got a really good contract that will only look better in time. Great locker room presence and a true professional. Plus he's what, 24? Ainge already turned down offers of Late 1sts and cap took for him, he can get us help in other areas.

Rozier should be a really good defensive player. He's lightning fast and tenacious. Don't know if he can be as good as AB on that end but the talent is there and so is the potential for a much better all-around player. I think Ainge realizes that Smart will probably play best with someone else who can handle the ball sometimes. In today's NBA you really don't need a pure PG. I still think Smart can become our primary ball-handler, but having a guy like Rozier who can do a lot with the ball himself next to him makes a kind of thunder and lightning effect that retains our defensive prowess in the back-court. Smart's shooting improved a lot last year and he proved he can play off the ball. If Rozier can do the sane thing this year, they could be a really dangerous two-way backcourt in the future.

Plus, even though I warmed up to him near the end of last year and I value his versatility, Rozier developing makes Turner expendable. And I sure wouldn't shed any tears seeing him go.

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 12:34:54 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
I know this is the easy answer, but I think pretty much everyone's future is entirely contingent on circumstance.  I think it's certainly accurate to say that there is a glut of guards on the roster, but how Danny chooses to address that issue will depend on what comes along.  Maybe a contender wants Bradley, and will give us something nice for him.  Maybe another bottom-feeder like Philly wants to flip their glut of bigs for some of our guards and will want some of the youngsters instead. 

But I think it's a mistake to think that DA drafted Rozier and Hunter to replace Bradley.  I think he drafted them because he thought they were the best players on the board.  And I wouldn't be surprised if CBS plays a lot of 3 (and maybe even some 4) guard lineups this year in order to get the most talent on the floor (and to best showcase and develop our young talent).

TP

Easy answer or not, it's the right answer. There's no such thing as untouchable. If somebody makes the right offer, DA will trade anybody.

I don't dislike Bradley as much as a lot of people on this board seem to, although I'm not a big Sully fan. My guess is that, assuming they have reasonable seasons, their value will be highest right before the trade deadline, when a contending team needs a little bench strength. The question is what kind of return you can get from a contending team, particularly if you want good draft picks.

Also agree on BPA. Go back to the draft threads about who we wanted Danny to draft. The overwhelming majority said BPA. Guess what? That's what we got, or at least who DA likely valued as BPA. Would we rather it have been a big? Sure. But we can't go back and say, "Well, I meant BPA unless it was a guard."

Mike

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2015, 12:37:53 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
8 mil a year, 15ppg, 3rpg, 2apg, 1.5spg in 33mpg   43%/35%/79%

Near Elite level defense, average offense. Tons of hustle with head on his shoulders.

Next off season when the cap is near 90mil his 8mil contract will look very very good. 

I'd say he is definitely a good asset to trade. Nice job by Danny to lock him up early for cheap.

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2015, 12:43:15 PM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
I cant wait until we trade Bradley. To be 6'2 he is so frustrating to watch on the offensive end. His ball handling skills are just not dynamic enough to create any offense without utilizing a solid pick. Great defender, but he's like a dinosaur on Offense. Back door cutting worked playing alongside Rondo, but now hes clapping for the ball and rolling off screens for his patented mid range shot. He really thinks he is a go-to scorer. Trade him yesterday.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 01:33:15 PM by BlackCeltic »

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2015, 12:54:44 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I don't see us trading Bradley unless he is part of a package for a good player coming back.

My thinking is that there isn't a log jam until the young players show that they need to play maybe even start. If that does happen then Bradley is a quality bench piece. Not to mention he is still fairly young and could improve.

I see Turner as the odd man out. Last year he provided ball handling for the first unit so that Smart could start but wouldn't have to be the full time PG. This year I see Smart improving and becoming the full time pg. If Smart can handle running the offense then we can upgrade at the 3 with Jae Crowder (or James Young if he shows something in camp).
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2015, 01:12:47 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
One thing is bradley is not the best defensive guard on our team (smart) nor has he been playing elite defense for 2 years.  He is good but he has pulled back on the full court great defense, could be from coach. 
So you have a good defender at sg who is 6'2", can't create off the dribble and who's shot is a bit inconsistent.  Him, Sully, Wallace and a draft pick is a big trade chip.

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2015, 01:32:02 PM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
One thing is bradley is not the best defensive guard on our team (smart) nor has he been playing elite defense for 2 years.  He is good but he has pulled back on the full court great defense, could be from coach. 
So you have a good defender at sg who is 6'2", can't create off the dribble and who's shot is a bit inconsistent.  Him, Sully, Wallace and a draft pick is a big trade chip.

Agreed.

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2015, 02:00:49 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I think it's easy to see that Turner's usefulness here is done.

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2015, 02:15:56 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Bradley is indeed the odd man out, especially since he played poorly in the playoffs, but I fear that Danny won't trade him unless we offer him Anthony Davis in return.

There have been multiple reports - that we learn of after the trade deadline - of some offers for Bradley that Ainge turned down because he "loves and highly values Bradley" .

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2015, 02:24:33 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
It's not going to be the black and white. Bradley I think is most likely to be the odd man out. But it may also be Smart who heads out because his trade value is the highest. If I had to order who was most likely to be traded I would say its:

1. Bradley
2. Smart
3. Young
4. Rozier
5. Thomas (simply because I don't think anyone will offer anything of value for thomas)

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2015, 02:29:44 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I think it's easy to see that Turner's usefulness here is done.

Yes, I would agree with this 1000 times.

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2015, 02:30:36 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Bradley is indeed the odd man out, especially since he played poorly in the playoffs, but I fear that Danny won't trade him unless we offer him Anthony Davis in return.

There have been multiple reports - that we learn of after the trade deadline - of some offers for Bradley that Ainge turned down because he "loves and highly values Bradley" .

Yeah.

Avery Bradley, to me, is a smaller Courtney Lee with better on-ball defense.

Nice player.  Hard worker.  Role player.  Loves deep mid-range jumpers.

Ready, willing, and happy to move on from him.

I also worry that Ainge values him too highly and won't move him for anything less than a sterling asset.  I think there's value in simply moving him to create playing time for the other guards on the roster.  Same with Turner.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2015, 02:31:09 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If you go back to when the All-Defensive teams were selected, several Cs players were amazed that AB didn't make either. We, as fans, see what we believe to be AB losing some of his defensive prowess, but the players who play with him see something different.

Smart has a lot more value right now and if we are to trade for an elite level center, expect him (not AB) to be included. I am not saying AB won't be traded, but he isn't the big piece other teams want for the good, young big guys.

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2015, 02:35:26 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
AB is a nice defender but he really only guards one position -- PG -- particularly well due to his size, and in today's league the rules simply don't allow defenders at that position to make a large impact.

Smart is probably best as a shooting guard and his size allows him to switch onto three different positions.  He should be the starting 2 moving forward.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2015, 03:06:58 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232

He got offers centered around a late 1st rounder and an expiring contract (It wasn't reported who made that offer but I'd bet it was Cleveland offering #24 and the Haywood contract).

If I was Ainge, I wouldn't take that either. Bradley is worth more than that.