Author Topic: Are Good Shooters Discounted in Boston?  (Read 2325 times)

Are Good Shooters Discounted in Boston?
« on: July 06, 2015, 08:41:14 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 151
It seems to be the trend over the past couple years to either trade away or let go of the most consistent and/or most reliable shooters on the team.

Who are they?  Courtney Lee, Kris Humphries, Tayshaun Prince and Brandon Bass. 

Yeah, I know there is a rational for Danny getting rid of all of them.  The reason for exiting Courtney Lee?  He wanted cap space and a player named… Jerryd Bayless. (who?)  Courtney shot 44% from 3 point land and 49% from the field during his stay in Beantown.  Plus, he was noted for his good defense.  Where was Danny looking to pick up another player with those numbers? 

Kris Humphries.  He shot the highest percentage on the team that year.  He was arguably the most consistent player on the team.  Why was he let go?  Salary space again?  One poster claimed this allowed the Zeller signing.  I can’t say for sure.  Couldn’t they go over the cap to do the same deal as Washington did with him? 

Tayshaun….he’s old and came down with a hip injury during his last few games here.  We got Gigi and Jeremko in return.  Both players had some good games.  Then again, neither came close to the consistency that Tayshaun provided.  My guess he will end on a Championship team…maybe the Spurs or the Warriors.  (The reality of it all, he can give more in 8 minutes than most other players on this team can in 15-20.)

Bass is gone to make room for Amir Johnson who we know has suspect ankles.  Yes, Amir is an upgrade on the offensive and defensive end. However, if his injuries are an issue, then why not keep Bass for insurance.  He’s a better shooter than Sully and more consistent than either Kelly, Jeremko or Crowder.  If he ends up signing with the Lakers for the same contract as Jeremko, then I really don’t understand letting him go.  I would sign Bass over Jeremko any day even with Amir on the team.    FWIW:  Lakers looking to sign Bass and Hibbert  http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--lakers-to-sign-brandon-bass--could-trade-nick-young-003359688.html

What’s the point of this post?  It’s just to question the value Danny places on players who have top shooting percentages.  You would think having won a Championship with players who were exceptional shooters that he would continue on that path. 

Re: Are Good Shooters Discounted in Boston?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 08:59:15 AM »

Offline Yenohb

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 73
It seems to be the trend over the past couple years to either trade away or let go of the most consistent and/or most reliable shooters on the team.

Who are they?  Courtney Lee, Kris Humphries, Tayshaun Prince and Brandon Bass. 

Yeah, I know there is a rational for Danny getting rid of all of them.  The reason for exiting Courtney Lee?  He wanted cap space and a player named… Jerryd Bayless. (who?)  Courtney shot 44% from 3 point land and 49% from the field during his stay in Beantown.  Plus, he was noted for his good defense.  Where was Danny looking to pick up another player with those numbers? 

Kris Humphries.  He shot the highest percentage on the team that year.  He was arguably the most consistent player on the team.  Why was he let go?  Salary space again?  One poster claimed this allowed the Zeller signing.  I can’t say for sure.  Couldn’t they go over the cap to do the same deal as Washington did with him? 

Tayshaun….he’s old and came down with a hip injury during his last few games here.  We got Gigi and Jeremko in return.  Both players had some good games.  Then again, neither came close to the consistency that Tayshaun provided.  My guess he will end on a Championship team…maybe the Spurs or the Warriors.  (The reality of it all, he can give more in 8 minutes than most other players on this team can in 15-20.)

Bass is gone to make room for Amir Johnson who we know has suspect ankles.  Yes, Amir is an upgrade on the offensive and defensive end. However, if his injuries are an issue, then why not keep Bass for insurance.  He’s a better shooter than Sully and more consistent than either Kelly, Jeremko or Crowder.  If he ends up signing with the Lakers for the same contract as Jeremko, then I really don’t understand letting him go.  I would sign Bass over Jeremko any day even with Amir on the team.    FWIW:  Lakers looking to sign Bass and Hibbert  http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--lakers-to-sign-brandon-bass--could-trade-nick-young-003359688.html

What’s the point of this post?  It’s just to question the value Danny places on players who have top shooting percentages.  You would think having won a Championship with players who were exceptional shooters that he would continue on that path.

Just to put this on perspective for you..

- It is clear as day that currently the Celtics are on rebuilding mode.

- Courtney Lee is 30 yrs old
- Kris Humphries is 30 years old
- Brandon Bass is 30 years old
- Tayshaun Prince is 35 years old

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 09:49:29 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
While I dont necesarily fault Ainge for getting rid of the specific players you mentioned since they are all older, I do think this team and Stevens' style of play needs shooting and skill.

At times it seems Ainge favors athleticism and undersized slashers. But he is not building a team right now. He is collecting assets. None of the roster makes sense really.

Once he had a core in place in 07-08, thats when you saw him target guys with specific skill sets like shooting.

What I fear is that this time around, it may not be as easy. I think teams are building around skill and shooting as opposed to supplementing rosters with shooting if that makes sense. You cant pick these guys up for cheap anymore. The Hunter pick was a good sign.

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 10:16:48 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The guys you mentioned were all veteran role players with no upside remaining.  Guys who were sure to leave for greener pastures once their contracts ended.

Also, while the guys you mentioned could shoot, Bass and Humphries were very mid-range oriented, and neither Prince nor Lee were exactly bombing it from deep all that often.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 10:21:44 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I would have dumped Bradley and kept Courtney Lee.

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 10:22:01 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Can't recall back to 2008 with Ray Allen?   He was a fine shooter.  Kind of puts a hole in the theory from the get go.   Ainge getting rid of him had nothing to do with his shooting.

Ainge favors athleticism and undersized slashers. But he is not building a team right now. He is collecting assets. None of the roster makes sense really.
  Sorry, but this is the GM who selected KO and Sully which are neither.

Ainge goes for guys who can play who don't have a defined NBA position.  AB is too short for SG but can play.   Big Baby was a tweener but he can play some.   Ainge loves tweeners who can play.

Tayshaun….he’s old and came down with a hip injury during his last few games here.  We got Gigi and Jeremko in return.  Both players had some good games.  Then again, neither came close to the consistency that Tayshaun provided.

He was hot and additioning for the next job at the trade deadline.

Prince  PPG 8.4  RPG 4.2   FG% .559    3P% .625  now realize he is a career  37%
Jonas   PPG 7.1  RPG 4.8   FG.43%      3p%   .405 career 34%

Prince went back to DET and posted these numbers
Prince  PPG 7.2  RPG 4.2   FG% .431    3P% .423

This leads to me believe he would have cooled off here.  I feel bad for you if you can recognize a hot streak that amounted to nine games.  Jonas played 4 MPG less than him, too.   Probably would have scored more ( maybe a point) and added 1 more board with that four minutes.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jerebjo01.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/princta01.html

Prince was great at steadying the ranks though.

I do think this team and Stevens' style of play needs shooting and skill.
  Have you played much ball, most styles require putting the ball in the hole and some skill.

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 10:51:20 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
wrong forum post edit :P
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 11:18:23 AM by jbpats »

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 10:57:18 AM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
While I don't agree with the players the original post refrenced I do agree with the overall sentiment. I wish Ainge was more aggressive in FA, make an offer to Harris, go after Lopez or Koufos etc.
hell even take a shot at LA or Monroe. What's the worst that could happen? They sign elsewhere? At least give it a shot, show players we are looking to win, not just sit back and see how things go.

You're completely forgetting the fact that players have the right to choose teams they want to play for. How do you know Danny didn't contact them and they just weren't interested in coming here? Heck, none of the people you listed even wanted to go to LA, the city where people on this board constantly p--- and moan about how they "get all of the FAs because of "palm trees and night clubs."

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 11:17:04 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Can't recall back to 2008 with Ray Allen?   He was a fine shooter.  Kind of puts a hole in the theory from the get go.   Ainge getting rid of him had nothing to do with his shooting.

Ainge favors athleticism and undersized slashers. But he is not building a team right now. He is collecting assets. None of the roster makes sense really.
  Sorry, but this is the GM who selected KO and Sully which are neither.

Ainge goes for guys who can play who don't have a defined NBA position.  AB is too short for SG but can play.   Big Baby was a tweener but he can play some.   Ainge loves tweeners who can play.

Tayshaun….he’s old and came down with a hip injury during his last few games here.  We got Gigi and Jeremko in return.  Both players had some good games.  Then again, neither came close to the consistency that Tayshaun provided.

He was hot and additioning for the next job at the trade deadline.

Prince  PPG 8.4  RPG 4.2   FG% .559    3P% .625  now realize he is a career  37%
Jonas   PPG 7.1  RPG 4.8   FG.43%      3p%   .405 career 34%

Prince went back to DET and posted these numbers
Prince  PPG 7.2  RPG 4.2   FG% .431    3P% .423

This leads to me believe he would have cooled off here.  I feel bad for you if you can recognize a hot streak that amounted to nine games.  Jonas played 4 MPG less than him, too.   Probably would have scored more ( maybe a point) and added 1 more board with that four minutes.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jerebjo01.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/princta01.html

Prince was great at steadying the ranks though.

I do think this team and Stevens' style of play needs shooting and skill.
  Have you played much ball, most styles require putting the ball in the hole and some skill.

Wow talk about losing context with your quotes. Yes Ainge seems to favor athleticism over pure shooting or ball handling. There are certainly exceptions, but looking at his drafts as a whole, thats the impression  I get.

And when i say shooting and skill , i am talking specifically about outside shooting and ball handling/passing. I guess i was a bit vague, but yes I have played basketball. But I have also played and watched enough to understand the difference between a shooting/skill based offense (celtics, spurs, hawks, warriors) and an isolation slash and kick style offense (cleveland, lots of other teams)

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 11:51:59 AM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100
Don't know about that. The Celtics are actually loaded up with some shooting prospects between Young, Hunter, and Thornton. Then you have IT and Bradley who have shot any where between 35-40% from 3PT line in the last two years. They have had Sully shooting and developing his 3PT shot the last two seasons. Smart chucked up a ton of 3s starting in summer league with instructions from the coaching staff most likely. Stevens is usually screaming to get KO to shoot more 3s than he already does.

I'd say good mid-range shooters are the ones who are becoming discounted in the NBA in general. Bass, Prince, and Humphries are all older players who were taking time away from players who the Celtics wanted to develop, and they also have a skill set that is becoming more uncommon by the day.

Remember, right after the PP/KG trades, the only players we had on this team shooting 3s consistently were Bradley, Green, Sully, Olynyk, and Lee. Eventually we were bringing in D-Leaguers like Chris Johnson to spread the floor. The Celtics have gone a pretty long way in restocking their cupboard with shooters and shooting prospects.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 12:00:08 PM by DarkAzcura »