Author Topic: What The Hell Is Ainge Waiting For??  (Read 20575 times)

Re: What The Hell Is Ainge Waiting For??
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2015, 12:39:55 AM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
It's like there is a certain percent of posters here who seem to really think that every year we don't radically improve it's because Ainge is a moron. It's not a video game people, you can't just decided to trade for stars, click a few buttons and in 10 minutes you have them.

I expect bold and creative moves that advance the rebuild in some way.  At least something like the Zeller trade last year. 

Ainge has basically just pressed pause.  He added a couple of large expiring contracts, basically, who will help the team maintain around 40 wins.  Content to be in pretty much the same position a year from now.  I don't see the point in that.

First of all, you get IT4 for the entire year. He changed the dynamic of the team by himself in limited time. Second, Amir is far better than Bass, a huge upgrade there, and is defensively better than any 4 or 5 on the roster. That's going to help a ton and play a big part in the success of the team.

Then you got Smart being more comfortable with a year under his belt, plus your rookie class.

That's not pressing pause to me. That's moving forward.

So aside from a modest upgrade at PF (with a guy who will likely be gone in a year or two), the team will simply rely on development from within.

How is that not standing pat?

Well throw last years record out the window. This will be the first year you have IT4 from the start. Since he hit ground, you played some darn good ball. Same with Crowder. You get him for a full training camp, etc. Now add Amir and the rookies.

It's never standing pat when you've added 4 guys who have an opportunity to change things immediately (Amir, Rozier, Hunter, and Mickey).

If Ainge hits on 1 of those 4 additions, IMO, you're competing for the Atlantic title once again.

« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2015, 12:45:30 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
It's like there is a certain percent of posters here who seem to really think that every year we don't radically improve it's because Ainge is a moron. It's not a video game people, you can't just decided to trade for stars, click a few buttons and in 10 minutes you have them.

I expect bold and creative moves that advance the rebuild in some way.  At least something like the Zeller trade last year. 

Ainge has basically just pressed pause.  He added a couple of large expiring contracts, basically, who will help the team maintain around 40 wins.  Content to be in pretty much the same position a year from now.  I don't see the point in that.

The Celtics have a favorable cap situation and too much young talent to take an intentional step backwards.  In the absence of any good deals to be made, "pressing pause" is much better than making panic moves that lock the Celtics into their current level.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2015, 12:46:46 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
80 million bucks for Reggie Jackson is a fairly strong indicator that FA prices are too high this offseason.

Im pretty glad Danny hasn't been suckered into an overpay or overterm for mid level talent.

So with the cap rumored to be going over 100mil in the next 3 years you think contracts are going to get better and by that I mean cheaper? That's over 30 million more to spend, NBA contracts don't get smaller. This year we stepped sideways and in doing so I think Miami and Indiana passed us thus far.

Even with the cap going up to over 100 million some of these deals are questionable. And that is in 3-4 years time. Also doesn't change the fact that you're committing a high cap percentage to mid-level players, even if the percentage looks a little nicer over the years.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2015, 12:51:44 AM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

The Celtics have a favorable cap situation and too much young talent to take an intentional step backwards.  In the absence of any good deals to be made, "pressing pause" is much better than making panic moves that lock the Celtics into their current level.

I actually prefer the word Coach Stevens used rather than the saying,  'pressing pause'.

Continuity.

This team played great after IT4's arrival. Keep it going. You upgraded Bass with a stronger defender whose versatile and can rebound. Great upgrade. Now see what the rookies can add.

« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2015, 12:59:04 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445

And Celtics homers are famous for being the whiniest bunch of sheep in NBA fandom, bleating at even the mildest of critiques, so what's your point?  Address the issue: The Celtics told us, again, that were were going to get fireworks.

We got nary a firecracker.  Danny's excuse was that the other teams wouldn't trade with him.  Well, if Danny can't get trades done, he's got draft picks and free agency, and that's it.  And the free agents are, apparently, not even wasting the time to grant him an interview.

If you're not trying to tell us that Amir Johnson was the missing piece, then please explain what Ainge is likely to do, and how long it's likely to take, because this is year 3 of the full rebuild, year 4 of the 'retooling', and year 5 since the disastrous Perkins trade, and there's no end to this situation in sight.

Agreed.  Been only a fan since 2008 but the homers, Geez, never a thing wrong in Celtic land ::)

« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2015, 01:14:55 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
As much as the offseason has felt like a dud I'd much rather hold pat than dump long term salary in the Robin Lopez's of the world. I'm not sure what it's going to take to get that first big domino to fall for the team though. The future is very murky.

« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2015, 01:57:47 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Our roster is fine.
Celtic fans are the whiniest fans I have ever seen.

Speak for yourself pal.

Just because I want to see my team do well and improve their roster doesn't make me any more of a whiner than you are.

I am speaking for myself. Who else would I be speaking for?
We have a playoff team, and I believe we will win the division.

« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2015, 02:03:51 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
In hindsight Winslow looks like just some other dude on the court.  No one that would be that go to guy we need.  The only realistic target worth the max was Harris and he seems content in Orlando.  No way I'd pay any of these guys because they'd do little to build on what we have.  Trades can still happen and if not we have alotbof young talent that can gain experience and chemistry while the league around us continues to get  older and teams try to piecemeal a team in hopes of creating chemistry long enough to get to the playoffs.  It's fristrsting not to make a big splash but sometimes it's better just to roll with what brought you to the dance.

« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2015, 02:28:05 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Other than the KG and Ray deals, what other trades has he made that he's "won"?

Comments like this are just silly.

2/19/04- Ainge takes on some fairly minimal salary and ends up getting a future first for his trouble.  That first turns out to be Tony Allen, who had a lot of solid years in Boston

2/8/05 - Ainge flipped the corpse of Jiri Welsch to Cleveland for a future first

6/28/06 - Ainge gives up a heavily protected future pick for the rights to Rajon Rondo, who you may remember was an all-star caliber PG for the C's for roughly half a decade.

2/18-10 - Ainge flipped a bunch of garbage to NYK for Nate Robinson, who played a pretty important part in the 2010 NBA finals run.

7/12/13 - Gave up Pierce and Garnett and got a treasure trove of unprotected draft picks in return.

« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2015, 02:45:50 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

2/19/04- Ainge takes on some fairly minimal salary and ends up getting a future first for his trouble.  That first turns out to be Tony Allen, who had a lot of solid years in Boston

2/8/05 - Ainge flipped the corpse of Jiri Welsch to Cleveland for a future first

6/28/06 - Ainge gives up a heavily protected future pick for the rights to Rajon Rondo, who you may remember was an all-star caliber PG for the C's for roughly half a decade.

2/18-10 - Ainge flipped a bunch of garbage to NYK for Nate Robinson, who played a pretty important part in the 2010 NBA finals run.

7/12/13 - Gave up Pierce and Garnett and got a treasure trove of unprotected draft picks in return.

Skipping over the majority of the garbage mentioned...

If we fleeced the Nets, what do you expect us to gain from it? The more specific, the better.

As far as I know, dude made a huge acquisition in 2007 with a friend. I cannot wait until (prob still another 3 years for ya'll) it becomes clear that that move was a favor, a major over-estimation of his ability, and a very poor benchmark.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2015, 03:22:46 AM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76

If we fleeced the Nets, what do you expect us to gain from it? The more specific, the better.

As far as I know, dude made a huge acquisition in 2007 with a friend. I cannot wait until (prob still another 3 years for ya'll) it becomes clear that that move was a favor, a major over-estimation of his ability, and a very poor benchmark.

And in this you list nothing about his draft successes because the truth is that there are very few of them. The most successful pick that Ainge has had as a GM was Rondo. Besides that he has continually picked mediocre talent or busts. That's why it worries me that we are relying on his drafting to get us better when he has proven over and over again that he is not good at it. I honestly think we will regret not adding a player of Dekker's caliber at 16 as a player that could have played very well in Stevens system as we have seen players like Hayward do before. Imagine if we had landed RJ Hunter and Dekker in the same draft. Smh.

« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2015, 06:27:57 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney

And in this you list nothing about his draft successes because the truth is that there are very few of them.

Why would I?  Gpap specifically mentioned trades in his post, so I responded with a list of good trades Ainge has made.  Reading comprehension.  Live it.  Learn it.  Love it.

The most successful pick that Ainge has had as a GM was Rondo. Besides that he has continually picked mediocre talent or busts.

Ainge picked Al Jefferson with the 15th overall pick in 2004.

« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2015, 06:33:25 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney

What are you talking about? 

First round picks.  Unprotected ones.  Already made that clear in my previous post.  If you want specifics, I really can't do that, because that would involve psychic powers I'm not privvy to.

Do you think the owner of the Wolves would willingly let McHale trade the face of the franchise just so Kevin could hook up his buddy?  This is so silly I'm not going to bother anymore. 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 06:40:56 AM by freshinthehouse »

« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2015, 06:36:34 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
You can't simply go and get stars, you have to wait until they become available. That's what people mean when they use the phrase "until the opportunity arises".

What Danny is doing is put us in a position to be able to strike when a star player becomes available, by having the assets and flexibility necessary for such a deal.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2015, 07:27:03 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
80 million bucks for Reggie Jackson is a fairly strong indicator that FA prices are too high this offseason.

Im pretty glad Danny hasn't been suckered into an overpay or overterm for mid level talent.
This is will look lke a bargain and Bradley's will look like a steal. On the flip side I don't think Jackson is that good.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek