Author Topic: What The Hell Is Ainge Waiting For??  (Read 20616 times)

Re: What The Hell Is Ainge Waiting For??
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2015, 11:05:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
You either step forward or you step back, reassess and start over, or not at all. But you don't make side steps.

Yeah, I think this is precisely why many are so disappointed with the offseason so far.  The team has not taken a step forward or back.  Just maintained the status quo as a team likely to finish squarely in the middle.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2015, 11:07:56 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I don't see how we can't be better this year.  We were a super young team last year and guys are going to have established roles from the start.  Ainge has to establish a solid core of players so we can get a superstar to come here and be able to pay the guys we have already.

We are going to be a strong team this year regardless imo.

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2015, 11:10:51 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2015, 11:13:12 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
What's he waiting for?
He's waiting to see exactly what he has. He's waiting to see what the cards are that he's holding.

He needs to finds out, will Young contribute at all, is Smart a PG or not, is Rozier a player, will Hunter be able to score in the NBA, is Sully a tease or a pro, will Olynyk develop further?

This is the first full year of the rebuild, let some of these assets develop and gain some value in the league, so we can see who we want, and who may be better off being traded.

If he hasn't figure out yet what he has in Sully and Olynyk, then he's clueless.

Sully has already been in the league for 3 years and Olynyk for 2.  Plus, he had a full year to see what he's had in Smart and Young. How many seasons need to go by before Ainge simply realizes "what type of players he has." If he doesn't know the answer to that, then he's a moron.

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2015, 11:13:58 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
You either step forward or you step back, reassess and start over, or not at all. But you don't make side steps.

Yeah, I think this is precisely why many are so disappointed with the offseason so far.  The team has not taken a step forward or back.  Just maintained the status quo as a team likely to finish squarely in the middle.

I would say they've taken a small step forward, not a big one like many hoped, but a small one.

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2015, 11:15:50 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
80 million bucks for Reggie Jackson is a fairly strong indicator that FA prices are too high this offseason.

Im pretty glad Danny hasn't been suckered into an overpay or overterm for mid level talent.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2015, 11:15:56 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Those ideas are side steps. You don't make moves just to make FANS happy you're making moves. Most of those ideas doesn't get us any further than we are. Side steps is what keeps you in mediocrity. 

No moves are sometimes better than making moves just to make moves. You start adding 3 year contracts than things get tight again, and real moves, ones that actually push's us forward are harder to pull off.

The Amir/Jerbeko deals are great because they help with trades with teams that may want to open cap space but have a All Star or even borderline All Star caliber player that wants out. This helps their rebuild by freeing up cap. If DA can't move them then we free up 27 mill in cap in just Amir/Jerbeko/Wallace. Add that to the bump, we can offer a lot more than most teams next season for FA's.

How is that possible? The cap is going up next summer. All 30 teams will have money to spend.

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2015, 11:17:26 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Our roster is fine.
Celtic fans are the whiniest fans I have ever seen.

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2015, 11:21:37 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Our roster is fine.
Celtic fans are the whiniest fans I have ever seen.

Speak for yourself pal.

Just because I want to see my team do well and improve their roster doesn't make me any more of a whiner than you are.

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2015, 11:24:35 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
I would much rather wait for a jaguar XKR then buy a few Hyundai's. I admire the patience and not pigeon holing us into the abyss.

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2015, 11:30:17 PM »

Offline EvilEmpire

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
80 million bucks for Reggie Jackson is a fairly strong indicator that FA prices are too high this offseason.

Im pretty glad Danny hasn't been suckered into an overpay or overterm for mid level talent.

So with the cap rumored to be going over 100mil in the next 3 years you think contracts are going to get better and by that I mean cheaper? That's over 30 million more to spend, NBA contracts don't get smaller. This year we stepped sideways and in doing so I think Miami and Indiana passed us thus far.

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2015, 11:34:33 PM »

Offline sawick48

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
I can still see a David Lee trade to Boston going down before training camp. Lee will be moved somewhere , and it will be for cheap. We don't need to use much of our cache to get him.

that's the piece we're going to add for the Wallace expiring deal? yuck. no thanks.

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2015, 11:36:37 PM »

Offline sawick48

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27

So with the cap rumored to be going over 100mil in the next 3 years you think contracts are going to get better and by that I mean cheaper? That's over 30 million more to spend, NBA contracts don't get smaller. This year we stepped sideways and in doing so I think Miami and Indiana passed us thus far.

they did pass us but the point being made here is that Ainge didn't go overboard and pay for the midlevel free agents for ridiculous big money, long term deals like he would have needed to in order to sign those guys.  and far be it from me to defend Ainge this offseason, i think he's been atrocious.  but the only thing that would have made his summer even worse would be going out and signing a Reggie Jackson type player to a 5/$80M deal

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2015, 11:38:10 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
None of those trades look like good ideas to me.
TP brother

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2015, 11:44:31 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
What's he waiting for?
He's waiting to see exactly what he has. He's waiting to see what the cards are that he's holding.

He needs to finds out, will Young contribute at all, is Smart a PG or not, is Rozier a player, will Hunter be able to score in the NBA, is Sully a tease or a pro, will Olynyk develop further?

This is the first full year of the rebuild, let some of these assets develop and gain some value in the league, so we can see who we want, and who may be better off being traded.

If he hasn't figure out yet what he has in Sully and Olynyk, then he's clueless.

Sully has already been in the league for 3 years and Olynyk for 2.  Plus, he had a full year to see what he's had in Smart and Young. How many seasons need to go by before Ainge simply realizes "what type of players he has." If he doesn't know the answer to that, then he's a moron.

If you had "figured out what you had" in guys like Klay Thompson and Jimmy Butler after their second seasons and traded them like you suggest, you'd be crucified. Jimmy Butler in particular was considered nothing more than "a role player" up until this year.