Author Topic: Reggie Jackson agrees to five-year, $80M extension with the Detroit Pistons  (Read 4508 times)

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Above average starter, maybe.

I like Reggie, but the PG position is very deep.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I'm surprised so many in this thread are surprised by the amount/think he's being overpayed (even under the current cap).

He had already turned down $48m/4yr from the Thunder, and when he was starting this year he was putting up 19/9/5.  Per 36 in Detroit was 20/10/5.

The point/assist/rebound numbers he put up in Detroit have only been done once in the past 10 years, and that was by Chris Paul in '09 playing over 38 minutes per game.

And only 5 guys have done that in the 3 point era, 4 Hall of Famers (eventually) and Rod Strickland.  When you could be on a list that only includes Magic, Payton, Kidd, Chris Paul, and Rod Strickland, I mean I wouldn't call that average.

Maybe he can't do that over a full season, or maybe with a full training camp, some roster stability, and the keys to the team he can.  With what he's shown as a starter (not just this year, but over the last couple in OKC, playoffs too), I don't think that's a terrible contract under the current cap (though risky), let alone the future one.  Eric Bledsoe got a similar contract last year ($70m/5), and I think Jackson has shown more than him.  This contract might a bargain in a couple of years.

Or maybe he was just playing out of his mind in a contract year.  I guess we'll see.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
I'm surprised so many in this thread are surprised by the amount/think he's being overpayed (even under the current cap).

He had already turned down $48m/4yr from the Thunder, and when he was starting this year he was putting up 19/9/5.  Per 36 in Detroit was 20/10/5.

The point/assist/rebound numbers he put up in Detroit have only been done once in the past 10 years, and that was by Chris Paul in '09 playing over 38 minutes per game.

And only 5 guys have done that in the 3 point era, 4 Hall of Famers (eventually) and Rod Strickland.  When you could be on a list that only includes Magic, Payton, Kidd, Chris Paul, and Rod Strickland, I mean I wouldn't call that average.

Maybe he can't do that over a full season, or maybe with a full training camp, some roster stability, and the keys to the team he can.  With what he's shown as a starter (not just this year, but over the last couple in OKC, playoffs too), I don't think that's a terrible contract under the current cap (though risky), let alone the future one.  Eric Bledsoe got a similar contract last year ($70m/5), and I think Jackson has shown more than him.  This contract might a bargain in a couple of years.

Or maybe he was just playing out of his mind in a contract year.  I guess we'll see.

*Applause*

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
My question isn't "why?" It's "why not 5/$70?"

Who else was going to try to sign him away? Why pay more if you don't have to?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
My question isn't "why?" It's "why not 5/$70?"

Who else was going to try to sign him away? Why pay more if you don't have to?

The only thoughts are;

1) Perhaps Sacramento called early in the process which led to negotiation.  A max from SAC would have been 4 years/$68 mil -- maybe they were a viable enough threat at one point during the process.

2) They went down the hardline negotiation road with Monroe last year, and he walked and DET got nothing.

3) Related to 2) -- they just traded for Jackson, albeit at the not huge cost of two 2nds and Kyle Singler, and didn't want to lose him for nothing next year.  It's easy to talk yourself into overpaying after already having made an investment, because sunk costs are hard to ignore, even if they are already indeed sunk.

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Even with the cap jump it still feels like an overpay for a a largely unproven guy.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Online hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
They WAY overpaid for a backup quality guard. I am happy they did though.