Author Topic: Reggie Jackson agrees to five-year, $80M extension with the Detroit Pistons  (Read 4503 times)

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA
Restricted free agent guard Reggie Jackson has agreed to a five-year, $80M extension with the Detroit Pistons, league sources tell Yahoo.

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Another good move by Detroit. I'm scared of them.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Wow. Was Detroit bidding against itself here? Seems about $10 mil too high.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Overpaying much?

He's not a three point shooter and doesn't get to the line.

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
16 million a year for 5 years is a lot for a guy like Reggie Jackson, even with the cap going up imo. I think this summer a lot of teams are unwisely throwing money around to mediocre players with the thought that the cap going up makes everything ok. Ainge was smart enough to keep Jerebko and Johnson's deals 1 year with a team option for year 2, thus basically giving us two good sized expiring contracts to use this season in trades.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Did you guys expected any less? I mean, take a look around the market, and then get back to me.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Wow. Was Detroit bidding against itself here? Seems about $10 mil too high.

Probably was, although perhaps getting a 5th year at the current cap rates was worth spending more upfront.  Cap could be well over $100 million in the last two years of that deal.

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Mavs could go after brandon jennings. I know there linked to lin .  I see a jennings trade soon

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
So $16 million in $108 million cap is equivalent to $9.35 million in a $63 million cap.

$9.35 million sounds a good figure for Reggie Jackson.

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Mavs could go after brandon jennings. I know there linked to lin .  I see a jennings trade soon
Oh, I'd like that. Dallas would be terrific for Brandon Jennings. Hard to find a better pick and roll duo than Dirk Nowitzki and DeAndre Jordan. Heaven for a PG. Secondary ball-handling with Parsons and hopefully Wes Matthews when he is back healthy.

Great place for Jennings to get his career back on track.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Oh, I'd like that. Dallas would be terrific for Brandon Jennings. Hard to find a better pick and roll duo than Dirk Nowitzki and DeAndre Jordan. Heaven for a PG. Secondary ball-handling with Parsons and hopefully Wes Matthews when he is back healthy.

His career was already back on track prior to his Achilles injury.  That said, I'm not sure the Mavs should really pin their season's hopes on two players recovering from Achilles injuries... seems like a good way to get burned.  But really, it's probably moot, as the Mavs literally don't have the salaries to match for Jennings unless they send out Devin Harris.  Their only two expirings are Raymond Felton and Dwight Powell.  Combining those two would let the Mavs take back $8.077 million, about $250k less than Jennings' contract.  Their only other players under contract now (and thus able to be traded in the offseason) are Parsons, Nowitzki, and the aforementioned Harris, who is owed about $4.5 million guaranteed next season.

Offline Who

• James Naismith

His career was already back on track prior to his Achilles injury.  That said, I'm not sure the Mavs should really pin their season's hopes on two players recovering from Achilles injuries... seems like a good way to get burned.  But really, it's probably moot, as the Mavs literally don't have the salaries to match for Jennings unless they send out Devin Harris.  Their only two expirings are Raymond Felton and Dwight Powell.  Combining those two would let the Mavs take back $8.077 million, about $250k less than Jennings' contract.  Their only other players under contract now (and thus able to be traded in the offseason) are Parsons, Nowitzki, and the aforementioned Harris, who is owed about $4.5 million guaranteed next season.

I did not realize it was an achilles injury. I'd go with Jeremy Lin over B.Jennings then.

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
So $16 million in $108 million cap is equivalent to $9.35 million in a $63 million cap.

$9.35 million sounds a good figure for Reggie Jackson.

That $108 million cap is two full seasons away and when it hits, player salary demands are immediately going up as well. It very well may be that salary demands go up disproportionately because there will be more cap room than available players.  For example, there could be a lot of max offers to non-max restricted free agents that could force teams to use up much of their new cap space.

I'm not saying this is a bad deal for Jackson but I suspect the exploding cap won't fix everything.

Mike

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Has a BC guy ever gotten so much money?  Good for him.

I guess $15-18 million is the new going rate for solid starters.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
solid starters.

"I've probably grown into one of the biggest Jackson fans. Those final 20 games sold me."

https://twitter.com/PistonPowered/status/617882663957893121

"When the Pistons were at their most spacious — the 11 games sans Greg Monroe — Reggie Jackson blew up: (image in link)"

https://twitter.com/PistonPowered/status/617884238935945216/photo/1

"Greg Monroe got hurt, Pistons got some spacing, Reggie Jackson took off and they went 7-4 with wins over MEM, BOS, CHI, MIA, ATL, TOR + ORL."

https://twitter.com/PistonPowered/status/617884903716331521

Reggie Jackson will be much more than a solid starter this season.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/