Author Topic: Lou Williams agrees to three-year, $21M deal with the Los Angeles Lakers  (Read 4191 times)

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I'm still salty that he won 6th man, totally undeserving.

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
That sucks I really like Lou I don't want him wearing that lame purple.  :-X

Williams, Bryant, Young, and Russell
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2015, 05:54:07 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Four players who need the ball to succeed.

I really think this could hurt Russell's development - a lot.

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I thought Danny was the only one collecting guards on their roster ;D

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I think this is absolutely stupid.

Clarkson and Russell would need minutes to develop, and Clarkson is showing promise. They still have Kobe and Swaggy P on that roster. So why add another guard? Another gunner might I add?

LOL-kers.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Couple this signing with the probability of Hibbert's acquisition, and LA seems to be piecing themselves together.

I'd venture a guess that "IF" they could have that number 2 pick back Jalil would be in Purple and Gold, though. They were gambling on having a FA Big sign with them and the Bright Lights of LA, which fell through for them, THANKFULLY ;D.

I was reading SS & R and they are a hurting fanbase right now. The reality of a (likely) Good-Old fashioned rebuild is becoming reality for them.

Welcome to the Real World, Laker Fans.

I even saw one poster make mention of the fact that the last time they drafted a guard THIS high, it turned out to be Magic Johnson.

OK.

DeAngelo will be great, I think, but he won't be playing Center on their playoff team any time soon.

But anyways LW is a nice bandaid to have in Purple and Gold. Too bad the Lakers need an Ace Bandage and triage right now.

Will absolutely LOVE to see them go through a normal rebuild. BOS is in process of that, but at least the light at the end of our tunnel is NOT a train.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I think this is absolutely stupid.

Clarkson and Russell would need minutes to develop, and Clarkson is showing promise. They still have Kobe and Swaggy P on that roster. So why add another guard? Another gunner might I add?

LOL-kers.

I think they are going to shop Swaggy P.  From the forums I ve spied at .....hee hee hee

Lakers are NOT a development type of team

The pressure is too great to allow them to wait 4-8 years to rebuild

They will dump Randle and Clarkson , Swaggie , all the rest to trade for established talent .

They realize , Kobe days are nearly over, and they Need stars ........even if they are suck nothing stars ....LA needs " NAME Power" to continue to get media hype and front page sports news attention....

It all about TV contracts ,Glamor , media circus ......stars to promote , kiss their hine ends , etc

No way the Lakers WAIT on players and draft talent to develope

They tank for trade bait .

Offline GreenGoggles

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 76
I find it hilarious people are worried about the development of the Laker's guards more than our own!! How about we concentrate on getting Smart / Young more minutes?? Why do we need 8 guards on the roster.

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Ouch. Big loss for Toronto.

But BIG WIN for BOS.

Anything to hurt a division opponent next season is HUGE WIN for us.

I have a feeling that DA may be on the phones with Masai Ujiri sometime next season.

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
I find it hilarious people are worried about the development of the Laker's guards more than our own!! How about we concentrate on getting Smart / Young more minutes?? Why do we need 8 guards on the roster.
Because Rozier might actually be pretty good. He reminds me of a smaller and a bit out of control version of Wade.

And Isaiah Thomas has incredible value. If Smart develops faster then expected, then IT4 could be part of a trade package.

James Young is more of a small forward. He just has to beef up which it sounds like he may have started.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
http://www.basketballinsiders.com/qa-lou-williams-on-joining-lakers-no-offer-from-raptors/

Basketball Insiders: How did this deal come together? When did the Lakers start showing interest in you?

Lou Williams: “Well, they were one of the first teams to reach out to me once free agency began and they just started to touch base with us. At that point, we weren’t sure what direction we were heading in because we wanted to see if [returning to] Toronto was going to work out. Then, yesterday, the talks got a little bit more serious and it just looked like a good opportunity for me to take. It really only took, like, five minutes to get done once we entered serious talks.”

Basketball Insiders: This is a great opportunity for you, but you’re also leaving a situation in Toronto where you were successful, won Sixth Man of the Year and got name-dropped in Drake songs (laughs). Was it tough to move on from the Raptors and leave that organization?

Lou Williams: “Just to speak candidly, it caught me by surprise that we didn’t get something done. I made it clear that I wanted to be there and I thought, with the type of year that I had, the feeling would be mutual. Unfortunately, it wasn’t. I think they wanted to go in a different direction and become more of a defensive-minded team. With the way that the playoffs ended, I think it left a sour taste in management’s mouth and they went out and picked up defensive players. They got DeMarre [Carroll], they got Cory Joseph, they got [Bismack] Biyombo – guys who they feel like can help them on the defensive end. They told me, basically, that I could walk. That was unfortunate, but it’ll work out for both sides. They got a guy who is from Toronto, Canada who will replace me in Cory and now I have an opportunity to continue my career as well, so it worked out for everybody.”

Basketball Insiders: So just to be clear, they didn’t make you an offer?

Lou Williams: “No.”

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Clarkson and Russell are both 6'5" and frankly neither is really a NBA PG level ball handler.  They are pure combo guards, but given their size will have no problem guarding most SG's on a nightly basis so can play together (or with Kobe) or with a smaller guy like Lou Williams. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I wonder with Kobe aging and slowing and the league as a whole seeming to go towards even more small ball whether the Lakers plan to play Kobe quite a bit (if not primarily) at the 3.  This would account for their moves and allow them to maximize talent. 

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I wonder with Kobe aging and slowing and the league as a whole seeming to go towards even more small ball whether the Lakers plan to play Kobe quite a bit (if not primarily) at the 3.  This would account for their moves and allow them to maximize talent.

Who really cares about the Lakers and why do we have this thread?

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
looking like the same 'pretend we are not tanking but really tank' thing they did last year. 

they are going to end up letting their two most competitive players (Davis & Wes J) walk and leaving their roster a complete mis-matched mess. 

Clarkson
Russell/Young
Williams
Kobe
Hibert/Randle

I have a sneaky suspicion that Russell was suppose go to Sac -- but now that philly salary dump has caused Sac to change course and keep DMC.