Author Topic: Cavs interested in trading Haywood + Varejao for Joe Johnson?  (Read 15393 times)

Re: Cavs interested in trading Haywood + Varejao for Joe Johnson?
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2015, 04:34:21 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
As it makes sense for the Cavs, why would Brooklyn take on Varejao's contract as they all ready have Lopez. I doubt Lebron would care much for them trading Andy, I think he acknowledges that there is a salary cap and all of those max contracts he demanded needs to add up somehow.

It would save them $15 million in salart, plus even more in luxury tax.  It would have to be a purely monetary move
that would be the only reason I see them doing that trade for, I'm all for it, the worse Brooklyn is, the better pick Boston gets.

It could also be addition by subtraction on Brooklyn's part because maybe they don't want to watch the ISO Joe show and then play no defense. It may not only improve Cleveland but it could improve Brooklyn.

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2015, 04:34:41 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
would be great for us if it happened.

Yes, that would make BKN one injury away from a legit freefall.

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2015, 04:36:13 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Is Brooklyn willing to gift wrap us a lottery pick in order to save money?  They lose so much offensively in that deal.

Mike

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2015, 04:36:27 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
As it makes sense for the Cavs, why would Brooklyn take on Varejao's contract as they all ready have Lopez. I doubt Lebron would care much for them trading Andy, I think he acknowledges that there is a salary cap and all of those max contracts he demanded needs to add up somehow.

It would save them $15 million in salart, plus even more in luxury tax.  It would have to be a purely monetary move
that would be the only reason I see them doing that trade for, I'm all for it, the worse Brooklyn is, the better pick Boston gets.

It could also be addition by subtraction on Brooklyn's part because maybe they don't want to watch the ISO Joe show and then play no defense. It may not only improve Cleveland but it could improve Brooklyn.

Who would replace Johnson in the starting lineup?

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2015, 04:37:20 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't think JJ helps Cleveland that much. Not as a starter. He is too slow to be at the SG position full time. Cleveland are better off with Shumpert starting and JJ in a bench role but I doubt that will happen.

It was their defensive energy led by Thompson and Shumpert that in addition to LeBron carried Cleveland to the Finals. They would well served not to forget that.

Talent is talent.  Giving J.R. Smith's role to Joe Johnson, and Mike Miller's offensive role to J.R. Smith, makes that team much deeper and better, in my opinion.  They'll still be an elite offensive team with a sprinkling of defensive role players.  If they need to shut down teams down the stretch, they could go to a lineup of Thompson / West / Lebron / Shumpert / Delly, while having much stronger offensive options if they needed to play catch up.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2015, 04:42:48 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Mozgov / Thompson
Love / West
Lebron / Smith
Johnson / Shumpert
Irving / Delladoeva

The Cavs would still have to find a backup PG (Mo Williams?), but that team would be the heavy favorite against anybody, including San Antonio and Golden State.
wow..that team can win 70 games easily if healthy
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2015, 04:43:33 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

I don't think the Nets have enough offense to make up for trading away JJ. Lopez would have to pick up more of the load, which is fine if he's healthy, but they wouldn't have a whole lot of spacing between Lopez, Young, and bench guys like RHJ
I'm bitter.

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2015, 04:43:40 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

Was thinking the same thing. Dude is 35 and slowing down big time. He's only useful in half court sets with the shot clock winding down.

Cavs Looking to Acquire Joe Johnson
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2015, 04:43:48 PM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 22
It looks like the Cavs are looking to acquire Joe Johnson in a package centered around Haywood's
unguaranteed 10 mil contract & Varaejo (which may be why the Cavs want to land David West all of a sudden) who will make close to 10 million next season. I'm not sure what to think since losing johnson would make the Nets worse, but they'd also get Varaejo who is good when healthy, and whom they could also just trade for another asset... I also believe Hollis-Jefferson was a nice pick up/steal for the Nets.

What do you guys think? What kind of difference could this have on our unprotected 2016 Nets pick if it happens?

Source: ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13202763/cleveland-cavaliers-interested-joe-johnson-brooklyn-nets)

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2015, 04:57:42 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
This could push the Cavs payroll north of $120 million this season.  That's like LA Dodgers territory for basketball.

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2015, 05:00:15 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
This would make the Nets worse next year, so i'm completely on board.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

ESPN: Cavs considering trading for Joe Johnson
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2015, 05:04:27 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
The Cleveland Cavaliers are considering trading for Brooklyn Nets star Joe Johnson with their Brendan Haywood contract chip, sources told ESPN.com.

Haywood has a $10.5 million nonguaranteed contract if waived before Aug. 1, an asset that has gained value over the last several days as other teams use up their cap space. The Cavs have been looking for perimeter help, and Johnson would certainly provide a major boost as an additional scoring and shooting option.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13202763/cleveland-cavaliers-interested-joe-johnson-brooklyn-nets

Makes sense if they are dumping Varejao

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2015, 05:06:54 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
We need this trade to go down, followed by the annual Brook Lopez injury.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2015, 05:08:44 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Mozgov / Thompson
Love / West
Lebron / Smith
Johnson / Shumpert
Irving / Delladoeva

The Cavs would still have to find a backup PG (Mo Williams?), but that team would be the heavy favorite against anybody, including San Antonio and Golden State.
they may be favorites, but i don't see them getting beyond the spurs if healthy

I could be terribly, terribly wrong though, ha
I trust Danny Ainge

Re: Cavs looking to acquire Joe Johnson from Nets
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2015, 05:11:16 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Roy H. beat me to it, sorry to force the merge.

Make that three merges heh