Author Topic: Klynyk vs. Freak  (Read 7348 times)

Re: Klynyk vs. Freak
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2015, 10:21:10 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
For all the negative things you can say about Kelly, if you are a person who likes RPM, he rates as a pretty valuable player by that metric.  Not sure what to make of that myself.

What is RPM?

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2015, 10:29:46 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Giannis has literally no ceiling on defense.

He can guard every position and can anchor a championship defense.

So yes, KO is a tick ahead of the Freak in terms of offense right now.  But Im also fairly positive at best he will be a slightly below average defensive player.

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2015, 10:30:53 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
What is RPM?

Real plus minus

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10740818/introducing-real-plus-minus

For all the negative things you can say about Kelly, if you are a person who likes RPM, he rates as a pretty valuable player by that metric.  Not sure what to make of that myself.

He can do a lot of things good.  He got a 1.71 ORPM   and a 1.71 DRPM means he is solid and does not hurt the team that much when he is out there.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/RPM

So no negatives but most of the stars have a four or five on one of the sides.  LeBron has a six.

Ibaka also got a 3.46 to KO 3.5 and Kyrie Irving got a 3.4 and Blake G a 3.35 that ought to show you right there that RPM is nothing to predict a star power.   All three of those guys are better than KO by a mile.

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2015, 11:32:08 AM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
I don't think KO's defense is that bad. Generally stays in front of his man, knows when to switch, takes charges, gets his hands in the passing lane.

His biggest problems (other than the previously mentioned offensive confidence; Shoot the ball!) are his prodigious fouling problems and his utter inability to box out (Kevin Love says hi). Watch KO on any free throw attempt; he turns around and just pushes his man with two outstretched arms.

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2015, 11:43:08 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Klynyk had one of the highest foul rates in the league last year. If he could move his feet and contest without fouling, even if he doesn't become a defensive stopper, then that would be a huge step forward.

Anyone who plays basketball knows that getting fouls called on you on defense hurts your rhythm on offense. I really think that his offense would get more consistent and efficient if he could stop fouling on the other side of the ball.

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2015, 12:04:02 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't think KO's defense is that bad. Generally stays in front of his man, knows when to switch, takes charges, gets his hands in the passing lane.

He does try and he has some basketball IQ.   But as I have said his athletic base is poor, when a guy has to foul a guy because he is quicker than him, these fouls happen.

I like him a lot better than Sully on D.   Sully is a lazy defender unless a rebound is going his way, then he becomes a man of action.

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2015, 12:10:12 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
If it were easy, everybody would do it.  Just like waiting for Rondo to learn how to shoot.
Tough topic. Could not imagine how excited we'd all be if we had drafted Giannis. I am fearful Olynyk doesn't improve mitch more.  Every time I get bullish about him he regresses.

Kelly needs to do a lot this year.
Frankly, I don't think people need to worry or fear too much when it comes to KO.  I think he pretty much is what he is and dont see much changing.  So people just need to accept that.
If it were easy, everybody would do it.  Just like waiting for Rondo to learn how to shoot.

Either way, we'll both find out soon enough.

i hope to god that olynyk (or any competitor) doesn't think the way you do. his problem is confidence, and that is something that can certainly be improved.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 12:50:09 PM by droopdog7 »

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2015, 12:42:35 PM »

Offline banty19

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 25
Like others have mentioned, the biggest difference is defense. The Greek Freak could potentially be a defensive player of the year candidate. The Klynyk is glacier slow and often gets in quick foul trouble.

Check out these two comparisons of Giannis: http://nbacompare.com/players-like/43/giannis-antetokounmpo

The first, using only box-score data isn't overwhelming. Box score stats don't always show defense.

The second, using player tracking data, includes defensive beasts like Kidd-Gilchrist, Josh Smith, Jimmy Butler, etc.

Oh, and Giannis turns 21 in December. To put that into perspective, Marcus Smart turned 21 in March.

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2015, 12:44:46 PM »

Offline banty19

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 25

What is RPM?

Here's a primer on it: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10740818/introducing-real-plus-minus

And I've done some testing with RPM and it correlates very strongly with team success. A combo of RPM and Basketball Reference's VORP are the two best I've found at predicting games.