Author Topic: Klynyk vs. Freak  (Read 7346 times)

Klynyk vs. Freak
« on: July 05, 2015, 01:17:42 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Let me start by saying I realize that Giannis Antetokounmpo is a considerably more valuable prospect than Kelly Olynyk.  He's much younger, has  more potential for improvement, and is, as his nickname points out, an athletic freak.

That said, I found a glance at these two players' numbers per 36 minutes from last season to be fairly interesting:

Giannis:

PP36:14.6, RP36: 7.7, AP36: 2.9, SP36: 1.0: BP36: 1.2

Kelly:

PP36: 16.6, RP36: 7.7, AP36: 2.8, SP36: 1.6, BP36: 1.0

Kelly scored a little more, but the rest of their per 36 numbers are eerily similar.  It'll be interesting to continue to watch and see how both of these guys develop. 

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Re: Klynyk vs. Freak
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 01:22:59 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
They're about as good as each other right now. It's just that one of them has massive upside; the other doesn't.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 01:29:18 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
They're about as good as each other right now. It's just that one of them has massive upside; the other doesn't.

I think Kelly has massive upside, but his upside lies in his ability to develop a ruthless basketball mindset, while Giannis' upside lies in his willingness to practice 500-1000 jumpers a day every offseason. The latter is far more doable/likely than the former.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 01:36:05 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

I think Kelly has massive upside, but his upside lies in his ability to develop a ruthless basketball mindset, while Giannis' upside lies in his willingness to practice 500-1000 jumpers a day every offseason. The latter is far more doable/likely than the former.

I kinda agree with this assessment. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 01:45:50 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Of course I would rather have Giannis than Olynyk.

But I do think G is overrated - at least right now. People talk about him like he is better than every player on our team combined, but there are no guarantees he gets any better than he is right now.

I would actually not like to be in Milwaukee's shoes with Giannis - they could probably trade him and get a pretty good package, but if he ever developed into a star, then that would be a massive mistake. Conversely, if they hold on to him and he continues to just be 'okay', then they will probably regret not trading him.

This happens all the time - see Greg Monroe as an example of somebody the Pistons could have sold very high on a couple of years ago. Now they are left with nothing.

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 01:48:27 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

I kinda agree with this assessment.

Yep--sounds pretty fair. KO could be a killer player, but the longer he hesitates, the less it looks like he'll reach that potential. Still, he's young for a 7-footer, as they generally take more time to develop.

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 01:50:25 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Proof that statistics are liars when they want to be. Who actually played 36 minutes?

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 01:51:25 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Let me start by saying I realize that Giannis Antetokounmpo is a considerably more valuable prospect than Kelly Olynyk.  He's much younger, has  more potential for improvement, and is, as his nickname points out, an athletic freak.

That said, I found a glance at these two players' numbers per 36 minutes from last season to be fairly interesting:

Giannis:

Kelly:

Kelly scored a little more, but the rest of their per 36 numbers are eerily similar.  It'll be interesting to continue to watch and see how both of these guys develop.

KO is IMO undervalued on this board. E.g., his D is better than people realize, and his offensive efficiency and glue-type contributions are already valuable. Yet, we all see how he could be quite a bit better. I wonder how he'll look paired with Johnson and Mickey, since they're both very complementary to his skills.

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 01:59:32 PM »

Offline zubi.anaba

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
Not only does Giannis have much greater upside but as of today, no good NBA PO team is playing KO more than 20mins a game due to his atrocious defense. Not the same for Giannis so per 36mins stats are meaningless in that context

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 01:59:40 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

Giannis:

Kelly:

KO is IMO undervalued on this board. E.g., his D is better than people realize, and his offensive efficiency and glue-type contributions are already valuable. Yet, we all see how he could be quite a bit better. I wonder how he'll look paired with Johnson and Mickey, since they're both very complementary to his skills.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Amir Johnson and Kelly Olynyk play together.  Having a defender of Johnson's caliber to pair with Kelly up front could really help him to be able to get bigger minutes to show his offensive worth.

Don't know enough about Mickey to have any opinion on whether or not he'll be able to contribute right away.

Based on the way the roster looks right now, my guess is it will be tough for the rookies to get consistent minutes. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 02:25:27 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

But I do think G is overrated - at least right now. People talk about him like he is better than every player on our team combined, but there are no guarantees he gets any better than he is right now.

I would actually not like to be in Milwaukee's shoes with Giannis - they could probably trade him and get a pretty good package, but if he ever developed into a star, then that would be a massive mistake. Conversely, if they hold on to him and he continues to just be 'okay', then they will probably regret not trading him.

This happens all the time - see Greg Monroe as an example of somebody the Pistons could have sold very high on a couple of years ago. Now they are left with nothing.

What about the memories????

TP, I agree with all of this 100%, but I would love to have him over KO.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 02:32:01 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

I would love to be in Milwaukee's shoes.  Giannis at 20 is already an established starter.  There is no reason to believe he won't continue to improve.  Olynyk at 24 hasn't shown himself to be anything more than a decent bench player. 

I don't know why you bring up Monroe.  If the Pistons had offered a max extension or close to it, Monroe would still be a Piston.  The Bucks won't make that mistake with Giannis. 

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2015, 02:52:54 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Olynyk needs to work on his confidence. When he plays unsure, he just looks so awkward. But when he's feeling it, and playing in his flow that he gets, he plays pretty good.

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2015, 02:57:52 PM »

Offline Mass_1081

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
I think Giannis is overrate by a lot, he has a chance to be a all star but people talk him up as a franchise player. That being said he has shown talent on both sides of the ball and has a lot of upside. Kelly has the skill to be a good offensive player, but still is very timid, I'm not going to get into his defense. Giannis and Schroeder went right after Kelly in the draft, both had more upside going into the draft, Kelly was the safer pick. I think drafting Rosier was a sign that Ainge doesn't want to make the same mistake, I didn't like the pick, but Rosier has more upside than say Portis or Decker.

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2015, 03:04:42 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Tough topic. Could not imagine how excited we'd all be if we had drafted Giannis. I am fearful Olynyk doesn't improve mitch more.  Every time I get bullish about him he regresses.

Kelly needs to do a lot this year.