Author Topic: Kosta Koufos agrees to four-year, $33M deal with the Sacramento Kings  (Read 11763 times)

Re: Kosta Koufos agrees to four-year, $33M deal with the Sacramento Kings
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2015, 06:51:12 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't understand the criticism of the move.  They got a quality player at what has become a very reasonable price.  $8.25 million is chump change in this market. 

I mean, ask yourself:  would you rather have Koufos, or Jonas Jerebko + $3 million?  The Kings got much better value.

The Kings still need a PF who can shoot, and a backup SF.  Overall, though, I like their free agent signings, even if I hated the trade.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2015, 07:02:34 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Why did they sign Koufos? Why did Koufos sign there?

Sacramento already have Cousins and WCS. Both are more talented than Koufos.
Koufos said he wanted a starting spot. He is not getting that in Sacramento.

Either
(1) Sacramento is preparing to trade Cousins and wanted another center on the books, or,
(2) Koufos sold out for the money

I don't see how this makes sense otherwise.

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2015, 07:05:37 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Either
(1) Sacramento is preparing to trade Cousins and wanted another center on the books, or,

Money + familiarity with George Karl + a chance to start if WCS isn't ready.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2015, 08:08:41 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

I mean, ask yourself:  would you rather have Koufos, or Jonas Jerebko + $3 million?  The Kings got much better value.

No unless his deal is non-guaranteed next summer. Ainge signed JJ (and Johnson) just as much for the ability to trade them next summer to the Thunder in an S&T for Durant as anything else.

It's a star league. As much as we like to debate the little details, one of the things I like about Ainge is that he gets this issue, and plans accordingly.

Im not knocking the KK signing really -- just defending the how and why of the JJ deal. It's a win-win.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2015, 08:32:39 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

No unless his deal is non-guaranteed next summer. Ainge signed JJ (and Johnson) just as much for the ability to trade them next summer to the Thunder in an S&T for Durant as anything else.

It's a star league. As much as we like to debate the little details, one of the things I like about Ainge is that he gets this issue, and plans accordingly.

Im not knocking the KK signing really -- just defending the how and why of the JJ deal. It's a win-win.

Yeah - I mean I absolutely share your sentiments about Johnson and Jerebko, Roy. Even though they are one year deals, Ainge didn't 'need' to spend the money. Having the flexibility to do a deal like the Thornton/Zeller/1st trade last year seems much more up Ainge's alley.

But (unlike Koufos and so many others), they are just one year deals and we will most likely be at the same exact point next year that we were at the beginning of this year's FA period. Johnson and Jerebko are guys who have absolutely no upside, but I imagine Ainge wants to keep this team relevant and relatively successful so that future free agents can see that we are building on something.

I don't necessarily agree with this method, but I am a fan of the Celtics and just have to hope for the best.

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2015, 08:43:26 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I don't understand the criticism of the move.  They got a quality player at what has become a very reasonable price.  $8.25 million is chump change in this market. 

The Kings still need a PF who can shoot, and a backup SF.  Overall, though, I like their free agent signings, even if I hated the trade.

I think the issue is that they've got DMC and WCS and made a 3 to 4 year commitment to a big who's averaged over 7 pts, 6 rebs, and .9 blks a game just one time in his career.

You can argue that if you're the Kings, you need to add any talent you can.  You can also argue that bad teams should never make long term deals with career bench guys.

Mike

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2015, 09:13:21 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

It is because they hoped we would get him.  So they do not like the move.   People transfer their anger to the other team.

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2015, 09:40:00 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

I think the issue is that they've got DMC and WCS and made a 3 to 4 year commitment to a big who's averaged over 7 pts, 6 rebs, and .9 blks a game just one time in his career.

You can argue that if you're the Kings, you need to add any talent you can.  You can also argue that bad teams should never make long term deals with career bench guys.

Mike
WCS is an unproven rookie.  It is unrealistic to expect him to start right away.  Koufos' contract is reasonable and will be even more so as the cap jumps 40mil over the next two years.  It is not like they have good backup bigs on their team already.  The Kings tried to attract some better free agents (Mathews, Ellis, Harris, ...) but couldn't.  Their best chance to get back to relevancy is to push hard for the playoffs. With the Blazers out of it and the Clips without a center, the Kings have an outside shot to do so.     

« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2015, 10:19:24 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Either

So you're discounting Cousins & WCS at the 4?

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2015, 10:25:51 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

Either

I don't like either player at the 4.

I like the WCS at the 4 the best. At least he has the quickness and defensive skills away from the basket to defend the position.

« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2015, 10:28:23 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Either

I don't like either player at the 4.

Whether you like it or not is still a potential reason behind the move, so it needs to be on the table.

Personally, very curious to see it.

« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2015, 10:29:57 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Maybe they figure there is no way to match up with a team like the Warriors going small, they are going the opposite way and plan to big (much like Memphis or SA)

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2015, 10:45:18 AM »

Offline FreddieJ

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 7
WCS is a NBA 4. He said it. It's what he played in school. He can stretch the floor and has a jumper as well, look at his pre-draft stuff on Draft Express

Koufos signs with Kings?
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2015, 10:49:01 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I didn't know this, I'm sorry if I'm behind. This makes 3 center the Kings have.

He signed 4 years 33 million.

I guess we're not interested in centers. We like power forwards playing center.

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2015, 12:01:09 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Cousins wants to play power forward. They signed Rondo to a one year deal...so...
The Kings want to win now and George Karl wants the coaching wins record.
WCS could be a great defensive player some day but he's not providing a tonne of impact as a rookie.

Rondo
Mclemore
Gay
Cousins
Koufos

is a good start with
collison
cauley stein
+whoever else they sign off the bench.

would be interesting to see if they'd do something to take Olynyk or Bradley off our hands to sure up their roster.
Bradley for Mclemore somehow?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.