Author Topic: This looks like a lotto squad to me  (Read 36593 times)

Re: This looks like a lotto squad to me
« Reply #210 on: July 06, 2015, 08:13:14 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

You make it seem so official and scientific when you call it a guideline and give it a tiered breakdown.

Nicely done.

:P

The whole point -- which I think I made clear -- is that it's not scientific or rigid.  I think it's silly to talk about ranking these teams as if we can predict exactly where they'll end up.  But I do believe in making predictions based on tiers, to give a general idea of where a team is likely to end up.

Of course, every year a handful of teams surprise one way or another due to injuries, precipitous decline of key players, or breakout young guys.

The bottom line is that the Celts are going to be in the mix, but there are a lot of similar or slightly better teams in the Eastern Conference, so there's a really wide range of possible outcomes, from 6th seed to one of the bottom 6 or 7 records in the league.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #211 on: July 06, 2015, 08:28:49 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Philly has some good talented young players who are going to mature. Plus they have some trade pieces to make their team better. As constructed I think they will only win around 30 games but I think they will make a big trade that will help them.

As for NJ, they still have Lopez, Johnson and Williams. Young will help them out as well, in a weak East I still think they have the veteran talent to compete for the 8th seed. They won 38 I think last season and their team was injured half of it. Of course if they aren't healthy they may be cellar dwellers.

I don't understand why people think this. Lopez played in 72 games last season, Joe Johnson 80, Deron Williams 68 and Jarret Jack 80. For players at their age and injury histories this is absolutely the best you could expect from them. It is rather unlikely those guys play in that many games next year.   

« Reply #212 on: July 06, 2015, 08:30:06 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522

You make it seem so official and scientific when you call it a guideline and give it a tiered breakdown.

Nicely done.

The whole point -- which I think I made clear -- is that it's not scientific or rigid.  I think it's silly to talk about ranking these teams as if we can predict exactly where they'll end up.  But I do believe in making predictions based on tiers, to give a general idea of where a team is likely to end up.

Of course, every year a handful of teams surprise one way or another due to injuries, precipitous decline of key players, or breakout young guys.

The bottom line is that the Celts are going to be in the mix, but there are a lot of similar or slightly better teams in the Eastern Conference, so there's a really wide range of possible outcomes, from 6th seed to one of the bottom 6 or 7 records in the league.

Geez -- I thought your breakdown was pretty good.  I didn't understand the apparent snarkiness either.

« Reply #213 on: July 06, 2015, 08:34:46 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Nicely done.

Geez -- I thought your breakdown was pretty good.  I didn't understand the apparent snarkiness either.

It was fine.  I was just sarcastically pointing out that it's just his personal opinion, and as such isn't really worth all that much as an argument.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #214 on: July 06, 2015, 08:41:43 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I was just sarcastically pointing out that it's just his personal opinion, and as such isn't really worth all that much as an argument.

Which could be said of between 95 and 99.9 percent of the posts on these boards, so what of it?
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #215 on: July 06, 2015, 08:58:05 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I was just sarcastically pointing out that it's just his personal opinion, and as such isn't really worth all that much as an argument.

Which could be said of between 95 and 99.9 percent of the posts on these boards, so what of it?

Very true. Half the time I write a post I then think "Should I even post this? Who cares about my opinion?"

Just more or less a place to express thoughts that may be similar to those others are having, or sharing/learning information that may be novel. Seems rare to read something that is surprising or mind-blowing, though.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #216 on: July 06, 2015, 09:19:10 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Very true. Half the time I write a post I then think "Should I even post this? Who cares about my opinion?"

Just more or less a place to express thoughts that may be similar to those others are having, or sharing/learning information that may be novel. Seems rare to read something that is surprising or mind-blowing, though.

I mean, opinions can be criticized or challenged, obviously.  An opinion with no substance to it but a preference or a feeling can't be discussed or debated, which is boring.

But dismissing a post because it's somebody's opinion, well ... I think you're in the wrong place.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #217 on: July 06, 2015, 09:33:10 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

Nothing of it.  You're spot on. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #218 on: July 06, 2015, 09:37:11 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

I mean, opinions can be criticized or challenged, obviously.  An opinion with no substance to it but a preference or a feeling can't be discussed or debated, which is boring.

But dismissing a post because it's somebody's opinion, well ... I think you're in the wrong place.

It just felt like your presentation was designed to make your opinion appear to have more weight than being just your opinion. 

I slightly cheekily said it was "nicely done," but I was also kind of being earnest.  It was nicely done.  Looked convincing. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers: