Author Topic: This looks like a lotto squad to me  (Read 36604 times)

Re: This looks like a lotto squad to me
« Reply #180 on: July 06, 2015, 12:16:39 AM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Let me start with this: you can see LarBrd33's whole pessimistic philosophy on the C's played out perfectly here. Pretty much every other team gets the benefit of the doubt, and the C's get pessimism and one line lol

This is a completely fair point.   :)
i don't equate the addition of rookies projected in the 2nd round the same as bonafied NBA starters.  Boston swapped one mediocre starter (bass) for another (amir).... Beyond that we didn't do anything.  Other teams have made real additions.  I see this as a lotto team.

That's what Danny's praying for.

Which now brings us to the next question

Who are the "can't miss" draft prospects for next year's draft?

Simmons, the new Kentucky 7 foot center, and Brown from Cal

« Reply #181 on: July 06, 2015, 12:18:14 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Let me start with this: you can see LarBrd33's whole pessimistic philosophy on the C's played out perfectly here. Pretty much every other team gets the benefit of the doubt, and the C's get pessimism and one line lol

i don't equate the addition of rookies projected in the 2nd round the same as bonafied NBA starters.  Boston swapped one mediocre starter (bass) for another (amir).... Beyond that we didn't do anything.  Other teams have made real additions.  I see this as a lotto team.

Thanks for the info. Simmons sounds enticing. What's the word on him? Franchise player maybe?

« Reply #182 on: July 06, 2015, 12:20:12 AM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

Thanks for the info. Simmons sounds enticing. What's the word on him? Franchise player maybe?

Definitely. Can do it all.

« Reply #183 on: July 06, 2015, 12:35:38 AM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100
This team was 24-12 with its new roster and without a training camp for the final 36. Extrapolated that is 55 wins in a 82 game season based on a sample size of 41% of a full season. They weren't simply a 40 win team if you look at the season objectively (all of the trades).

Anyway it is as unreasonable for me to predict 55 wins as it is for you to predict 35 wins. That kind of drop in performance is unprecedented season to season with actual roster continuity. They won close to 70% of your predicted win total in less than half the season with this current roster.

Like another poster said, it is dubious to give the benefit of the doubt to all other teams but ignore all of the issues the Celtics faced last season. The trades and lack of roster continuity the Celtics faced last year are as significant as some of the major injuries other Eastern teams went through.

It is far more reasonable to predict 43-45 wins based on their 36 game performance, expectation of improvement from young players, and a full training camp. That's barring significant injuries or trades.

« Reply #184 on: July 06, 2015, 12:40:26 AM »

Offline sawick48

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27

THON. MAKER.

for whatever reason he isn't high on many boards right now, but trust me, the kid will sky rocket towards the top of the draft, and in all likelihood be the 1st or 2nd name called on draft night.  legit 7'+ center who can dribble.  and not just dribble around the paint, the kid has actual handles where a team can play through him.  athletic as sin and can do all the things you want a prototypical center to do while also being able to take his game outside and play a stretch 4 or 5 spot.  been on him since last year or so, whenever he comes out (there's issues with what enrolling frosh class he'll be a part of) i imagine Danny will start drooling himself once he starts the scouting process on the kid.  obviously needs to add muscle (as any 18 year old big does) but to me, a legit franchise player in the making. 

and with the Celtics lottery luck, in a class with Maker and Simmons, we'll nab the #3 pick.  i can see it now.......

« Reply #185 on: July 06, 2015, 12:50:25 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
During the Celtics final 36 games the C's were 8th in defense (12th over the entire year), this should only improve with Amir Johnson/the development of Smart. A top 10 defense barring injuries is likely this year.

The Celtics shot very poorly from 3 last year but that was in part due to players who should improve their shooting next year (Bradley, Crowder, and Thomas all shot below their career average) while Young, Smart and Sullinger should continue to improve based on more repetitions)

The C's will be deep. Injuries are a part of the NBA, and I'm not sure if any team is better able to deal with injuries without production being hurt due to our homogeneous roster.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #186 on: July 06, 2015, 03:34:45 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Yeah it shouldn't surprise anyone that I'm the one posting this.  I'm a pessimist.  This team looked like a lotto squad to me last year too.  I'd guess it looked like a lotto squad to Ainge as well. 

All I know is that this team was bottom 10 with a few weeks left in the season... essentially tied with Charlotte.   Charlotte goes in one direction (losing MKG and Big Al to injury and finishing with 9 losses over their last 12 games)... Boston goes in another direction (late season surge while the league slept... win 9 out of their last 11 games).  Suddenly we're in the playoffs with a losing record.   I hope we build on that experience.

So this offseason we swapped out Bass for Amir and added some depth to the Red Claws.  Cool.  Maybe we'll be a bit better.   But I think there's a chance some of these teams behind us will catch up.  Let's look at them from the bottom up:

Knicks (17 wins):  Melo is back.  Melo made the playoffs the first 9 years of his career.  Typically 50+ win seasons.  Go ahead and knock him, but the guy has talent.   They added Aaron Afflalo and Robin Lopez.  Kyle O'Quinn is a serviceable starting PF with quality defense.  Point guard is a concern.  Who are they playing there... Jerian Grant or something?  I imagine Porzingus comes off the bench.   Maybe they should move Porzingus for Ty Lawson or something.  Not unthinkable that team will win 40+. 

Philly (18 wins):  Everything that can be said about them has been said about them.  Let's start by just saying they had a top 12 defense last year.  Noel showed major improvement the second half.  With him on the court, they had the best defense in the league.  So they add Okafor who should immediately be an offensive threat for the team.  I still think Embiid plays.  Stauskas is a nice shooter.  They'll get Wroten back.  It's starting to look like a basketball team.  At any point, they can probably trade one of their three bigs for a fool's ransom.  Boston, for instance, would probably give up half their lineup for Okafor.  I think as long as HInkie continues to be patient, this will be a lottery team, but it wouldn't be hard for this team to change gears if they want to.  Best assets in the league.

Orlando (25 wins):  I really like Orlando.  They might be one of the most exciting young teams in the league.  Anyone see Aaron Gordon tonight in summer league?  22 points, 18 boards and 2 blocks.  If that kid shows improvement this year, look out.  Check that lineup:  PG - Elfrid Payton, SG - Oladipo, SF - Tobias Harris, PF - Aaron Gordon, C - Vucevic... .with Mario Hezonja off the bench?  Who knows what that team will do.  Could they make a leap?  It's possible. 

Detroit (32 wins):  They lost Monroe.  My guess is they are going to be worse unless Drummond turns into a superstar.  They don't look like a threat to improve.  EDIT:  I'll plug in TheFlex's comments:  "Really disagree about Detroit. They were better with Anthony Tolliver's stretch 4 game replacing Monroe when Monroe was injured. They got two superior versions of Tolliver in Ilyasova and Marcus Morris and added Stanley Johnson. Reggie Jackson gets more time to learn what SVG wants and Jennings comes back from injury. If the Celts miss the playoffs, I think it'll be because the Pistons stole our spot."

Hornets (33 wins):  Who knows.  That team is completely dysfunctional.  They got hit with injuries last year.  If MKG, Al JEfferson and Kemba are healthy, they might get back into the playoffs (they made the playoffs in 2013-14).  The addition of Batum might help.  Maybe they'll see growth out of Zeller or maybe their infatuation with Kaminsky will pay off.  That team was even with us with about 11 games left in the season.  Not unthinkable that they'll be better than us this year.

Miami (37 wins): Getting Bosh back.  Adding Winslow.  PG - Dragic, SG Wade, SF Deng/Winslow, PF Bosh, C Whiteside...  I expect that to be a playoff team next year.

Pacers (38 wins): Welcome back Paul George.  Hello Monta Ellis.  Goodbye Hibbert.  Goodbye West?  I don't know what to make of the Pacers.  I say they have just as good a shot as we do to make the playoffs next year, though.  George and Ellis have game.

Brooklyn (38 wins):  That team showed real life down the stretch with Brook Lopez back in the starting lineup and the addition of Thad Young.  Everyone seems to think they are toast.  I don't get it.  They have been a playoff team two years in a row. I expect them to be back in the playoffs next year.

Boston (40 wins):   Swapped out Bass for Amir.   Added some depth to the Red Claws.  That's about it.

I wouldn't say it's unthinkable that we'll make the playoffs next year.  I just think we overachieved to begin with.  We're going to need some real progress out of Smart, Sully, Young, etc.   We need Amir Johnson to be a revelation.   Otherwise, I think we could very easily win 35 games and barely miss out.

Note:  Boston is a roster built for trades.   I have to imagine we'll make a trade at some point.  It looks like a lotto squad to me RIGHT NOW.  I don't know what this team will look like in February.

Haha, you never stop. I almost give you a TP for being so persistent.
Well, I agree, this team looks like a lotto team to me as well.
Starting 2014 with Rondo and Green it also looks like a lotto team, and even more after we traded those 2.
Can they win 30 games next season? Possible.
Can they win 40 games next season? Possible.
Can they win 50 games next season? Possible.
I'm looking forward to read your next topic LarBrd33.
Cheers :)

« Reply #187 on: July 06, 2015, 08:34:03 AM »

Offline MrMorrill

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9
I must be overly optimistic...

In my head I see the Celtics at .500 this year and in the playoffs. I'm pretty excited to see what this team can do, may be tough to watch some nights but I'll be watching! 

« Reply #188 on: July 06, 2015, 08:57:26 AM »

Offline Rhyso

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
I really hope Danny trades IT, Bradley, and Olynyk, because we really need another good lotto pick moving forward since free agency gave us NOTHING.

Put the ball in Smarts hands more and see what he's got.

« Reply #189 on: July 06, 2015, 09:13:34 AM »

Offline djbilly33

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 11
This team hopefully does make the lottery. I still don't understand why we made the playoffs or everyone wanted us to make the playoffs. For what? We were swept lol. We are years and years away from being relevant, no free agents are coming here and no one will trade with us, so our only chance is the lottery. I think making the playoffs this year was a huge mistake. Even if we got the 10th pick we could of drafted justice or wks. I would change teams with Philly, Orlando or Minny at this time, since theyre teams have a higher ceiling and more talent. 

As for the playoffs we won't be making them, thank God! NY will win at least 41 games, and Miami will be a 3 or 4 seed. Those 2 teams making the playoffs will knock us out.

2015-2016 Predictions

1. Cleveland (60)
2. Miami (55)
3. Chicago (50)
4. Washington (47)
5. Milwaukee (45)
6. Toronto (44)
7. Atlanta (44)
8. NJ/NY (42)
9. NY/NJ (42)
10. Phi (39)
11. Char (37)
12. Orlando (36)
13. Indiana (35)
14. Boston (33)
15. Detroit (30)

« Reply #190 on: July 06, 2015, 09:21:57 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
This team hopefully does make the lottery. I still don't understand why we made the playoffs or everyone wanted us to make the playoffs. For what? We were swept lol. We are years and years away from being relevant, no free agents are coming here and no one will trade with us, so our only chance is the lottery. I think making the playoffs this year was a huge mistake. Even if we got the 10th pick we could of drafted justice or wks. I would change teams with Philly, Orlando or Minny at this time, since theyre teams have a higher ceiling and more talent. 

As for the playoffs we won't be making them, thank God! NY will win at least 41 games, and Miami will be a 3 or 4 seed. Those 2 teams making the playoffs will knock us out.

2015-2016 Predictions

1. Cleveland (60)
2. Miami (55)
3. Chicago (50)
4. Washington (47)
5. Milwaukee (45)
6. Toronto (44)
7. Atlanta (44)
8. NJ/NY (42)
9. NY/NJ (42)
10. Phi (39)
11. Char (37)
12. Orlando (36)
13. Indiana (35)
14. Boston (33)
15. Detroit (30)

Lol Philly wins 39 games LOL.  And New Jersey... You don't keep up much with the NBA, do you?

« Reply #191 on: July 06, 2015, 09:22:52 AM »

Offline djbilly33

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 11
yup I do, 30 years and counting.

« Reply #192 on: July 06, 2015, 09:23:01 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

2015-2016 Predictions

1. Cleveland (60)
2. Miami (55)
3. Chicago (50)
4. Washington (47)
5. Milwaukee (45)
6. Toronto (44)
7. Atlanta (44)
8. NJ/NY (42)
9. NY/NJ (42)
10. Phi (39)
11. Char (37)
12. Orlando (36)
13. Indiana (35)
14. Boston (33)
15. Detroit (30)

Why do you think Philadelphia takes such a big step forward?

I think they'll stay where they are.

* I don't think J.Okafor is ready to make a big impact in the W-L column because of how bad his defense is. I think he'll give up defensively about as much as he gets offensively.
* I think Noel's progress will slow down with presence of Okafor. I think switching to the PF position lessens his defensive impact and rebounding. And I think offensively, he'll struggle to play alongside Okafor since both are paint-only bigs.
* Philly have a big hole at PG
* their wings have become respectable role players but more bench players than starters. Either get a guy who is a strong shooter or a strong defender. Not two way balanced players. Jerami Grant is the closest thing to a two way player but he is such a low volume offense guy. None of the wings have enough ball-handling and passing ability to help out the lack of a PG. Maybe Wroten ... I don't know, he has been nothing but a stat-padder so far in his career. We'll see.

I am not optimistic on Philly next season.

I think they need another year before they start making big movement forward.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 09:41:27 AM by Who »

« Reply #193 on: July 06, 2015, 09:25:38 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
yup I do, 30 years and counting.

Well, New Jersey hasn't had a team in 3 years, I hate to tell you.

« Reply #194 on: July 06, 2015, 09:33:42 AM »

Offline greenrunsdeep41

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 152

THON. MAKER.

for whatever reason he isn't high on many boards right now, but trust me, the kid will sky rocket towards the top of the draft, and in all likelihood be the 1st or 2nd name called on draft night.  legit 7'+ center who can dribble.  and not just dribble around the paint, the kid has actual handles where a team can play through him.  athletic as sin and can do all the things you want a prototypical center to do while also being able to take his game outside and play a stretch 4 or 5 spot.  been on him since last year or so, whenever he comes out (there's issues with what enrolling frosh class he'll be a part of) i imagine Danny will start drooling himself once he starts the scouting process on the kid.  obviously needs to add muscle (as any 18 year old big does) but to me, a legit franchise player in the making. 

and with the Celtics lottery luck, in a class with Maker and Simmons, we'll nab the #3 pick.  i can see it now.......

Come on man. You just described the best player in the nba and you're talking about a high school kid that has some nice videos on YouTube dunking over white guys that look like me. Let's let him play atleast a single college game before we start anointing him.
2019 Historical Draft - Golden State

C - Bill Russell/Joel Embiid
PF - Giannis Antetokounmpo/Tommy Heinsohn
SF - Kevin Durant/Billy Cunningham
SG - Bruce Bowen/David Thompson
PG - Isiah Thomas/James Harden