Author Topic: This looks like a lotto squad to me  (Read 36521 times)

Re: This looks like a lotto squad to me
« Reply #135 on: July 05, 2015, 07:13:19 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Trivia....name all the players drafted by the Orlando Magic since 1994 that have become all stars and that never played a minute in the NBA. There is one of each.
Thanks for helping to illustrate the point how unlikely it is that these scrubs we took in the draft this year will amount to squat. 

Like I said, we swapped out Bass with Amir and added some depth to the Red Claws.  Unless we get some major progress from the mediocre youth, or pull off a miracle trade, I see this is a lotto squad.   Lots of teams behind us have made progress.  Is that to say that every... single... team... will improve?  No, of course not.   But Boston made the playoffs with a losing record.  I'm skeptical it happens again.

Wizards, Hawks, Heat, Cavs, Bulls, Bucks, Pacers, Raptors are all much better on paper than the Celtics.

Nets, Hornets, Magic are on the Celtics level and could either finish above or below them.

Sixers, Pistons, and Knicks are the only teams we should finish infront of in the east. Right now I'd peg the Celtics to land anywhere between 8-12 in the lotto.
In the next two years we'll have a better pg than all of those teams not named the Wizards.

Yup ...I like how we re set for guards .....out of the ten or so we got at least 4 should be pretty darn good.

We need. ...Nerlins .....

« Reply #136 on: July 05, 2015, 07:13:40 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Trivia....name all the players drafted by the Orlando Magic since 1994 that have become all stars and that never played a minute in the NBA. There is one of each.
Thanks for helping to illustrate the point how unlikely it is that these scrubs we took in the draft this year will amount to squat. 

Like I said, we swapped out Bass with Amir and added some depth to the Red Claws.  Unless we get some major progress from the mediocre youth, or pull off a miracle trade, I see this is a lotto squad.   Lots of teams behind us have made progress.  Is that to say that every... single... team... will improve?  No, of course not.   But Boston made the playoffs with a losing record.  I'm skeptical it happens again.

We were 20-9 after the all-star break (once we came back from the west coast trip) and had the 2nd best record in the East (after Cleveland). We did get swept by the Cavs, but the games were close (loses were in single digits in 3 out of the 4 games. They also had a healthy Irving and Love (he was injured in the 1Q of game 4).

If you analyze our team we could get significant improvement from the following players based on either age, injury, or familiarity with the team.

Starters
PF- Sullinger (contract year, said to be working on his conditioning all summer)
SF- Crowder (played better and better with the C's and I expect his growth to continue)
C- Johnson (simply an upgrade over Bass)
PG- Smart (healthy ankle, should be heavily improved in his second year)
SG- Bradley (has made steady strides each summer, hoping it continues with better playmaking ability)

Rotation guys
Olynyk (he is as is confidence goes, wouldn't be surprised to see him take a major step in year 3)
Zeller (don't expect much improvement from the end of the last year to this season)
Thomas (see above)
Turner (see above)
Young (should see a major improvement in his game, along with Smart, one of the largest growths on the team)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 07:21:18 PM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #137 on: July 05, 2015, 07:16:05 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Our talent, depth, and continuity in CBS' system are going to continue to be a huge factor in the success of the team.

People that believe that last year was a fluke will be proven to be mistaken. Prior to IT's arrival, the Celtics were one of, if not, the worst team in clutch situations (as defined by 82games) of the past 2 years. They've had plenty of opportunities during CBS' tenure, which speaks volumes of how good and competitive the team has been, but until IT's arrival the C's consistently fell short due to a lack of offense. IT has filled that sore spot through his ability to create offense in the clutch (an ability he's displayed since his rookie year).

This team can very well make a Raptors/Hawks-like leap without a true superstar (even though if anyone other than IT had a PER above 20, people would be all over him).

« Reply #138 on: July 05, 2015, 07:27:02 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
i don't get the point of going back and forth on this anymore.  it started before free agency and has continued to here.  evvvvvverybody believed we would make a big trade up in the draft and make a huge splash.  there was a small, vocal group of others who believed otherwise and were battled every step of the way for their belief as to why.  that group was right.

evvvvvverybody believed boston would be a destination for at least one elite level free agent, and that the idea that elite free agents have never come here before was simply because the C's never have had cap room, and not because Boston isn't an appealing city or team.  there was a small, vocal group of others who believed otherwise and were battled every step of the way for their belief as to why.  that group was right.

and now evvvvverbody seems to think we're a lock for a playoff team and we have all these players that are just going to develop into assets and that despite not having a single superstar, that chemistry, team play, and development will rule the day and carry Boston to (i've seen as many as) 52 wins, or at least a marked improvement over last year. there's been a small, vocal group of others who believe otherwise and are battled every step of the way for their belief as to why..........wonder what'll happen

You must enjoy everytime you are right about something.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #139 on: July 05, 2015, 07:33:43 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
All this stuff about how terrible the Celtics will be and how great these other teams will be reminds me of the following quotes...

"I'm the best ever. I'm the most brutal and vicious, and most ruthless champion there's ever been. There's no one can stop me. Lennox is a conqueror? No, I'm Alexander, he's no Alexander. I'm the best ever! There's never been anybody as ruthless! I'm Sonny Liston, I'm Jack Dempsey. There's no one like me. I'm from their cloth. There's no one that can match me. My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart! I want to eat his children! Praise be to Allah!"

To which Lennox Lewis (who at the time had no children) said "He wants to eat my children? He'll have to get through my right and left first. This will be the end of Mike Tyson".

The next Tyson quote about Lewis was "He is a great fighter".

This is going to be the end of a lot of playoff team's runs in the East.  The Celtics, Bucks, and Magic are rising. Brooklyn is dead. The Hawks are dead. The Wiz are dead. The Bulls are dead. The Pacers are dead. They're going to fade into Bolivia.

We shall soon see the death knell of the injured washed up 30 year old never beens. The age of the boys is over. The age of Marcus Smart is beginning.

« Reply #140 on: July 05, 2015, 07:45:24 PM »

Offline sawick48

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27

Wizards, Hawks, Heat, Cavs, Bulls, Bucks, Pacers, Raptors are all much better on paper than the Celtics.

Nets, Hornets, Magic are on the Celtics level and could either finish above or below them.

Sixers, Pistons, and Knicks are the only teams we should finish infront of in the east. Right now I'd peg the Celtics to land anywhere between 8-12 in the lotto.

and of that last group, Pistons and Knicks are in that 'anything can happen' territory.  is anyone shocked if Melo pulls a record season out of nowhere to lead that team to 45 wins? i wouldnt be.

« Reply #141 on: July 05, 2015, 07:46:25 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

We were 20-9 after the all-star break (once we came back from the west coast trip) and had the 2nd best record in the East (after Cleveland). We did get swept by the Cavs, but the games were close (loses were in single digits in 3 out of the 4 games. They also had a healthy Irving and Love (he was injured in the 1Q of game 4).

The games were close on paper, but I don't think Cleveland was ever seriously concerned with losing any of the playoff games.

I don't think we'll break .500 this season but we could be better than last year.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #142 on: July 05, 2015, 07:48:55 PM »

Offline sawick48

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
i don't get the point of going back and forth on this anymore.  it started before free agency and has continued to here.  evvvvvverybody believed we would make a big trade up in the draft and make a huge splash.  there was a small, vocal group of others who believed otherwise and were battled every step of the way for their belief as to why.  that group was right.

evvvvvverybody believed boston would be a destination for at least one elite level free agent, and that the idea that elite free agents have never come here before was simply because the C's never have had cap room, and not because Boston isn't an appealing city or team.  there was a small, vocal group of others who believed otherwise and were battled every step of the way for their belief as to why.  that group was right.

and now evvvvverbody seems to think we're a lock for a playoff team and we have all these players that are just going to develop into assets and that despite not having a single superstar, that chemistry, team play, and development will rule the day and carry Boston to (i've seen as many as) 52 wins, or at least a marked improvement over last year. there's been a small, vocal group of others who believe otherwise and are battled every step of the way for their belief as to why..........wonder what'll happen

have only been wrong a single time in my life and that was when i doubted myself  ;)

but it's not me trying to gloat, it's fact.  it's what's happened to every major discussion point on these boards thus far in the summer.

« Reply #143 on: July 05, 2015, 07:49:24 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

The games were close on paper, but I don't think Cleveland was ever seriously concerned with losing any of the playoff games.

I don't think we'll break .500 this season but we could be better than last year.
that doesnt leave a lot of wiggle room
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #144 on: July 05, 2015, 07:51:36 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

have only been wrong a single time in my life and that was when i doubted myself  ;)

but it's not me trying to gloat, it's fact.  it's what's happened to every major discussion point on these boards thus far in the summer.

You must be very young then.

« Reply #145 on: July 05, 2015, 07:53:03 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

and of that last group, Pistons and Knicks are in that 'anything can happen' territory.  is anyone shocked if Melo pulls a record season out of nowhere to lead that team to 45 wins? i wouldnt be.
Right. Because when I think of Melo that's the kind of thing I think of.

« Reply #146 on: July 05, 2015, 07:53:45 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Worth pointing out:

The Celts might be better this year and yet finish with a worse record.  Focus on how the team performs against the best opponents and whether they find a 5 man unit that really stands out against quality competition.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #147 on: July 05, 2015, 07:57:50 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

to be fair you have listed just 2 arguments. One of which you were completely right on. good job.

For the FA's, Im assuming you are in the group thinking Boston is not desirable as a location and NYK and LA will get all the FA's. I love how you modified the argument to desirable city or team. The team part is a new part of this argument. From the way I saw it. I havent looked at your old posts, so if youve actually been making that argument then good on you.

Monroe to Milwakee
Harris resigned
Aldridge to San Antonio
Love resigned (in Cleveland BTW)
Jordan to Dallas(thats a big city but he left LA)

LA got... Lou Williams
NYK got... Robin Lopez and Kyle OQuinn
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #148 on: July 05, 2015, 08:05:20 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156

Melo can put up 35 points every night and they will still lose every game...Their roster is abysmal. Whois going to help Melo? Robin Lopez?

« Reply #149 on: July 05, 2015, 08:10:23 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I agree that it looks like a lotto squad on paper.  However, last year's team looked like a lotto squad on paper, too, especially after trading Rondo and Green.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes