Author Topic: This looks like a lotto squad to me  (Read 36610 times)

Re: This looks like a lotto squad to me
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2015, 10:25:50 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
Yeah it shouldn't surprise anyone that I'm the one posting this.  I'm a pessimist. 

Note:  Boston is a roster built for trades.   I have to imagine we'll make a trade at some point.  It looks like a lotto squad to me RIGHT NOW.  I don't know what this team will look like in February.

Your optimism is just plain refreshing.  Thanks Larbrd!!  Essentially you are saying: of course it's a lottery team, the C's are only 2 years into a complete rebuild; no team rebuilds in only 2 years; no team with 11 (or is it 12) players under 25 makes a serious playoff run. You remind us to be positive and patient -- "we are built for trades".  You made me think: Yeah, we have 14 decent tradeable pieces most of who will likely get better -- and they are all on tradeable contracts! Heck, even Gerald Wallace will be useful in a trade come January!! 
And all those draft picks!!! 
Thanks LarBrd --  you are all about positive energy and hope -- and I really appreciate it.

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2015, 10:27:19 PM »

Offline Al91

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
If NYK wins 40+ I'll return to this specific thread just to acknowledge your accurate prediction. I doubt they're going towards that big of an up swing though. They should at least double their win total from last year but I don't think they'll surpass that, even with the "talent" they've amassed as of late.

The Hornets are fools gold. Their six win season during the lockout year was more indicative of how well the team has been put together over the years than their playoff appearance two years ago. I'd pencil them out of playoffs again.

The Heat should be back in and I'll give Detroit a chance since I hyped them up big time last year after paying Smith to go play elsewhere. That alone would push Boston out because I don't see Boston being better than Miami next year.

I don't think there will be much of a shake up team-wise heading into next year's playoffs, rather the teams will be more competitive than they were last year.
Long-form is far from dead, but please refrain from paragraph-laden posts! Who wants to read that?!

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2015, 10:36:34 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
I hope so. Clearly tanking is the only way we're going to add significant talent. Not nice, but reality of NBA life..

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2015, 10:38:58 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Orlando (25 wins):  I really like Orlando.  They might be one of the most exciting young teams in the league.  Anyone see Aaron Gordon tonight in summer league?  22 points, 18 boards and 2 blocks.  If that kid shows improvement this year, look out.  Check that lineup:  PG - Elfrid Payton, SG - Oladipo, SF - Tobias Harris, PF - Aaron Gordon, C - Vucevic... .with Mario Hezonja off the bench?  Who knows what that team will do.  Could they make a leap?  It's possible. 

Orlando are a team I have been thinking about today as well. They look well assembled to make a leap next year. I am a big fan of Scott Skiles. He is a terrific coach. Develops young players. Gets teams to play together. Uses depth very well. Superb defensive coach. Perhaps the best defensive coach in the league. He wears out his welcome after a few years but he does some great things before that happens. I think Skiles is perfect for this team.

PG: E.Payton, CJ Watson
SG: Oladipo, Fournier
SF: T.Harris, Hezonja, Harkless
PF: A.Gordon, C.Frye
 C: Vucevic, (big gaping hole)

Except for that backup center spot ... Orlando's depth is very impressive.

Lots of quickness and athleticism. Lots of young players who are improving all the time.

And I think Skiles is the best man to teach Vucevic how to play some interior defense.

------------------------

This is a much more talented squad than I had realized.
Orlando was one of the worst defensive teams and one of the worst offensive teams.  Skiles has a lot of work to do. 

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2015, 10:39:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think we could very well see Orlando and Detroit make a leap this year with their young talent.  The Sixers and Minnesota may see an increase in wins, as well, depending on how their rookies perform.

There's a sense of superiority around here because we made the playoffs this season in the second year of the rebuild without having to add a lot of talent high in the draft.  That opinion could change somewhat a year from now if the Celts endure a bit of a let down, or simply jog in place, while some of these other teams laden with lotto talent take a big step forward.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2015, 10:40:09 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
kinda like the time we tanked for Duncan....no...wait....like the time we tanked for Oden...and...the time we tanked for Wiggins...never mind.

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2015, 10:45:37 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
I think we could very well see Orlando and Detroit make a leap this year with their young talent.  The Sixers and Minnesota may see an increase in wins, as well, depending on how their rookies perform.

There's a sense of superiority around here because we made the playoffs this season in the second year of the rebuild without having to add a lot of talent high in the draft.  That opinion could change somewhat a year from now if the Celts endure a bit of a let down, or simply jog in place, while some of these other teams laden with lotto talent take a big step forward.

We're going to see some POd Celtics fans next year book it..

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2015, 10:46:31 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Ok so here are some questions......Amir Johnson. It's an upgrade, right? I mean when you get the starting pf from the 3 seed in your conference at a reasonable price it's good right?

I hope so.  But why is Amir getting all the credit for Toronto's 3-seed?  That team has talent on it. 

And also, I fear that we are underestimating Brandon Bass.  He was arguably the most consistent scorer on the team last year.  He's a servicable defender.  He averaged 12 points, 6 rebounds on 55% shooting over the second half.  He's one of the best mid-range shooting big men in the entire league.  I don't think we make the playoffs without Bass playing a key part of it.  

I hope Amir makes a bit of an improvement... but we could struggle for the same reasons we struggled last season:  Too many mediocre parts and a lack of defined roles.  It wasn't until guys got injured and Ainge traded away guys that we started seeing a solid rotation and the players started to overachieve under Stevens' leadership.  I'm not expecting it to happen again.

I couldn't disagree any more about this. I'm glad Bass is gone as his time has come to an end. He didn't play a bigger part in making the playoffs than anyone else on the team. Also, Amir is definitely an upgrade.
Bass was an above average guy but his big thing was the long two and Amir is definitely an upgrade. You can't tell me if you trade last year Bass for Amir that the Raptors get better and we get worse. Not buying that at all.

Amir coached by what I consider to be a nitwit in Dwane Casey is an upgrade over Bass. Amir utilized by CBS? We may have a poor man's Serge Ibaka on our hands, if he can stay healthy.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2015, 10:50:40 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
This post conveniently ignores that we became the 2nd best team in the east post all star break.

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2015, 10:57:34 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

I also think based on the free agent snubs that Ainge has come to the conclusion the only way we end up landing a star is through the draft.

On the contrary, signing vets to these large unguaranteed contracts signals to me that Ainge is not concerned with trying to get talent higher in the draft.  Nor does it seem like he's intent on signing second or third tier free agents, even if the player is young and might be a bargain long term. 

Instead, it seems he's focused entirely on setting himself up to make a blockbuster trade or two for an elite talent.  From what I can tell, all of the eggs are in that basket.  If no such trade materializes, we're basically left hoping that one of these guys selected in the mid to late 1st round turns into a star.

All the eggs aren't in that basket, but it is probably Plan A.  Plan B is one of the Nets picks is high enough to draft a star.  Plan C is one of the players making an unexpected leap, such as Amir Johnson becoming as productive as Paul Millsap in the right situation.  Plan D is drafting a star with a likely non-lottery pick.  Plan E is getting hit hard by the injury bug so that it looks like a pseudo-tank job.  Plan F is free agency next summer.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2015, 11:05:27 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
kinda like the time we tanked for Duncan....no...wait....like the time we tanked for Oden...and...the time we tanked for Wiggins...never mind.

well, in the Duncan draft, we still ended up with Billups, who we really should've been more patient with. And the team who ended up with Duncan was a Spurs team who *surprise!* also tanked.

And then in the Oden draft, we ended up with the 5th pick to trade for Ray Allen (which allowed us to cash in the rest of the team's assets for KG). That team kinda did well, I think.

And then in the Wiggins draft, we still ended up with Marcus Smart who is probably the only player on our roster right now with All-star potential.

So yes, I'd say the tanks have helped us quite a bit.
- LilRip

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2015, 11:09:03 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
This post conveniently ignores that we became the 2nd best team in the east post all star break.

Having the second best record is not necessarily the same as being the second best team.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2015, 11:12:57 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

I also think based on the free agent snubs that Ainge has come to the conclusion the only way we end up landing a star is through the draft.

On the contrary, signing vets to these large unguaranteed contracts signals to me that Ainge is not concerned with trying to get talent higher in the draft.  Nor does it seem like he's intent on signing second or third tier free agents, even if the player is young and might be a bargain long term. 

Instead, it seems he's focused entirely on setting himself up to make a blockbuster trade or two for an elite talent.  From what I can tell, all of the eggs are in that basket.  If no such trade materializes, we're basically left hoping that one of these guys selected in the mid to late 1st round turns into a star.

That's the same impression I got, PhoSita.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2015, 11:15:53 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

Having the second best record is not necessarily the same as being the second best team.

I'm an optimist when it comes to the Cs, but the second best record fact is thrown around way too often. Playoff teams- or rather real contenders- were resting their players for large portions of the second half of the year. Winning games post All Star Break won't necessarily translate to winning games throughout the year.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2015, 11:16:40 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

This is a better team than the one that went 24-12 after the allstar break.