Author Topic: Jeff Withey  (Read 1682 times)

Jeff Withey
« on: July 04, 2015, 03:25:15 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I'd like to see him signed on a one year deal with a team option for a second. I'd much rather have him than Pressey. That is all....
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: Jeff Withey
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 03:27:34 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'd rather just see what Mickey can do.  Younger, more upside, won't cost us anything.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 03:34:31 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I'd like to see him signed on a one year deal with a team option for a second. I'd much rather have him than Pressey. That is all....

Assuming we keep Mickey around, we're at 15 without Pressey.  And that doesn't include Thornton who is expected to go to Europe for a year while C's hold onto his draft rights, or Colton Iverson either.

In other words, I doubt Pressey wastes roster space this year, but even so, there's no room for Withey.

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 03:36:28 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Guess I'm afraid I don't understand when folks say they don't want a guy based on another player on the roster, like we're trying to round it out for some sort of 2015-16 run -- particularly when it's based on a rookie 2nd round pick PF whose 6'8" when I'm taking about a 7'1" center. No. Just bring in the best value you can. Withey will be cheap, and could still develop into a legit NBA shot blocker. If both turn out well, that's a nice problem to have.

Saltover ~~ I only made the point about Pressey considering his tenure with the team. I don't expect him to make it past July 15, but regardless I think it's too early to count roster spots. A trade is happening between now and the beginning of the year, I'd wager.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 03:42:54 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
I did a bunch of research on possible cheap finds a week or two ago and Withey was one of them.  Statistically, he causes a low shot % for the other team at the rim, rebounds in traffic and shoots a high % from the field.  Pretty much what you want on a low risk high reward type guy.

Can he put up those numbers against starters and in a larger sample size, probably not.  Would be nice to see though.  Unless trades are coming Pressey really has no place on this team anymore.  Replacing him with a true 5 is kind of a no brainer.

This is part of that post on Withey, "Finally, oppfg%attherim, another gold spot for Withey.  He is at 43.7%.  That is higher than this boards favorite player Nerlens Noel.  Rudy Gobert led the league with a 40.4% with Serge Ibaka second at 40.8.  So Withey is right up there with the top defenders at the rim."
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 03:48:36 PM by danglertx »

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 04:17:32 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
Guess I'm afraid I don't understand when folks say they don't want a guy based on another player on the roster, like we're trying to round it out for some sort of 2015-16 run -- particularly when it's based on a rookie 2nd round pick PF whose 6'8" when I'm taking about a 7'1" center. No. Just bring in the best value you can. Withey will be cheap, and could still develop into a legit NBA shot blocker. If both turn out well, that's a nice problem to have.

Saltover ~~ I only made the point about Pressey considering his tenure with the team. I don't expect him to make it past July 15, but regardless I think it's too early to count roster spots. A trade is happening between now and the beginning of the year, I'd wager.

+ 1 on Withey and the research.

Jeff was one of the reasons I thought Sully will have troubles getting his shot off in the pros. I remember a game when Jared had so much troubles against him. Withey was generally considered top 3 defender in college prior to the draft and a steal for Nola. He played 12 min per game his rookie year and would still lead last years team in blocks per game!

On the Mickey comparison, Jeff is a legit 7 footer with reach and wingspan to add.

Then he proceeded to have a solid rookie season and managed to win out 10 min per game in a crowded big rotation. His second year, there was just no playing time left behind AD, Asik, Anderson and Ajinca.

Judging by what Biyombo and Koufus got, we could have him with a small offer and on a team friendly contract.

All of this is only valid if we do some kind of post FA clearing of the backlogs at the guards and PF spots. If we do, I'd be very happy to add Withey. He is not better than the guys we currently have but adds a different and severely lacked skill set.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 07:04:14 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Coulda had this guy a few years ago in the draft but of course you know danny ainge didn't think we need a center ::)

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 08:02:33 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I'd assume Doc will look carefully at him, though roster spots are a little more precious for a 'win now' team.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 09:08:03 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Can't spread the floor so we will not want him.