Author Topic: Bismack Biyombo agrees to two-year, $6M deal with the Toronto Raptors  (Read 9944 times)

Re: Bismack Biyombo agrees to two-year, $6M deal with the Toronto Raptors
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2015, 04:19:45 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Meh......he is no prize .

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2015, 04:27:32 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
He needs to fire his agent. How does a bigman not get 5 million plus in this day in age?
Seriously, though... how did his agent not reach out to the Clippers?   

22 year old Jordan per-36:  10 points, 10.1 rebounds, 2.5 blocks.   
22 year old Bismack Per-36:  8.8 points, 11.8 rebounds, 2.9 blocks

Couldn't have Bis provided like 70% of what Jordan was?  At least on the defensive end, I honestly believe he could.

Yes, but he couldn't get $3 million in a year from the Clippers.  They don't have those kinds of funds available for a free agent.

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2015, 04:38:55 PM »

Offline MVP

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
Real-talk:  I'd rather have Biyombo at 3 mil than Amir at 12 mil... sounds like that's the consensus amongst Raptor fans as well right now.

I like what the Raptors are doing.  All their moves right now seem geared towards improving defensively.  DeMar Caroll and Biyombo are nice grabs for them.   Will be interesting to see how their roster shakes out.  Are they still looking to move Jonas V?

Depends what are we doing with the 9M difference? As our roster is already packed and we weren't chasing Monroe/Harris for max deals then it sounds like nothing. So given that, I'd rather have Amir at 12M for 1 year given that he's significantly better and then have him as a trade asset at the deadline or next offseason.

Also take a look at the Charlotte big guys - Jefferson, Zeller, Kaminsky, Hawes. They sorely lack a defensive presence up front. Them just cutting their losses and letting Biyombo go and not even trying to resign him speaks volumes.

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2015, 05:26:03 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I don't want to rag on Biyombo, who seems like a reasonably decent pick up at price, but here's a little perspective.

Per 36 stats

22-year-old Biyombo, 8.8 pts, 10.4 11.8 rebs, 2.9 blks.
23-year-old Olynyk, 15.6 pts, 7.7 rebs, 1 blk.
22-year-old Sullinger, 17.7 pts, 10.1 rebs, 1 blk.
25-year-old Zeller, 17.2 pts, 9.7 rebs, 1.1 blks.

Considering that Biyombo's rebounding number are likely at least a bit inflated due to his near total lack of an offensive burden and that I've never heard of him being anything to write home about on defense, I remain amazed at how people here can viciously rip Celtics players while remaining optimistically intrigued by clearly inferior players.

Mike
Add this one:

28-year-old Amir Johnson:  12.6 points, 8.3 rebounds, 1.1 block

You rather have him at 12 mil or Biyombo at 3?

You're asking me if I'd rather overpay for the starting power forward of a team that went 49-33 last season or get a bargain for the tenth man in the rotation of a team that went 33-49 last season, who not only couldn't beat out Cody Zeller for playing time but the team who has been watching him every day in practice for years just made no effort at all to retain?

Do you think that's a hard question to answer?

Mike

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2015, 05:39:55 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I don't want to rag on Biyombo, who seems like a reasonably decent pick up at price, but here's a little perspective.

Per 36 stats

Considering that Biyombo's rebounding number are likely at least a bit inflated due to his near total lack of an offensive burden and that I've never heard of him being anything to write home about on defense, I remain amazed at how people here can viciously rip Celtics players while remaining optimistically intrigued by clearly inferior players.

Mike
Add this one:

You're asking me if I'd rather overpay for the starting power forward of a team that went 49-33 last season or get a bargain for the tenth man in the rotation of a team that went 33-49 last season, who not only couldn't beat out Cody Zeller for playing time but the team who has been watching him every day in practice for years just made no effort at all to retain?

Mike
It's also a team that signed Lance Stephenson, passed on Justise Winslow,  passed up 6 draft picks from Boston only to take Frank Kaminsky, limits arguably the best wing defender in the league (MKG) to under 30 minutes, traded their 19 year old #9 pick after only seeing him play in 25 games... the last 5 of which he averaged 7.2 points and 8.6 rebounds in 23.6mpg, runs their offense through a chucker who shoots 38% and 30% from three...

I've said repeatedly that the Hornets are in a 2-way race with the Sacramento Kings as the most dysfunctional teams in the league.

I didn't like Biyombo based on what he has done.  I like Biyombo based on what he can do.   He's an intriguing prospect.  two-year 6m is an absolute steal.  Good for Toronto. 

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2015, 05:53:28 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Per 36 stats

Mike
Add this one:

Mike
It's also a team that signed Lance Stephenson, passed on Justise Winslow,  passed up 6 draft picks from Boston only to take Frank Kaminsky, limits arguably the best wing defender in the league (MKG) to under 30 minutes, traded their 19 year old #9 pick after only seeing him play in 25 games... the last 5 of which he averaged 7.2 points and 8.6 rebounds in 23.6mpg, runs their offense through a chucker who shoots 38% and 30% from three...

I've said repeatedly that the Hornets are in a 2-way race with the Sacramento Kings as the most dysfunctional teams in the league.

I didn't like Biyombo based on what he has done.  I like Biyombo based on what he can do.   He's an intriguing prospect.  two-year 6m is an absolute steal.  Good for Toronto.

Why, look at that!  I've never seen goalposts moved quite that quickly before!

The question you asked wasn't "Would you like Biyombo at 3?"  It was "Would you rather have Amir at 12 or Biyombo at 3?"  And again, I'd rather have the guy who has proven he can start for a winning team than the guy who has trouble getting off the bench for a losing team.

And since Charlotte drafted him, are you suggesting Charlotte was smart enough to recognize Biyombo's potential but too dumb to notice his development when they saw him at practice and games every day for several years?

Mike

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2015, 06:38:37 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Per 36 stats

Mike
Add this one:

Mike

The question you asked wasn't "Would you like Biyombo at 3?"  It was "Would you rather have Amir at 12 or Biyombo at 3?"  And again, I'd rather have the guy who has proven he can start for a winning team than the guy who has trouble getting off the bench for a losing team.

And since Charlotte drafted him, are you suggesting Charlotte was smart enough to recognize Biyombo's potential but too dumb to notice his development when they saw him at practice and games every day for several years?

Mike
yes... charlotte is that dumb. 

And yes, I'd rather have Biyombo at 2 years 6M over a rental of Amir Johnson at 12 mil.

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2015, 06:56:26 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

And yes, I'd rather have Biyombo at 2 years 6M over a rental of Amir Johnson at 12 mil.

Charlotte is that dumb

But CBS would not want Biyombo, sure he is great at blocking shots and rebounding but he can't spread the floor or play in CBS system.

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2015, 07:17:42 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I'd rather have Biyombo at 2yr/6mil than O'Quinn at 4yr/16mil or Williams at 2yr/10mil.  I don't understand what Jackson is doing. 

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2015, 07:28:04 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
He needs to fire his agent. How does a bigman not get 5 million plus in this day in age?

Because bizmo bimbo sucks.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2015, 07:33:16 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Well, I liked O'Quinn and all but Knicks overpaid.

https://twitter.com/wojyahoonba/status/617471979327651840

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2015, 09:45:28 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Per 36 stats

Mike
Add this one:

Mike

Mike

Would you rather have Johnson and Biyombo or Johnson and the Swedish Larry Bird?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2015, 03:30:21 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56

Per 36 stats

Mike
Add this one:

Mike

Mike

Would you rather have Johnson and Biyombo or Johnson and the Swedish Larry Bird?
Couldn't we have all 3? Just attach one of our too many future second round picks to Turner and someone will take him.

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2015, 02:44:10 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
This deal is better than the 3 year deal Dante Cunningham signed for 9 mill

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2015, 02:47:57 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

Per 36 stats

Mike
Add this one:

Mike

Mike

Biyombo has no game. Amir Johnson actually plays with purpose and is a basketball player. There's a reason Biyombo went cheap.