Author Topic: Bismack Biyombo agrees to two-year, $6M deal with the Toronto Raptors  (Read 9981 times)

Re: Bismack Biyombo agrees to two-year, $6M deal with the Toronto Raptors
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2015, 02:45:06 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
He needs to fire his agent. How does a bigman not get 5 million plus in this day in age?
Seriously, though... how did his agent not reach out to the Clippers?   

22 year old Jordan per-36:  10 points, 10.1 rebounds, 2.5 blocks.   
22 year old Bismack Per-36:  8.8 points, 11.8 rebounds, 2.9 blocks

Couldn't have Bis provided like 70% of what Jordan was?  At least on the defensive end, I honestly believe he could.

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2015, 02:45:33 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Zach Lowe wrote about O'Quinn.  We have plenty of guys who can score - Olynyk, Sullinger, Jerebko, it wouldn't hurt to have a defense only guy too if he is cheap.

- But there’s an intriguing player in here, and some team should pay a bit above market to see if it can coax that player out —

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-nba-groupon-games-which-players-are-the-next-free-agent-steals/
I like O'Quinn.  He's a workman.   I was always surprised he wasn't getting more minutes in Orlando.  If you play fantasy basketball at all, O'Quinn was one of the best per-minute performers over the last couple years.   He can do a lot of everything.  If Boston wasn't already filled with mediocre bigs, I'd say we should sign him off our bench.

Bummer we didn't sign Biyombo.  $3 mil a year seems about right given what he's accomplished thus far.  My thing with Bis has always been that he seemed like the kind of kid that filled a real need (rebounding, rim protection) and could be a real surprise "buy low" candidate.  I was never salivating over him due to what he's already done.  I was salivating over him due to what he could do.   He's a solid rim protector with an underdeveloped game, but still has time to figure it out.    Some blogs threw out the idea that he'd cost upwards of $10 mil per year in this free agent market, because Bis was a restricted free agent and you'd have to overpay to steal.  Once the Hornets made him an unrestricted free agent, the "overpay" scenario was off the table.   Zach Lowe had previously written about Biyombo being a free agent steal this year and predicted he'd get somewhere around 3-5 mil.   Masai is a quality GM and he snatched him up for cheap.  Will be interesting to see what kind of role he has there. 

Considering that we just gave Amir Johnson 12 million dollars and gave Jerebko $5 mil... this is a real bargain.  It's a win for our division rivals.

Toronto definitely won from a long term financial but unless Biyombo develops into the player you and I think he can be, he's still not the player that Amir and even Jonas are.

Johnson should slide right into our system, Biyombo might need the planets to align to crack a deep rotation like our's or Toronto's. A bust on a palatable contract is still a bust.

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2015, 02:47:59 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I don't want to rag on Biyombo, who seems like a reasonably decent pick up at price, but here's a little perspective.

Per 36 stats

22-year-old Biyombo, 8.8 pts, 10.4 rebs, 2.9 blks.
23-year-old Olynyk, 15.6 pts, 7.7 rebs, 1 blk.
22-year-old Sullinger, 17.7 pts, 10.1 rebs, 1 blk.
25-year-old Zeller, 17.2 pts, 9.7 rebs, 1.1 blks.

Considering that Biyombo's rebounding number are likely at least a bit inflated due to his near total lack of an offensive burden and that I've never heard of him being anything to write home about on defense, I remain amazed at how people here can viciously rip Celtics players while remaining optimistically intrigued by clearly inferior players.

Mike

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2015, 02:54:59 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Real-talk:  I'd rather have Biyombo at 3 mil than Amir at 12 mil... sounds like that's the consensus amongst Raptor fans as well right now.

I like what the Raptors are doing.  All their moves right now seem geared towards improving defensively.  DeMar Caroll and Biyombo are nice grabs for them.   Will be interesting to see how their roster shakes out.  Are they still looking to move Jonas V?

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2015, 02:56:32 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
BiiIIiiss... Hmm... He going to come off the bench for JOnas V or fill the starting role left absent by Amir Johnson?

I think Patrick Patterson takes that spot. Biyombo will come in behind Jonas.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2015, 02:57:23 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I don't want to rag on Biyombo, who seems like a reasonably decent pick up at price, but here's a little perspective.

Per 36 stats

22-year-old Biyombo, 8.8 pts, 10.4 11.8 rebs, 2.9 blks.

Considering that Biyombo's rebounding number are likely at least a bit inflated due to his near total lack of an offensive burden and that I've never heard of him being anything to write home about on defense, I remain amazed at how people here can viciously rip Celtics players while remaining optimistically intrigued by clearly inferior players.

Mike
Add this one:

28-year-old Amir Johnson:  12.6 points, 8.3 rebounds, 1.1 block

You rather have him at 12 mil or Biyombo at 3?

Fyi, did you short-change Biyombo on rebounds intentionally? 

Here's his Per-36:  8.8 points, 11.8 rebounds, 2.9 blocks

« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 03:03:08 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2015, 03:01:33 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Real-talk:  I'd rather have Biyombo at 3 mil than Amir at 12 mil... sounds like that's the consensus amongst Raptor fans as well right now.

Yes, but Amir Johnson's 12 million dollar "expiring" is an "asset"!
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2015, 03:04:19 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Per 36 stats

Mike
Add this one:

Fixed it for you:

22-year-old Biyombo, 8.8 pts, 11.8 rebs, 2.9 blks - 99 DRtg
24-year-old Olynyk, 15.6 pts, 7.7 rebs, 1 blk. - 102 DRtg
23-year-old Sullinger, 17.7 pts, 10.1 rebs, 1 blk - 103 DRtg
25-year-old Zeller, 17.2 pts, 9.7 rebs, 1.1 blks. - 105 DRtg
28-year-old Amir, 12.6 pts, 8.3 rebs, 1.1 blks  - 107 DRtg

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2015, 03:06:18 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff

I wouldn't. I think Biyombo's severely limited offensive game would have restricted Brad Stevens far more in mixing and matching alongside our own limited bigs than Amir restricts him. It should be said that every report quoting a league exec on the Amir signing revealed glowing support for the signing amongst the league's professional talent judges, whereas it seems there was little to no interest for Biyombo's services across the league. Finally, Amir's nonguaranteed 2nd year creates subtle value about his deal, while the rising cap softens the blow if we do have to pay him next year.

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2015, 03:10:08 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff

Per 36 stats

Mike
Add this one:

Fixed it for you:

22-year-old Biyombo, 8.8 pts, 11.8 rebs, 2.9 blks - 99 DRtg
24-year-old Olynyk, 15.6 pts, 7.7 rebs, 1 blk. - 102 DRtg
23-year-old Sullinger, 17.7 pts, 10.1 rebs, 1 blk - 103 DRtg
25-year-old Zeller, 17.2 pts, 9.7 rebs, 1.1 blks. - 105 DRtg
28-year-old Amir, 12.6 pts, 8.3 rebs, 1.1 blks  - 107 DRtg

It should be noted that Sullinger is only 6 months older than Biyombo, rather than a year as your post implies (JS was 22 for about 4 of the regular season's 6 months). In addition, Sullinger - along with Olynyk and Zeller - actually individually played a far greater portion of those 36 mins than Biyombo. There's something to be said about reality vs. potential/fantasy, IMHO.

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2015, 03:15:40 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
The fact that Biyombo is getting so underpaid per the viewpoint of this blog perhaps means that you all have been overvaluing him in ways that an NBA front office (or 30) were not.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2015, 03:20:24 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
The fact that Biyombo is getting so underpaid per the viewpoint of this blog perhaps means that you all have been overvaluing him in ways that an NBA front office (or 30) were not.

Exactly my thoughts. TP.

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2015, 03:21:52 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Yeah.  I've long thought Biyombo could be an interesting buy-low option, but we just watched a Finals in which ANDREW FREAKING BOGUT got run off the floor because of his inability to make an offensive impact.

Biyombo is so offensively inept that it's very hard to have him on the floor for extended stretches of time.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2015, 03:56:50 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Exactly. One of the problems with using Per36 with a player like Biyombo is that he's never going to play 36 minutes on a good team because a good team can't afford to be playing close to 36 minutes of 4 on 5 basketball offensively.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2015, 03:59:03 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
That's a reasonable deal for Joel Anthony 2.0.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference