Author Topic: Bismack Biyombo agrees to two-year, $6M deal with the Toronto Raptors  (Read 9991 times)

Re: Bismack Biyombo agrees to two-year, $6M deal with the Toronto Raptors
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2015, 04:28:19 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I don't want to rag on Biyombo, who seems like a reasonably decent pick up at price, but here's a little perspective.

Per 36 stats

22-year-old Biyombo, 8.8 pts, 10.4 11.8 rebs, 2.9 blks.
23-year-old Olynyk, 15.6 pts, 7.7 rebs, 1 blk.
22-year-old Sullinger, 17.7 pts, 10.1 rebs, 1 blk.
25-year-old Zeller, 17.2 pts, 9.7 rebs, 1.1 blks.

Considering that Biyombo's rebounding number are likely at least a bit inflated due to his near total lack of an offensive burden and that I've never heard of him being anything to write home about on defense, I remain amazed at how people here can viciously rip Celtics players while remaining optimistically intrigued by clearly inferior players.

Mike
Add this one:

28-year-old Amir Johnson:  12.6 points, 8.3 rebounds, 1.1 block

You rather have him at 12 mil or Biyombo at 3?

You're asking me if I'd rather overpay for the starting power forward of a team that went 49-33 last season or get a bargain for the tenth man in the rotation of a team that went 33-49 last season, who not only couldn't beat out Cody Zeller for playing time but the team who has been watching him every day in practice for years just made no effort at all to retain?

Do you think that's a hard question to answer?

Mike
It's also a team that signed Lance Stephenson, passed on Justise Winslow,  passed up 6 draft picks from Boston only to take Frank Kaminsky, limits arguably the best wing defender in the league (MKG) to under 30 minutes, traded their 19 year old #9 pick after only seeing him play in 25 games... the last 5 of which he averaged 7.2 points and 8.6 rebounds in 23.6mpg, runs their offense through a chucker who shoots 38% and 30% from three...

I've said repeatedly that the Hornets are in a 2-way race with the Sacramento Kings as the most dysfunctional teams in the league.

I didn't like Biyombo based on what he has done.  I like Biyombo based on what he can do.   He's an intriguing prospect.  two-year 6m is an absolute steal.  Good for Toronto.

Why, look at that!  I've never seen goalposts moved quite that quickly before!

The question you asked wasn't "Would you like Biyombo at 3?"  It was "Would you rather have Amir at 12 or Biyombo at 3?"  And again, I'd rather have the guy who has proven he can start for a winning team than the guy who has trouble getting off the bench for a losing team.

And since Charlotte drafted him, are you suggesting Charlotte was smart enough to recognize Biyombo's potential but too dumb to notice his development when they saw him at practice and games every day for several years?

Mike
yes... charlotte is that dumb. 

And yes, I'd rather have Biyombo at 2 years 6M over a rental of Amir Johnson at 12 mil.

Given your enthusiasm for Nik Stauskus and Anthony Bennett, that's hardly surprising.

Mike