Author Topic: Bismack Biyombo agrees to two-year, $6M deal with the Toronto Raptors  (Read 9977 times)

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
https://twitter.com/wojyahoonba/status/617388530591862784

I think that leaves Kyle O'Quinn as a cheap, long arm big man that I would like to come off the bench.

Bismack Biyombo agrees to two-year, $6M deal with the Toronto Raptors
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 01:50:30 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA
Free agent center Bismack Biyombo has agreed to a two-year, $6 million deal with the Toronto Raptors, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
https://twitter.com/wojyahoonba/status/617388530591862784

I think that leaves Kyle O'Quinn as a cheap, long arm big man that I would like to come off the bench.

Who the hell is that?

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA
Free agent center Bismack Biyombo has agreed to a two-year, $6 million deal with the Toronto Raptors, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

Sayonara

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Kyle O'Quinn - that's funny. He's a garbage time player not a regular rotation guy.

I think Danny is waiting to sign Summer League rejects.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
BiiIIiiss... Hmm... He going to come off the bench for JOnas V or fill the starting role left absent by Amir Johnson? 

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Man, $3m/yr for Bismack?! I would have been much happier with him (along with the extra financial flexibility). LarBrd must be going crazy right now.

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Zach Lowe wrote about O'Quinn.  We have plenty of guys who can score - Olynyk, Sullinger, Jerebko, it wouldn't hurt to have a defense only guy too if he is cheap.

- But there’s an intriguing player in here, and some team should pay a bit above market to see if it can coax that player out —

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-nba-groupon-games-which-players-are-the-next-free-agent-steals/

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
This is a lot cheaper then I thought it would be, I wonder if the second year is a player option.

I think he will come off the bench and Tyler Hansborough will start.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Wow, a rare low priced contract. Nice signing for Toronto.

At the very minimum, Biyombo will be a good replacement for Chuck Hayes.

Doubtful that Valanciunas is skilled enough to allow Biyombo start at PF which is a pity. Valanciunas' offensive skills revolve more around the basket and post ups. Similar to Big Al and Biyombo couldn't start next to Big Al.

Re: Bismack Biyombo agrees to two-year, $6M deal with the Toronto Raptors
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2015, 02:12:15 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
In a financial landscape where Matt Delladoeva is supposedly getting $3 - $5 million per year, this seems like a very low risk contract. 

I'd prefer this deal (plus an extra $14 million in cap space) to the Jerebko + Johnson contracts.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2015, 02:17:21 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Zach Lowe wrote about O'Quinn.  We have plenty of guys who can score - Olynyk, Sullinger, Jerebko, it wouldn't hurt to have a defense only guy too if he is cheap.

- But there’s an intriguing player in here, and some team should pay a bit above market to see if it can coax that player out —

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-nba-groupon-games-which-players-are-the-next-free-agent-steals/
I like O'Quinn.  He's a workman.   I was always surprised he wasn't getting more minutes in Orlando.  If you play fantasy basketball at all, O'Quinn was one of the best per-minute performers over the last couple years.   He can do a lot of everything.  If Boston wasn't already filled with mediocre bigs, I'd say we should sign him off our bench.

Bummer we didn't sign Biyombo.  $3 mil a year seems about right given what he's accomplished thus far.  My thing with Bis has always been that he seemed like the kind of kid that filled a real need (rebounding, rim protection) and could be a real surprise "buy low" candidate.  I was never salivating over him due to what he's already done.  I was salivating over him due to what he could do.   He's a solid rim protector with an underdeveloped game, but still has time to figure it out.    Some blogs threw out the idea that he'd cost upwards of $10 mil per year in this free agent market, because Bis was a restricted free agent and you'd have to overpay to steal.  Once the Hornets made him an unrestricted free agent, the "overpay" scenario was off the table.   Zach Lowe had previously written about Biyombo being a free agent steal this year and predicted he'd get somewhere around 3-5 mil.   Masai is a quality GM and he snatched him up for cheap.  Will be interesting to see what kind of role he has there. 

Considering that we just gave Amir Johnson 12 million dollars and gave Jerebko $5 mil... this is a real bargain.  It's a win for our division rivals.

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2015, 02:27:03 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I'm sad to hear it.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2015, 02:35:50 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
He needs to fire his agent. How does a bigman not get 5 million plus in this day in age?

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2015, 02:40:41 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
In a financial landscape where Matt Delladoeva is supposedly getting $3 - $5 million per year, this seems like a very low risk contract. 

I'd prefer this deal (plus an extra $14 million in cap space) to the Jerebko + Johnson contracts.
I agree. In the other Bismac thread I said we could probably get him for 3-4 mil a year.....But we would use him as a center and he could hover around the paint. He won't get minutes in TOR