Author Topic: Ainge is being disciplined and preserving our cap space for 2016 and 2017.  (Read 5267 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
So... every one else will have a ton of space, too, and we don't sign FAs. So... what are you saying? I think you forgot the punch line.

We will have more space and more flexibility than other teams.
we'll be one of the only teams that can offer 3 players $30 million a year AND surround them with excellent role players like Crowder. Rather than have 30 million tied up in Tobias Harris and robin Lopez.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline GzUP617

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 12
So... every one else will have a ton of space, too, and we don't sign FAs. So... what are you saying? I think you forgot the punch line.

we'll be one of the only teams that can offer 3 players $30 million a year AND surround them with excellent role players like Crowder. Rather than have 30 million tied up in Tobias Harris and robin Lopez.

My sentiments exactly.

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167

Exactly.
It's sad that most of the fans hear are stubborn and don't want to see how Danny is planning this.
Before Free agency I was in the same wagon as everybody else, wanting Harris and Monroe.
When I saw Danny's FA signings I realize it was very clever and way more efficient.
Danny obviously is waiting for a superstar available via trade. Not average players that will restrict us in the future.
Pick the superstar first and build the team around him.
He missed on Harden, he doesn't want this happen again.
Plan is legit and the best for our franchise (we are not good at tanking and not good to attract top FA).

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
If the Clippers don't live up to expectations the next few seasons I would be ecstatic to get Blake.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
When I read Ainge is being disciplined...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdFLPn30dvQ

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
The Celtics weren't going to have a shot at any of the big names this summer. Just look at how fast guys like Love, Leonard, and Gasol re-upped with their teams old teams. They were never leaving. Players who did move (like Aldridge, Jordan) went to playoff teams ready to compete, Boston wasn't on either of their lists.

We may have had a shot at guys like Harris and Monroe, but Orlando was always going to be able to offer Harris more money, so it just took them deciding they wanted to spend it and we were done. With Monroe, does he really move the needle for us? He would be a legit post scorer but he's not a defensive acnhor and he doesn't change the culture for us, long term.

I'd rather pick up a nice vet on a short term deal, like Amir Johnson, and keep our options open than lock into a second-tier free agent that's going to keep us a solid 5-seed in the East for the next 4 years.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
The Celtics weren't going to have a shot at any of the big names this summer. Just look at how fast guys like Love, Leonard, and Gasol re-upped with their teams old teams. They were never leaving. Players who did move (like Aldridge, Jordan) went to playoff teams ready to compete, Boston wasn't on either of their lists.

We may have had a shot at guys like Harris and Monroe, but Orlando was always going to be able to offer Harris more money, so it just took them deciding they wanted to spend it and we were done. With Monroe, does he really move the needle for us? He would be a legit post scorer but he's not a defensive acnhor and he doesn't change the culture for us, long term.

I'd rather pick up a nice vet on a short term deal, like Amir Johnson, and keep our options open than lock into a second-tier free agent that's going to keep us a solid 5-seed in the East for the next 4 years.
TP for you.   8)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
You need to have some interesting talent already on your team in order to attract notable free agents.  Cap space isn't going to be very much use -- especially since everybody will have it for the next couple of years -- until the Celts get some talent on the roster.
I don't think that's true.
If you approach 3 superstars  all entering free agency and say 'come to the greatest franchise in the NBA,  you'll all get paid and you'll be challenging/beating Lebron for titles' then that's a pretty good sell.

Isaiah Thomas will be in their ear before free agency anyway like he is now.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 08:52:40 PM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
You need to have some interesting talent already on your team in order to attract notable free agents.  Cap space isn't going to be very much use -- especially since everybody will have it for the next couple of years -- until the Celts get some talent on the roster.

I agree for the most part, but somebody has to be that first interesting talent. I was very much hoping that that would've been Monroe. That he could have been convinced that at 25, with his skills, he would've been one of the focal points of the rebuild.

I wonder if he didn't fit Stevens' profile of a player Stevens desires for his system. I wonder if Ainge was told by Monroe's agent from the get-go, that he wasn't interested in Boston? I wonder if Ainge didn't like him or thought he could MAYBE "do better" with all his "cap flexibility". I'd love to know the machinations of how that all played out.

I'm very disappointed that we didn't get the 25 year old big who runs the floor, bangs like hell underneath and is an excellent passer. I just don't get it.

EDIT: Four shooters around him, with him down-low would've been deadly. Sorry for the coulda, woulda, shouldas. I hate those.
Yes and that person is probably going to come from the draft. Since everyone agrees that we will have more cap space in a few years then why wait to sign talent....

We can efficiently use our core of role players, that just got us into playoffs, and sell high on them to multiple teams that have a prospect/s and picks in 2017 18 19. Then we can develop the prospects we have and have traded for AND draft prospects in the beginning of the lottery! Also, for the posters who want to wait to use cap space, we can use the space to help other teams create cap space AND GET EVEN MORE ASSETS.

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I don't think that's true.
If you approach 3 superstars  all entering free agency and say 'come to the greatest franchise in the NBA,  you'll all get paid and you'll be challenging/beating Lebron for titles' then that's a pretty good sell.

Isaiah Thomas will be in there ear before free agency anyway like he is now.
I like your optimism. I have that same optimism for my rebuilding plan.