Author Topic: Ainge is being disciplined and preserving our cap space for 2016 and 2017.  (Read 5278 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Just a friendly reminder that rebuilds take more than 2 years in most cases.
it's been less than 2 years since we traded the truth and KG.
There's a lot of talk about how the rising cap means we should be targeting guys now who's contracts will be 'value' in 3 or 4 years from now. That's fair enough, but it's a double edged sword, because signing those guys now makes it harder to create a 'super team' when the cap spikes to $108 million, which I believe is Ainge's plan.

When the following players are free agents, a maximum contract for a player with 7-9 years experience should be at least $30 million dollars. A 10 year veteran will command around $33 million a year.

Danny's next big targets...?

2016 unrestricted free agents or player with player options:
Mike Conley
DeMar DeRozan
Kevin Durant
Chandler Parsons

2017-18 notables/ targets all unrestricted. So take $108 million and have some fun....
Russell Westbrook
Blake Griffin
Dwight howard
steph curry
serge Ibaka
Iggy
Jeff teague
pau gasol
Zach Randolph
derrick rose

Edit..for some reason the site I was using has Cousins in 16-17', but he's 18-19 UFA.
Remember that winning championships is about the long haul!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 11:53:25 AM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Realistically, derozan or parsons.  The rest... :P

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Realistically, derozan or parsons.  The rest... :P

If we are saving money for those 2 then we really are in trouble. We eventually need a BIG that plays inside and protects the rim. I mean according to all of the people that are thrilled with our draft we have Rozier & Hunter so why would we save our money for Derozan & Parsons. Frankly, Parsons is not a superstar.

Offline JoeyAinge

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4
Cousins is on the Kings payroll till end of 17/18 season aka 18/19 free agency.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Cousins isn't a free agent until the summer of 2018, I believe.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Yeah, nobody else will have money. ::) Celtics can just pick whoever they choose. Heck, those free agents will be pounding on the door to get in. Like they always do.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
There's a lot of talk about how the rising cap means we should be targeting guys now who's contracts will be 'value' in 3 or 4 years from now. That's fair enough, but it's a double edged sword, because signing those guys now makes it harder to create a 'super team' when the cap spikes to $108 million, which I believe is Ainge's plan.

When the following players are free agents, a maximum contract for a player with 7-9 years experience should be at least $30 million dollars. A 10 year veteran will command around $33 million a year.

Demarcus Cousins
Mike Conley
DeMar DeRozan
Kevin Durant
Chandler Parsons

2017-18 notables/ targets all unrestricted. So take $108 million and have some fun....
Russell Westbrook
Blake Griffin
Dwight howard
steph curry
serge Ibaka
Iggy
Jeff teague
pau gasol
Zach Randolph
derrick rose

I get your point, but there is nothing super in 2017 about a 37 year old Pau Gasol, 35 year old Zach Randolph or 33 year old Iggy with 13 years worth of mileage on him.If that is fun heaven help me ;)

Offline GryphMinuteMan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 7
I would add Al Horford to the 2016 list. Although it's highly unlikely we could sign him it would be great to get him.

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
So... every one else will have a ton of space, too, and we don't sign FAs. So... what are you saying? I think you forgot the punch line.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

Demarcus Cousins
Mike Conley
DeMar DeRozan
Kevin Durant
Chandler Parsons

Russell Westbrook
Blake Griffin
Dwight howard
steph curry
serge Ibaka
Iggy
Jeff teague
pau gasol
Zach Randolph
derrick rose

Demarcus Cousins has 3 more years on his contract.  He won't be a free agent until 2018/2019.  Those lists don't look very good to me. 

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Ah yes, the masses being strung along for the ride.

Ainge isn't doing anything.

He hasn't signed anyone because no one wanted to come here.

Love, Aldridge and Jordan didn't even meet with the Celtics and I don't think Monroe did either.

But if you want to keep waiting and waiting and waiting for "Trader Danny" to "strike", be my guest.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
You need to have some interesting talent already on your team in order to attract notable free agents.  Cap space isn't going to be very much use -- especially since everybody will have it for the next couple of years -- until the Celts get some talent on the roster.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Everybody else will have some cap room in 2016 due to the cap rising. The only difference is they will have established players that can attract Free Agents and we don't.

Danny needs to get a star here, quick. Boston is not going to attract a Free Agent if all we could boast is Marcus Smart and Brad Stevens.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
You need to have some interesting talent already on your team in order to attract notable free agents.  Cap space isn't going to be very much use -- especially since everybody will have it for the next couple of years -- until the Celts get some talent on the roster.

I agree for the most part, but somebody has to be that first interesting talent. I was very much hoping that that would've been Monroe. That he could have been convinced that at 25, with his skills, he would've been one of the focal points of the rebuild.

I wonder if he didn't fit Stevens' profile of a player Stevens desires for his system. I wonder if Ainge was told by Monroe's agent from the get-go, that he wasn't interested in Boston? I wonder if Ainge didn't like him or thought he could MAYBE "do better" with all his "cap flexibility". I'd love to know the machinations of how that all played out.

I'm very disappointed that we didn't get the 25 year old big who runs the floor, bangs like hell underneath and is an excellent passer. I just don't get it.

EDIT: Four shooters around him, with him down-low would've been deadly. Sorry for the coulda, woulda, shouldas. I hate those.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 01:06:59 PM by csfansince60s »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

Exactly so we have to PRAY our players get better/strike gold in the draft/trade well because none of those players are coming here as of right now.