Sullinger, Young, Mavs 1st, Celtics 1st 2017 for Randle

Absolutely
7 (11.9%)
No way
46 (78%)
I would without the Celtics pick
6 (10.2%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Author Topic: Poll: Would you trade this for Randle  (Read 9789 times)

Re: Poll: Would you trade this for Randle
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2015, 09:32:30 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
No, because I'm not that high on Randle.  Seems like best case he turns into a rich man's Carl Landry or maybe a slightly better David Lee.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2015, 09:39:33 PM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Randle has a chance to be better than anyone on our team, including Smart, but I'm going to say no for one very obvious reason:  The 2017 Celtic pick might be top 3.   Can't do it.   We'll probably be tanking by then after we realize we are stuck in a perpetual rut of mediocrity and Brad bails for a prestige NCAA program.

And Smart has a chance to be better than Randle. He has a better chance than vice versa, actually. If the Celts were offered Randle for Smart straight up they'd laugh and hang up the phone.

Yup, he was incredibly hyped coming out of high school and then was passed over for Exum, Gordon, and Smart for a reason.  His one post move he had at Kentucky was very blockable.  He had trouble with tall defenders which he will see every game in the NBA.
Boston almost took Randle over Smart.  They recognized that Randle had more talent.  They took Smart for a few reasons...

#1 - Smart had more fire and they thought he could develop into something more
#2 - They already had 80 power forwards on the roster and adding Randle would be redundant with two of their "best" young assets in Sully and Olynyk. 
#3 - I think Ainge knew Rondo was out the door at this point whether they wanted to admit it or not.  Exum was off the board.  Smart was who was left.  The team also probably considered they still had a long-shot chance at acquiring Kevin Love... so best case scenario they could keep Rondo and trade Smart in a package for Love.  Worst-case scenario, they had their Rondo replacement. 

His injury knocks him down in trade value... right now... but again, I wouldn't be shocked if Randle ends up better than every player on this team.  I think Ainge recognizes that... which is why Boston reportedly tried to acquire Randle using Rondo later in the year in spite of his injury.   People dogging on Randle right now are just trying to retcon the storyline.

There were plenty of people dogging Randle last year too.  I remeber a lot of people here liked Vonleh over him.  Chad Ford even had Randle falling to #10.  It isn't revisionist history.

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2015, 09:45:15 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
No, because I'm not that high on Randle.  Seems like best case he turns into a rich man's Carl Landry or maybe a slightly better David Lee.

I think he's the closest to a young Antoine Walker that I've seen.

And if anyone remembers young Antoine Walker knows that's anything but a knock.

Still, that trade offer from the OP is way too much.

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2015, 09:58:13 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Weirdest  comparisons ever. Carl Landry No. David Lee? Well Yes he's a good player, smarter Higher BBIQ than Randle, But Physically it's not even close, 37" Vertical in the Lakers workout, His Speed, quickness, Unreal strength and explosive spin moves, not to mention his insane ball handling for a big guy. If you liked Draymond Green grabbing a rebound and going end to end wait to you see this kid this year.

Best Comp is a young Zach Randolph with a 37" vertical. Kid has so much upside, surprised more people can't see it.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 10:05:00 PM by KG Living Legend »

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2015, 10:04:34 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Here you get a great look at his jumper at 30 seconds in. Dissect it if you wish.

For all the people that complain about non athletic PF's he's not that.

https://youtu.be/YWP6Nh2yFFM

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2015, 10:04:41 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Wildebeest comparisons ever. Carl Landry No. David Lee? Well Yes he's a good player, smarter Higher BBIQ than Randle, But Physically it's not even close, 37" Vertical in the Lakers workout, His Speed, quickness, Unreal strength and explosive spin moves, not to mention his insane ball handling for a big guy. If you liked Draymond Green grabbing a rebound and going end to end wait to you see this kid this year.

Best Comp is a young Zach Randolph with a 37" vertical. Kid has so much upside, surprised more people can't see it.

He'll have to develop his back to the basket game A LOT to become Zach Randolph.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2015, 10:10:13 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Yeah but it's already good, and Zach never had his quickness.

https://youtu.be/iFhIaqn_W_k

I would love to see this in Green.

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2015, 10:14:45 PM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

Here you get a great look at his jumper at 30 seconds in. Dissect it if you wish.

For all the people that complain about non athletic PF's he's not that.

https://youtu.be/YWP6Nh2yFFM

I'm not sure how much you can rely on a video to gauge a jump shot.  He only made 17% of his jump shots at Kentucky.  I'm sure he'll improve, but that's a very low starting point.

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2015, 10:16:57 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

I found the problem with the Zach comparison and it's actually wingspan. Randle is only 6'11" while Zach is reported to be around 7'4" although draftexpress does not have the numbers that seems a little long.

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2015, 10:17:56 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

I'm just talking about mechanics. Doesn't it at least look good?

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2015, 10:20:17 PM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

I'm just talking about mechanics. Doesn't it at least look good?

Yeah, it does.

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2015, 10:28:01 PM »

Offline BraxVitto

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
Don't even need to read what we are trading, I don't want another undersized PF who is not athletic. May as well just stick with sully and not trade away assets to get a second sully.

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2015, 10:32:30 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
Don't even need to read what we are trading, I don't want another undersized PF who is not athletic. May as well just stick with sully and not trade away assets to get a second sully.

WHat are you talking about not athletic?? Geesh, have you seen him play, he's a rocket of a PF. Sully couldn't even run with him, let alone Jump. Sully jumped 31" at the combine, Randle 35.5" and in the lakers workout he jumped 37" and if you have seen him dunk in transition then you would know.

Seems like such a nice kid though. Great character.

https://youtu.be/DEaJEP0-JSs

« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2015, 10:37:51 PM »

Offline sawick48

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
voted for would without our own 1st in there, but the trade would never happen were that the case, you know LA would need a high pick back as by all accounts they hold this kid in high regard (as they should).  the main reason though is that i don't want to be the team that pays Sullinger the $12-15M per year he's going to command after this season.  would love to see him dealt for an asset at some point this season

« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2015, 10:39:40 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
i would do it. I don't really want to trade our 2017 pick though, but i would gladly give up anyone else on our roster other than Marcus Smart.

Sully+Young+Mavs pick+IT? Crowder? who would they want?

I think a Smart+Randle tandem gives us a pretty good core to work with.
- LilRip