Sullinger, Young, Mavs 1st, Celtics 1st 2017 for Randle

Absolutely
7 (11.9%)
No way
46 (78%)
I would without the Celtics pick
6 (10.2%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Author Topic: Poll: Would you trade this for Randle  (Read 9756 times)

Re: Poll: Would you trade this for Randle
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2015, 12:46:07 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
If anyone says no, it's the Lakers, not the Celtics.

Building our team around Smart and Randle would be a VERY nice future core for the Celtics.

I think Randle is going to be a special player and was hoping we'd draft either him OR Smart, last year.

In fact if I am not mistaken, it was reported Ainge likely would've drafted him but he didn't show up for one of his workouts with the Celtics.

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2015, 12:55:13 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I'm not sure I would give up any one of those pieces for Randle.  He's a guy that had no mid range jump shot and relied on his strength to score in the paint in college.  That's not going to work in the NBA.  He has no right hand and very limited moves in the post. 
agreed.  not to mention he was known to be lacking on the defensive end in college too.  if Sully and KO are getting knocked for their D, the criticism of this kid would take it to a new level.

I don't get the fascination for Randle.  I just don't

I don't get the fascination for James Young

It's because of his youth and raw ability.  His talent could potentially translate well in the NBA.  Length, athleticism, and shooting ability.  He also showed a fearlessness at Kentucky. During the NCAA tournament.  Whether or not he reaches his potential will largely depend on his work ethic. 

Randle, while the better college player, has obvious limitations to his game.

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2015, 12:56:34 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
God no. It wouldn't shock me at all if every single one of those things turns out better than Randle. And I like Randle.

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2015, 01:08:59 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
randle doesnt play defense. that was a big, big knock on his game in college.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2015, 01:10:48 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
If anyone says no, it's the Lakers, not the Celtics.

Building our team around Smart and Randle would be a VERY nice future core for the Celtics.

I think Randle is going to be a special player and was hoping we'd draft either him OR Smart, last year.

In fact if I am not mistaken, it was reported Ainge likely would've drafted him but he didn't show up for one of his workouts with the Celtics.

Not even close; he'll probably never be better than Sully alone.

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2015, 01:14:22 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
No, absolutely not. In a re-draft, Randle might not be selected in the lottery. Scouts' worst fears about him were confirmed when he went down the whole season. I like him as a person and a player, but he has just as many health risks as Joel Embiid and isn't anywhere close the talent.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2015, 01:20:26 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Randle has a chance to be better than anyone on our team, including Smart, but I'm going to say no for one very obvious reason:  The 2017 Celtic pick might be top 3.   Can't do it.   We'll probably be tanking by then after we realize we are stuck in a perpetual rut of mediocrity and Brad bails for a prestige NCAA program.

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2015, 01:49:37 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Randle has a chance to be better than anyone on our team, including Smart, but I'm going to say no for one very obvious reason:  The 2017 Celtic pick might be top 3.   Can't do it.   We'll probably be tanking by then after we realize we are stuck in a perpetual rut of mediocrity and Brad bails for a prestige NCAA program.

Sad, isn't it?

That that's where our future could be headed the next couple years

I also wouldn't be surprised if Brad leaves after next season if we end up sucking.

I wouldn't want to deal with this anymore

The silver lining to that: We wouldn't have to listen to posters question whether a really good free agent is a "Brad Stevens guy or not."

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2015, 08:51:01 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

The only main concern for me about randle is the injuries, this guy has 20 ppg potential no doubt, can you say that about any other guy we have.

I'll bring up Karl Malone here will Julius be that good no, but if he can get that midrange jumper down you can't guard him, can't you guys see that in his game. He's so quick and agrresive if he gets that shot it's game over.

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2015, 08:59:42 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff

And Smart has a chance to be better than Randle. He has a better chance than vice versa, actually. If the Celts were offered Randle for Smart straight up they'd laugh and hang up the phone.

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2015, 09:08:55 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

And Smart has a chance to be better than Randle. He has a better chance than vice versa, actually. If the Celts were offered Randle for Smart straight up they'd laugh and hang up the phone.

Yup, he was incredibly hyped coming out of high school and then was passed over for Exum, Gordon, and Smart for a reason.  His one post move he had at Kentucky was very blockable.  He had trouble with tall defenders which he will see every game in the NBA.

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2015, 09:20:49 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Yup, he was incredibly hyped coming out of high school and then was passed over for Exum, Gordon, and Smart for a reason.  His one post move he had at Kentucky was very blockable.  He had trouble with tall defenders which he will see every game in the NBA.
Boston almost took Randle over Smart.  They recognized that Randle had more talent.  They took Smart for a few reasons...

#1 - Smart had more fire and they thought he could develop into something more
#2 - They already had 80 power forwards on the roster and adding Randle would be redundant with two of their "best" young assets in Sully and Olynyk. 
#3 - I think Ainge knew Rondo was out the door at this point whether they wanted to admit it or not.  Exum was off the board.  Smart was who was left.  The team also probably considered they still had a long-shot chance at acquiring Kevin Love... so best case scenario they could keep Rondo and trade Smart in a package for Love.  Worst-case scenario, they had their Rondo replacement. 

His injury knocks him down in trade value... right now... but again, I wouldn't be shocked if Randle ends up better than every player on this team.  I think Ainge recognizes that... which is why Boston reportedly tried to acquire Randle using Rondo later in the year in spite of his injury.   People dogging on Randle right now are just trying to retcon the storyline.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 09:26:06 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2015, 09:27:25 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
i saw this claim last year too. he is still here and knew what he was getting into when he signed for 6 years. other than playing chicken little, i dont see a shred of evidence that CBS suddenly realized he is on a rebuilding team, is unhappy to discover this, and wants to jump ship.

want to bet a tp on whether he jumps ship next season? glad to do so.

and he obviously prefers winning and playoffs over tanking, so he cant be surprised or disappointed the celtics didnt land a better draft choice. he was the reason.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2015, 09:30:26 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
There's no retconning that Randle is kind of small at his position and Smart is kinda big at his and has exceptional athleticism that Randle will never have.

There's also no retconning that at the moment Smart has far more experience and that Smart will be essentially the #1 option on his team, whereas Randle is #4 on a good day until Kobe gets hurt.

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2015, 09:31:14 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff

Boston almost took Randle over Smart.  They recognized that Randle had more talent.  They took Smart for a few reasons...

#1 - Smart had more fire and they thought he could develop into something more
#2 - They already had 80 power forwards on the roster and adding Randle would be redundant with two of their "best" young assets in Sully and Olynyk. 
#3 - I think Ainge knew Rondo was out the door at this point whether they wanted to admit it or not.  Exum was off the board.  Smart was who was left.  The team also probably considered they still had a long-shot chance at acquiring Kevin Love... so best case scenario they could keep Rondo and trade Smart in a package for Love.  Worst-case scenario, they had their Rondo replacement. 

His injury knocks him down in trade value... right now... but again, I wouldn't be shocked if Randle ends up better than every player on this team.  I think Ainge recognizes that... which is why Boston reportedly tried to acquire Randle using Rondo later in the year in spite of his injury.   People dogging on Randle right now are just trying to retcon the storyline.

I don't have a problem with acquiring Randle, apparently I just think his price should be lower than you think. I would offer Sullinger and the Dallas 1st at most.