Author Topic: Terry Rozier  (Read 8372 times)

Re: Terry Rozier
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2015, 03:05:40 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
At least we finally have a point guard who can handle the ball.
Besides Pressey.

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2015, 03:17:28 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Cards fan here..followed his recruitment as well.

Rozier had to play that Pitino pressing defense with very little rest. Backup PGrarely played until Chris Jones got dismissed.

Chris Jones as the PG was selfish and pounded the air out of the ball until he was eventually dismissed near the end of the season

Offense stagnated until two games prior to the ACC tournament.

Ball movement was better when Chris Jones wasn't usually the main ball handler - Russ Smith (and to a lesser extent Hancock) facilitated in 13-14. With CJ as starting PG, shots were of poor quality for the most part. Offense was a lot of passing back and forth on the perimeter.

Pitino revamped the offense at the end of the season because the team's shooting/scoring was so awful. It worked as they came close to a Final Four.

The team was not a good shooting team. Terrible floor spacing. Lots of shots jacked up at the end of the shot clock.

Team offense was painful and predictable to watch until Chris Jones left and Quentin Snider stepped in as PG, as he is a willing passer and not a black hole like CJ.

He's not a great shooter, but I don't think his 3PT percentage last year is a big deal given circumstances. His percentage was affected by the shots he had to force with the way the team struggled to score. Pitino gave him a green light unlike his freshman year. I don't see Rozier taking many contested 3PT shots or being constantly trapped/doubled for the near future.

I'm more worried about him getting banged up with his reckless drives to the basket. He took some nasty spills.

He had trouble finishing his layups and bunnies. Mid range game is money though.

Not concerned about his skills translating especially in the NBA's more open game.

Athleticism/explosiveness is there and can't be denied (rebounds/transition)

TP. Thanks for the input. I saw Pitino a lot when he was in Providence (and later in Boston). Innovative coach, surprised he didn't change things up earlier this season then.  He was too impatient for the pro game. Can't turnover your squad every year like you can in college, but he tried.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 04:12:29 AM by colincb »

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2015, 03:23:45 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I like everything I've heard about and seen of him, but some level as Mudiay!? Holy green goggles, bruh.

Maybe the same level as Smoodiay, his 18 year old cousin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nANZMCKTlNE
LOL Smoodiay
This is what I see and I am not an expert or wearing green goggles, please tell me if you see things differently.
First Rozier is the better ball handler, maybe a lot better.
Second, Rozier is the quicker and more agile prospect.
Third, Rozier is better ,with the ball, at changing directions and creating space. He is more than likely to be better at changing directions and creating space without the ball too; this would be hard to determine quickly but the best way would be for Mudiay to do the shuttle"reactionary" test and lane agility, sprint, vertical; I think Mudiay has a high vertical.
Rozier is also a better shooter. But Mudiay could make strides in his shooting bc he is younger.

So Theres no way for me or most of us to know, except possibly with the eye test. Why the eye test? Because the shuttle drill, lane agility drill, sprint for example are performed without a basketball. Thats why many of these tests, shuttle drill mostly, can raise a red flag if someone does not have acceptable ball handling .

Anyways, Mudiay is younger than Rozier and could make strides of progress in both skill and physical development. They both have the same wingspan basically and Mudiay has an inch and a half more of standing reach.

I'm tired, and not making sense in my head right now. But I am happy we got Rozier, and if I had the 7th pick I would have selected someone else and tried to grab Rozier later in the round if I needed a point guard.

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2015, 08:52:09 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I have a feeling Rozier will end up being our starting point guard.
Reminds me of Mark Jackson.

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2015, 09:19:38 AM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
doesn't look like he can shoot.   Eh... I'm skeptical of his ability to make any impact.  Maybe he'll get a few minutes though.

Whaddya mean? I watched that clip -- he shot 100 percent. So did Smart, for that matter ...

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2015, 09:47:32 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Rozier is exactly the kind of player Ainge knows he can scout.  When Ainge likes a guy with Rozier's skill profile, that guy can probably contribute at the NBA level.

I expect that he'll be pretty decent all-around and get minutes right away.  I doubt he'll ever be too much more than that, though.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2015, 09:50:55 AM »

Offline JoeyAinge

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4
Watched his DX yesterday, was pretty impressed he has some very long arms. Gets to the paint easily and finishes with layups every time ... That's a positive n negative, but he is a point. I could see Danny getting rid of Avery and starting him at point Smart at the 2 by years end. He should get playing time his defense is pesty.

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2015, 09:53:49 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Besides Pressey.
He's a small SG who was forced to play PG as a sophomore.  He only had 3 assists in 35min. 

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2015, 09:56:15 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Besides Pressey.
He's a small SG who was forced to play PG as a sophomore.  He only had 3 assists in 35min.

Half the starting point guards in the NBA now are "small SGs forced to play PG"
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2015, 10:07:01 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
This kid is going to shusizzle this year!!  Do the kids still say that? ????

Keeping it 100 though - I think he will be 2nd team All Rookie, similar to Marcus' rookie campaign.  Especially after Avery gets traded at the deadline.

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2015, 11:16:56 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Mark Jackson was one of the slowest PG's in the history of the NBA. Rozier is just the opposite. 

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2015, 11:49:36 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Well right now I still hate the pick but I hope the kid is a beast. :D

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2015, 02:49:00 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
The team needs a legit PG who can get to the basket. Rozier needs every opportunity to become that player.

It would be interesting to know if the Celtics knew  he would not be there at 28 to possibly take Dekker or Portis first?

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2015, 06:26:16 PM »

Offline GryphMinuteMan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 7

Don't mean to be an A but that's quite possibly the worst comparison I've ever heard.

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2015, 06:31:12 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
doesn't look like he can shoot.   Eh... I'm skeptical of his ability to make any impact.  Maybe he'll get a few minutes though.

Message saved for future reference  ;D