Author Topic: Summer League Predictions for the Celtics  (Read 10262 times)

Summer League Predictions for the Celtics
« on: July 03, 2015, 10:46:14 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
Prediction #1:

RJ Hunter becomes the best player on the Celtics summer league roster.

Prediction #2:

Smart struggles again like last year.

Prediction #2:

Young and Hunter both start and become a dangerous shooting combo in Summer League.

Prediction #3:

Terry Rozier ends up starting over Smart a couple of games.

Prediction #4:

Phil Pressey barely gets any minutes.

Prediction #5:

Jonathan Holmes impresses more than Jordan Mickey.

Re: Summer League Predictions for the Celtics
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 10:57:29 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I take it you are not a fan of Smart.  He will dominate the Summer League.  I'm surprised he's playing as I really don't see the purpose.

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 11:01:01 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I take it you are not a fan of Smart.  He will dominate the Summer League.  I'm surprised he's playing as I really don't see the purpose.
there is more to smart than points, and some people just don't see it. Can't blame them though, casual fans don't know much about defensive impact on the court.

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 11:01:35 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Prediction #1:

Prediction #2:

Prediction #2:

Young and Hunter both start and become a dangerous shooting combo in Summer League.

Prediction #3:

Prediction #4:

Prediction #5:

For the sake of my DKC squad, I hope you're right. I've been high on his abilities and how versatile he can be. To me it comes down to his 3 point shooting and offensive rebounding. His energy will be there as he's a high motor kid, but if he hits three's consistently and can grab offensive rebounds, he'll definitely have a roster spot.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 11:20:50 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Prediction #1:

Prediction #2:

Prediction #2:

Prediction #3:

Prediction #4:

Prediction #5:

#1:  agreed
#2:  young struggles but eventually improves as the league progresses
#3.  Smart will take it easy and rozier will get minutes.  Smart will be average by his own choice
#4. Pressey is trade bait
#5 agreed

I'm just glad it's Vegas.  The camera angles/ presentation is so much better

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 01:05:06 AM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
there is more to smart than points, and some people just don't see it. Can't blame them though, casual fans don't know much about defensive impact on the court.

Can you name me one stat or measurement about Marcus Smart that tells me that he will be anything more than an average NBA role player? He's only above average defensively. Of course to this you will say, "He's a rookie?", but to you I ask have you ever seen a starting NBA point guard without the ability to run an offense and for that matter not be able to handle a basketball adequately? I would say no to that. I'm not sure if you've even watched Marcus Smart if you believe that he will be a superstar or even a star for that matter. Or at least you have not been watching objectively.

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 01:47:50 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Can you name me one stat or measurement about Marcus Smart that tells me that he will be anything more than an average NBA role player? He's only above average defensively. Of course to this you will say, "He's a rookie?", but to you I ask have you ever seen a starting NBA point guard without the ability to run an offense and for that matter not be able to handle a basketball adequately? I would say no to that. I'm not sure if you've even watched Marcus Smart if you believe that he will be a superstar or even a star for that matter. Or at least you have not been watching objectively.

Do you remember Chauncey billups? He was so horrible his rookie year, and he turned into mister big shot after we traded him, don't give up yet...

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 01:50:41 AM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

Still younger than half of this years entire NBA draft class. There's your stat.

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 02:00:05 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
i hope Smart is dominant in the first few games, and then sits out the rest of the summer league.

- LilRip

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 02:12:59 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
i hope Smart is dominant in the first few games, and then sits out the rest of the summer league.

Agreed 100%. That and Young showing out (as much as you can in Bummer League) is all I am hopeful for. All this talk, man... the dude has to come on such a weak stage.

Would be nice to see a surprise showing from a Rook, but not life-changing.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2015, 02:19:41 AM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
Rozier will impress everyone. Marcus and him will terrorize the opposing backcourt.

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2015, 02:21:05 AM »

Offline GzUP617

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 12
I take it you are not a fan of Smart. He will dominate the Summer League.  I'm surprised he's playing as I really don't see the purpose.

??? Literally nothing he's done with the Celtics indicates this.  Quite the opposite really.

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2015, 02:23:48 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I take it you are not a fan of Smart. He will dominate the Summer League.  I'm surprised he's playing as I really don't see the purpose.

??? Literally nothing he's done with the Celtics indicates this.  Quite the opposite really.
Lol

Smart was a top 30 player in the summer league last year.  Averaged 15, 4 and 4 on 33% shooting.   He wasn't penetrating... just chucking up shots and he can't really shoot.

He'll struggle to "dominate" simply because, #1 - He's a bad offensive player and #2 - We have a bunch of other guards we'll be giving minutes to.    But if he got the minutes/touches, he'd probably be better than he was last year. 

I expect underwhelming stats from all of our summer league players.   They all basically play the same position... it will be hard for anyone to stand out. 

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2015, 10:10:43 AM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel

[Can you name me one stat or measurement about Marcus Smart that tells me that he will be anything more than an average NBA role player? He's only above average defensively. Of course to this you will say, "He's a rookie?", but to you I ask have you ever seen a starting NBA point guard without the ability to run an offense and for that matter not be able to handle a basketball adequately? I would say no to that. I'm not sure if you've even watched Marcus Smart if you believe that he will be a superstar or even a star for that matter. Or at least you have not been watching objectively.

Out of all guards, Marcus Smart tied for 2nd most offensive fouls drawn.

If he never improves, he will be an average NBA role player. I don't think it is irresponsible to expect moderate improvement.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2015, 10:33:13 AM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43

[Can you name me one stat or measurement about Marcus Smart that tells me that he will be anything more than an average NBA role player? He's only above average defensively. Of course to this you will say, "He's a rookie?", but to you I ask have you ever seen a starting NBA point guard without the ability to run an offense and for that matter not be able to handle a basketball adequately? I would say no to that. I'm not sure if you've even watched Marcus Smart if you believe that he will be a superstar or even a star for that matter. Or at least you have not been watching objectively.

Out of all guards, Marcus Smart tied for 2nd most offensive fouls drawn.

If he never improves, he will be an average NBA role player. I don't think it is irresponsible to expect moderate improvement.
I think it is very possible Smart is a below average scorer his entire career. Even with that, I could see him as a starter on a championship team for his defense and facilitation. I don't think he gets enough credit for his passing ability. He is less ball dominant than other PGs, and I thought last year advanced the ball via the pass early in possessions a lot (possibly due to shaky handle) to put the ball in a dangerous spot at the expense of getting an assist. I'm optimistic he can run an NBA offense down the line.

Those hoping Marcus is the 2nd coming of Dwyane Wade are living in fantasy land, but I really do believe he'll be a key cog on a winning team.