Author Topic: Summer League Predictions for the Celtics  (Read 10263 times)

Re: Summer League Predictions for the Celtics
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2015, 10:44:49 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I take it you are not a fan of Smart. He will dominate the Summer League.  I'm surprised he's playing as I really don't see the purpose.

??? Literally nothing he's done with the Celtics indicates this.  Quite the opposite really.
He was NBA all rookie 2nd team (and I assume some of the first teamers aren't playing). I would think he has a shot to be pretty decent in summer league.

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2015, 10:44:57 AM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
Why exactly did they add Pressey to the Summer League roster? He has no future with the team (or likely the NBA) and we need to give both Smart and Rozier heavy minutes at the point to help in the development process, not to mention Young and Hunter needing time at the 2.

Maybe Phil can be an assistant coach?

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2015, 10:54:23 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I take it you are not a fan of Smart.  He will dominate the Summer League.  I'm surprised he's playing as I really don't see the purpose.
there is more to smart than points, and some people just don't see it. Can't blame them though, casual fans don't know much about defensive impact on the court.

Can you name me one stat or measurement about Marcus Smart that tells me that he will be anything more than an average NBA role player? He's only above average defensively. Of course to this you will say, "He's a rookie?", but to you I ask have you ever seen a starting NBA point guard without the ability to run an offense and for that matter not be able to handle a basketball adequately? I would say no to that. I'm not sure if you've even watched Marcus Smart if you believe that he will be a superstar or even a star for that matter. Or at least you have not been watching objectively.
RPM http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/RPM/position/1 12th best pg (10th if you factor in for minimum games played to be eligable to nba awards)
The C's were 5.5 points per 100 possessions better with him on the court

His regular stats might not be great, but his advanced stats show that when he is on the court his team performs well, which is a great indicator for a rookie.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2015, 11:00:56 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I'm interested to see a couple of things:
1) how the back courts of Smart/Rozier and Smart/Hunter play out, and
2) if Young actually shows up.

But, please God, let Smart go out there and just dominate to give us a brief break for the summer from all of this irrational hate for him on CB...

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2015, 11:03:07 AM »

Offline GzUP617

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 12
I take it you are not a fan of Smart. He will dominate the Summer League.  I'm surprised he's playing as I really don't see the purpose.

??? Literally nothing he's done with the Celtics indicates this.  Quite the opposite really.
He was NBA all rookie 2nd team (and I assume some of the first teamers aren't playing). I would think he has a shot to be pretty decent in summer league.

Now this is more realistic.

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2015, 11:03:28 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
My prediction
1. Smart plays well, he doesn't score a lot but runs the offense well and gets assists. Showing the coaches he can be counted upon as the lead ball handler.

2. Hunter and Young make it rain.

3. Mickey blocks a lot of shots and has some great dunks

4. Early on, Pressey gets heavy minutes because they are trying to improve his trade value/give him the ability to catch on with another team before he gets cut on/before the 15th.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2015, 03:49:46 AM »

Offline YeezusChrist

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
I'm really hyped for summer league and its only 1 day away.

My predictions are:

1. Marcus shows off his ability to drive and power through defenders

2. Marcus shows off his ball handling and ability to set shooters up after collapsing the defense

3. James Young and RJ Hunter become 2 lethal shooters that rain down 3's

4. James Young and RJ Hunter both show they can guard competently on the perimeter

5. James Young shows off a flashy dunk with his new athleticism on a fastbreak

6. James Young and RJ Hunter are very weak with their post D

7. James Young and RJ Hunter struggle with ball handling which leads to a few turnovers

8. Terry Rozier struggles shooting the ball

9. Terry Rozier is able to get to the basket at will and shows off flashy dunks

10. Marcus Smart and Terry Rozier lockdown opposing guards when on the floor

11. Jordan Mickey records over 3 blocks a game

12. Jordan Mickey struggles with everything on the offensive side

And at lucky number 13...

13. Terry Rozier starts a fast break by jumping a passing lane, passes to marcus up court who throws a lob to James Young who slams it home!!  8) ;D

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2015, 04:02:13 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
I take it you are not a fan of Smart.  He will dominate the Summer League.  I'm surprised he's playing as I really don't see the purpose.
there is more to smart than points, and some people just don't see it. Can't blame them though, casual fans don't know much about defensive impact on the court.

Can you name me one stat or measurement about Marcus Smart that tells me that he will be anything more than an average NBA role player? He's only above average defensively. Of course to this you will say, "He's a rookie?", but to you I ask have you ever seen a starting NBA point guard without the ability to run an offense and for that matter not be able to handle a basketball adequately? I would say no to that. I'm not sure if you've even watched Marcus Smart if you believe that he will be a superstar or even a star for that matter. Or at least you have not been watching objectively.
RPM http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/RPM/position/1 12th best pg (10th if you factor in for minimum games played to be eligable to nba awards)

His regular stats might not be great, but his advanced stats show that when he is on the court his team performs well, which is a great indicator for a rookie.

Smart is a combo guard who they're trying to make an PG. Should it turn out he needs a ball-handling 2 next to him (Rozier) or at the 2 himself, it doesn't really effect his long term outlook

And objectively, Smart isn't "just above average" defensively. He's one of the best defensive rookies this league has seen in some time. He's excellent on that end, soon to be elite.

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2015, 04:27:31 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

[Can you name me one stat or measurement about Marcus Smart that tells me that he will be anything more than an average NBA role player? He's only above average defensively. Of course to this you will say, "He's a rookie?", but to you I ask have you ever seen a starting NBA point guard without the ability to run an offense and for that matter not be able to handle a basketball adequately? I would say no to that. I'm not sure if you've even watched Marcus Smart if you believe that he will be a superstar or even a star for that matter. Or at least you have not been watching objectively.

Out of all guards, Marcus Smart tied for 2nd most offensive fouls drawn.

If he never improves, he will be an average NBA role player. I don't think it is irresponsible to expect moderate improvement.
I think it is very possible Smart is a below average scorer his entire career. Even with that, I could see him as a starter on a championship team for his defense and facilitation. I don't think he gets enough credit for his passing ability. He is less ball dominant than other PGs, and I thought last year advanced the ball via the pass early in possessions a lot (possibly due to shaky handle) to put the ball in a dangerous spot at the expense of getting an assist. I'm optimistic he can run an NBA offense down the line.

Those hoping Marcus is the 2nd coming of Dwyane Wade are living in fantasy land, but I really do believe he'll be a key cog on a winning team.
The 2 things I keep saying about Smart:
1. He needs to improve his ball handling
2. He needs to lose body fat and improve his agility(speed, shuttle, sprint, explosiveness)

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2015, 04:59:10 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I posted the following 3 weeks ago. If you go down to the "Advanced" section in the links  provided and look at BPM (Box +/-) and VORP, you'd see that Smart performed very well.  These advanced stats aren't perfect, but they're supposedly good at predicting NBA success.

===

The following is a comparison of the top names for the last three drafts leaving out Anthony Davis who was supposed to be and has proven to be a franchise player. As I posted elsewhere, Smart was the top rookie going into and coming out of 2014's draft on advanced stats like Box +/- and VORP stacks up as superior on such stats to most of them. Advanced stats aren't perfect, but they put a player in better perspective as a two-way player who's not just jacking up shots on a bad team and not playing much D or incapable of doing so.  Only Mirotic topped him in last year’s rookie class, but he was a pro for 6 years in the top league outside the NBA:

http://bkref.com/tiny/yUqg9
http://bkref.com/tiny/4LKnJ
http://bkref.com/tiny/gUDjw

Despite the claim that Smart is  a so-so role player by some here, the stats tell a different story. Who knows how he turns out, but I expect he’ll end up as one of the best out of his draft class based on his first year.

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2015, 05:26:56 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I posted the following 3 weeks ago. If you go down to the "Advanced" section in the links  provided and look at BPM (Box +/-) and VORP, you'd see that Smart performed very well.  These advanced stats aren't perfect, but they're supposedly good at predicting NBA success.

===

The following is a comparison of the top names for the last three drafts leaving out Anthony Davis who was supposed to be and has proven to be a franchise player. As I posted elsewhere, Smart was the top rookie going into and coming out of 2014's draft on advanced stats like Box +/- and VORP stacks up as superior on such stats to most of them. Advanced stats aren't perfect, but they put a player in better perspective as a two-way player who's not just jacking up shots on a bad team and not playing much D or incapable of doing so.  Only Mirotic topped him in last year’s rookie class, but he was a pro for 6 years in the top league outside the NBA:

Despite the claim that Smart is  a so-so role player by some here, the stats tell a different story. Who knows how he turns out, but I expect he’ll end up as one of the best out of his draft class based on his first year.
He will be better thanwhat he did in college when he gets better ball handling and quicker/more explosive/loses body fat

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2015, 08:03:58 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Prediction #1:

RJ Hunter becomes the best player on the Celtics summer league roster.

Prediction #2:

Smart struggles again like last year.

Prediction #2:

Young and Hunter both start and become a dangerous shooting combo in Summer League.

Prediction #3:

Terry Rozier ends up starting over Smart a couple of games.

Prediction #4:

Phil Pressey barely gets any minutes.

Prediction #5:

Jonathan Holmes impresses more than Jordan Mickey.

#1:  agreed
#2:  young struggles but eventually improves as the league progresses
#3.  Smart will take it easy and rozier will get minutes.  Smart will be average by his own choice
#4. Pressey is trade bait
#5 agreed

I'm just glad it's Vegas.  The camera angles/ presentation is so much better

"Smart will be average by his own choice"

Talk about some positive, pre-emptive spin!

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2015, 08:09:25 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas

===

Hey, if we're going to play this game, how about a comparison with the most underrated player on this board?

http://bkref.com/tiny/JrtjR

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2015, 08:09:40 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Prediction #1:

RJ Hunter becomes the best player on the Celtics summer league roster.

Prediction #2:

Smart struggles again like last year.

Prediction #2:

Young and Hunter both start and become a dangerous shooting combo in Summer League.

Prediction #3:

Terry Rozier ends up starting over Smart a couple of games.

Prediction #4:

Phil Pressey barely gets any minutes.

Prediction #5:

Jonathan Holmes impresses more than Jordan Mickey.
1. I think it will be Young but hoping Hunter looks really good.
2. I think they'll both look good
3. Rozier may get some starts to see what he can do but Smart will look better than last year and Rozier
4. Pressey will be a non-factor -- auditioning for a spot on another team
5. agreed.  Triboy will be crushed and find some reason to explain why Mickey is the better player

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2015, 08:11:23 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas

Smart is a combo guard who they're trying to make an PG. Should it turn out he needs a ball-handling 2 next to him (Rozier) or at the 2 himself, it doesn't really effect his long term outlook

And objectively, Smart isn't "just above average" defensively. He's one of the best defensive rookies this league has seen in some time. He's excellent on that end, soon to be elite.

Yes. but Smart makes for some tricky matchups so far: 1) he's needed ET, a so-so SF, to handle the ball for him and 2) he's needed AB, a so-so SG, to defend the faster PGs that he faces.

Those concerns would be eliminated if Smart could play well at the 2 and Rozier, the 1.

We'll see.