Author Topic: Tobias Harris agrees to four-year, $64M deal with the Orlando Magic  (Read 5619 times)

Re: Tobias Harris agrees to four-year, $64M deal with the Orlando Magic
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2015, 11:47:19 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Thanks DA for not signing harris for this type of money.  He's a decent player but not worth that deal.   
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2015, 11:47:26 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
So he'll be up for auction at the trade deadline, I guess.

Amir + Bradley + 2016 BRK 1st + 2016 DAL 1st

I'd start there.

Those are the two picks we're going to combine with our own to get someone better than Harris, or if not better, real good but cheaper...

Maybe even a big guy or pure SF with lots of upside...

I believe both picks will end up in the 12-20 range.  Picks of that nature were not enough to move up into the top 10 this year.  I don't expect any different next year.

We'd be lucky to get a talent like Harris in the top 10 of the draft, anyhow.  I'd gladly trade both picks to get a swing scorer like that for a relative bargain price.
i dont think charlotte's front office is indicative of all nba front offices. hard to extrapolate and generalize off a one time occurrence.

i am sure ainge can find a partner for those picks, and maybe more, to move up a few slots.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2015, 11:55:07 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I'd start there.

Why would the Cs want to give up assets for a guy who's not worth $16mil per year?!?!?
That makes no sense.

Because with the rising cap he's probably worth MORE than 16 million a year.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2015, 11:56:33 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I'd start there.

Those are the two picks we're going to combine with our own to get someone better than Harris, or if not better, real good but cheaper...

I believe both picks will end up in the 12-20 range.  Picks of that nature were not enough to move up into the top 10 this year.  I don't expect any different next year.

We'd be lucky to get a talent like Harris in the top 10 of the draft, anyhow.  I'd gladly trade both picks to get a swing scorer like that for a relative bargain price.
i dont think charlotte's front office is indicative of all nba front offices. hard to extrapolate and generalize off a one time occurrence.

i am sure ainge can find a partner for those picks, and maybe more, to move up a few slots.

But again, finding a talent like Harris with a top 10 pick, even if you can trade for one, is a couple ticks shy of the best case scenario.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2015, 12:07:02 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

I'd start there.

Sucks that the value of all these picks ceiling out at sweetener. Sticky place to be in, too... we lose them when we use them, and they'll likely be of more value as sweetener in a later and larger trade; on the other hand, a good opportunity to use them hasn't presented itself yet. Blahh.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2015, 12:13:26 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!

I'd start there.

If Ainge really wanted him he would have offered up a sign and trade. I wouldn't give up what you suggested for a tier 2 guy.

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2015, 12:19:10 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I'd start there.

If Ainge really wanted him he would have offered up a sign and trade. I wouldn't give up what you suggested for a tier 2 guy.

I don't think you can do sign and trades with RFAs like that.  Besides, Orlando will try to get a good half season, or maybe a full season, out of Harris and auction him off to teams eager for an upgrade.

Whenever Ainge trades for an upgrade, it's going to look like an overpay.  That's what happens when no single asset you have is particularly valuable.

Getting that first significant piece will be huge.  Especially if Smart turns into a decent scorer more in line with our hopes when he was drafted.  It would be worth an overpay to secure a piece like that.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2015, 12:29:43 AM »

Offline P stoff

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
What it must feel like to be Dallas...

lose Ellis, Rondo, Aminu and Chandler...   oh, no big deal

we'll just sign jordan, and Mathews ...will probably deal for Holiday or another decent pG to boot.

Wonder what that feels like....

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2015, 12:34:08 AM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum

I'd start there.

Why would the Cs want to give up assets for a guy who's not worth $16mil per year?!?!?
That makes no sense.

Because with the rising cap he's probably worth MORE than 16 million a year.

I don't care how much they raise the cap, he's still not worth 16 mil a year.
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2015, 12:45:22 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!

I'd start there.

I don't think you can do sign and trades with RFAs like that.  Besides, Orlando will try to get a good half season, or maybe a full season, out of Harris and auction him off to teams eager for an upgrade.

Whenever Ainge trades for an upgrade, it's going to look like an overpay.  That's what happens when no single asset you have is particularly valuable.

Getting that first significant piece will be huge.  Especially if Smart turns into a decent scorer more in line with our hopes when he was drafted.  It would be worth an overpay to secure a piece like that.

I wouldn't have given up more than a couple of 2nd rounders for him. He's a good young player but if the C's are going to overpay it [dang] well better be for a legit star.

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2015, 07:38:00 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
$16 million per year in a $108 million is equivalent to $9.4 million per year in a $63 million cap.

Tobias Harris is overpaid in first year of that deal. Then it turns into a good contract in his 2nd year and a bargain in his 3rd and 4th years of that contract.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 08:08:17 AM by Who »

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2015, 08:07:16 AM »

Offline GreenGoggles

• Jrue Holiday
Wow Johnson and Jerebko for 17 or Harris for 16??
Really disappointed in DA. Our team stood pat and signed role players.

So now we bank on the mythical big trade...but no one wants our picks.

Failure of an offseason if I ever saw one.

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2015, 08:17:23 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Thanks for playing, Restricted Free Agency.

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2015, 08:24:13 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Yeah, I think this is a good deal and would have rather seen that signing before the others.  If Danny had done this one first and the Magic match it, he could fall back.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2015, 08:29:29 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445

Well apparently we need Amir to replace bass and I do like jerebko so ::)