Author Topic: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5M deal with the Sacramento Kings  (Read 18367 times)

Re: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5M deal with the Sacramento Kings
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2015, 07:29:56 PM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
I love Rondo as a player and hope he succeeds, but if he doesn't take this year to be on his best behavior it'll be his fault if he's not in the league next yr.

I don't care if he did just sign on with one of the most dysfunctional franchises..lol. Just cut the crap and play ball and stop trying to be a know it all..all the time. Other than that, good luck Rondo I'm really intrigued with him and Cousins.

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2015, 07:30:16 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
As long as they give him the ball 100% of the time and let him create, he should succeed there.   There's a couple shooters on that team.

This is annoying to me, because the rumor was that we had been trying to trade Rondo for Ben McLemore and their 2014 1st (ended up #8), but that Rondo refused to re-sign in Sacramento.  Also, Rondo reportedly wanted a 100 million max offer from Boston.    Now he ends up signing in Sacramento?

On the flip side... wow...  Danny Ainge just cost Rajon Rondo a TON of money by trading him.   Had he played out the season for Boston, he would have continued putting up inflated stats and the Knicks/Lakers would have offered him max money.

Rondo has nobody to blame but himself.  Totally detonated his value in Dallas, not to mention the way he handled the end of his time in Boston.

Hard to think of many examples of a player detonating his value so completely as Rondo has done.  Lamar Odom is the only one that comes to mind.

Bynum? Larry Sanders?

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2015, 07:32:06 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Wait what did he do at the end of his time in Boston?

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2015, 07:32:07 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
gonna be a good team.  No swapping from Philly that's for sure.

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2015, 07:32:20 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
As long as they give him the ball 100% of the time and let him create, he should succeed there.   There's a couple shooters on that team.

This is annoying to me, because the rumor was that we had been trying to trade Rondo for Ben McLemore and their 2014 1st (ended up #8), but that Rondo refused to re-sign in Sacramento.  Also, Rondo reportedly wanted a 100 million max offer from Boston.    Now he ends up signing in Sacramento?

On the flip side... wow...  Danny Ainge just cost Rajon Rondo a TON of money by trading him.   Had he played out the season for Boston, he would have continued putting up inflated stats and the Knicks/Lakers would have offered him max money.

Rondo has nobody to blame but himself.  Totally detonated his value in Dallas, not to mention the way he handled the end of his time in Boston.

Hard to think of many examples of a player detonating his value so completely as Rondo has done.  Lamar Odom is the only one that comes to mind.

Can you elaborate on the bolded? Genuinely curious, I don't remember any issue with him here towards the end - unless you're talking about BirthdayGate which I never really took seriously.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2015, 07:33:28 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

it seems to me that rondo had a hand in this as well.

and lets see if coach karl is the type who lets his players make the decisions on the court. it should be interesting there.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2015, 07:35:07 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119

Bynum? Larry Sanders?

Bynum's decline in value came a lot from injuries.  And Larry Sanders would rather just to smoke weed all day then actually play ball.  Those are both examples of guys that never seemed to truly have the passion in playing the game of basketball for a living.

Rondo actually WANTS to play, he loves to play, but his stubbornness and immaturity got the best of him.  You can argue his detonation was worse than both Bynum and Sanders

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2015, 07:36:09 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Looks like Ty Lawson isn't Sacramento-bound after all.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2015, 07:37:01 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Congrats to rondo

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2015, 07:37:01 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
looking forward to seeing what he does next season.  he needs to truly redeem his worth this next season so I fully expect him to have an all-star caliber season.

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2015, 07:40:00 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Bynum? Larry Sanders?

Bynum - Injuries
Sanders - He had a fat contract when he decided to retire.  That was all him.  And teams would probably still pay money for him if he came back.

As for the questions about how Rondo's tenure ended in Boston ... were you watching the same team?  For one thing, even before his injury he was turning into a more and more numbers-oriented player who didn't actually seem to make his team better and who didn't get along very well with his coach or teammates.

Then, when he came back from injury, he gave what appeared to be maybe a 40-50% effort.  Less than that on defense.  Rather than embracing the opportunity to be the leader of a rebuilding squad, he set a bad example and loafed his way out of town.  With, of course, the lovely parting shot about actually needing to play defense now that he had joined a decent team.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2015, 07:42:08 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Bynum? Larry Sanders?

Let's not exaggerate.  Rondo has a lot of good, well respected friends in the NBA.  From Doc Paul and KG, to Perk and Rudy Gay...he was well-liked by his new Celitcs teammates, rookies, Sully, etc...

He's not a great PR or glamour guy that's for sure.  Loved the hard edged play he gave the Celtics for multiple years...

Basketball-wise, with some defense behind him from the Sactown bigs he can go back to using his excellent anticipation skills to gamble on defense, without the horrific consequences of the big-challenged, KG-less C's.

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2015, 07:44:46 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119

Can you elaborate on the bolded? Genuinely curious, I don't remember any issue with him here towards the end - unless you're talking about BirthdayGate which I never really took seriously.

I don't think Rondo took it seriously as well, but I think Ainge and Stevens did.  He was injured at the time so in the grand scheme of things, it wasn't that big of a deal...but it's just not a good look.  Plus he never technically asked the team, he told the team, which I think is a bit of a bigger deal.  You think it's just a coincidence that the only game the usually calm and collected Brad Stevens has ever gotten thrown out of occurred on the same night that Rondo blew off the team?  Cause I do not.

Then he also just blatantly admitted in that interview that he "hasn't played defense in a couple years"...and then just watching him play, you could see he didn't like being on a rebuilding team and wasn't giving a full effort because of it.

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2015, 07:45:07 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Bynum? Larry Sanders?

Bynum - Injuries
Sanders - He had a fat contract when he decided to retire.  That was all him.  And teams would probably still pay money for him if he came back.

As for the questions about how Rondo's tenure ended in Boston ... were you watching the same team?  For one thing, even before his injury he was turning into a more and more numbers-oriented player who didn't actually seem to make his team better and who didn't get along very well with his coach or teammates.

Then, when he came back from injury, he gave what appeared to be maybe a 40-50% effort.  Less than that on defense.  Rather than embracing the opportunity to be the leader of a rebuilding squad, he set a bad example and loafed his way out of town.  With, of course, the lovely parting shot about actually needing to play defense now that he had joined a decent team.

He did? I've haven't heard anything negative coming from the players and the coach. I wished Rondo scored more but I felt that the team liked playing with him.

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2015, 07:45:43 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Rondo turns 30 next year.  Even if he plays his butt off, he's never going to make up for the money he has cost himself.

Mike