Author Topic: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5M deal with the Sacramento Kings  (Read 18371 times)

Re: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5M deal with the Sacramento Kings
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2015, 07:48:57 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
As long as they give him the ball 100% of the time and let him create, he should succeed there.   There's a couple shooters on that team.

This is annoying to me, because the rumor was that we had been trying to trade Rondo for Ben McLemore and their 2014 1st (ended up #8), but that Rondo refused to re-sign in Sacramento.  Also, Rondo reportedly wanted a 100 million max offer from Boston.    Now he ends up signing in Sacramento?

On the flip side... wow...  Danny Ainge just cost Rajon Rondo a TON of money by trading him.   Had he played out the season for Boston, he would have continued putting up inflated stats and the Knicks/Lakers would have offered him max money.
it seems to me that rondo had a hand in this as well.

and lets see if coach karl is the type who lets his players make the decisions on the court. it should be interesting there.
A lot of the blame goes to Cuban and Carlisle.  You don't trade for Rondo and then not let him run your offense.  If they wanted a 3-and-D guy, they should have traded for one. 

I think Rudy Gay being on the Kings will help Rondo fit in better.  Cousins spoke well of Rondo and they are both went to UK.  Karl is the big question mark.  He wants to run an up tempo offense which is good for Rondo.  However it really doesn't matter how well Rondo and Karl work together if the Kings don't resolve the contention between Cousins and Karl. 

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2015, 07:55:36 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Rondo is not an up tempo PG. He would rather dribble it up to pass for an assist than advance it with a pass that might not. He can see angles in the half court and deliver passes other PG's can't, so he is a passer. Doesn't make him an up tempo guy.

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2015, 07:58:32 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
As long as they give him the ball 100% of the time and let him create, he should succeed there.   There's a couple shooters on that team.

This is annoying to me, because the rumor was that we had been trying to trade Rondo for Ben McLemore and their 2014 1st (ended up #8), but that Rondo refused to re-sign in Sacramento.  Also, Rondo reportedly wanted a 100 million max offer from Boston.    Now he ends up signing in Sacramento?

On the flip side... wow...  Danny Ainge just cost Rajon Rondo a TON of money by trading him.   Had he played out the season for Boston, he would have continued putting up inflated stats and the Knicks/Lakers would have offered him max money.

and lets see if coach karl is the type who lets his players make the decisions on the court. it should be interesting there.
A lot of the blame goes to Cuban and Carlisle.  You don't trade for Rondo and then not let him run your offense.  If they wanted a 3-and-D guy, they should have traded for one. 

I think Rudy Gay being on the Kings will help Rondo fit in better.  Cousins spoke well of Rondo and they are both went to UK.  Karl is the big question mark.  He wants to run an up tempo offense which is good for Rondo.  However it really doesn't matter how well Rondo and Karl work together if the Kings don't resolve the contention between Cousins and Karl.

The blame goes to Rondo....not to Ainge, or Carlisle, or Cuban, or anyone else. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2015, 08:00:51 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Rondo has nobody to blame but himself.  Totally detonated his value in Dallas, not to mention the way he handled the end of his time in Boston.

Hard to think of many examples of a player detonating his value so completely as Rondo has done.  Lamar Odom is the only one that comes to mind.

Can you elaborate on the bolded? Genuinely curious, I don't remember any issue with him here towards the end - unless you're talking about BirthdayGate which I never really took seriously.

I don't think Rondo took it seriously as well, but I think Ainge and Stevens did.  He was injured at the time so in the grand scheme of things, it wasn't that big of a deal...but it's just not a good look.  Plus he never technically asked the team, he told the team, which I think is a bit of a bigger deal.  You think it's just a coincidence that the only game the usually calm and collected Brad Stevens has ever gotten thrown out of occurred on the same night that Rondo blew off the team?  Cause I do not.

Then he also just blatantly admitted in that interview that he "hasn't played defense in a couple years"...and then just watching him play, you could see he didn't like being on a rebuilding team and wasn't giving a full effort because of it.
Stevens caused a small issue to turn into birthdaygate.  Ainge cared so little about it that he waited until the road trip was done to talk to Rondo about it and then he gave Rondo no punishment at all. 

Rondo statement about defense is blown way out of proportion.  He was injured or recovering from injury for most of those couple years.  The question was about defending all the good PGs in the west and Rondo truthfully answered that Bradley had mostly defended the PGs.   

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2015, 08:05:04 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Best of luck to Rondo, and in Sacramento, he's gonna need it.  Wish him well though.

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2015, 08:09:50 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
This is just Crazy enough to Work.

I'll give George Carl credit if he can get these guys into the playoffs---it can go either way....but it should be fun to watch.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2015, 08:09:50 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

As I've said since this rumor floated, it was impossible, since the Kings couldn't trade a 1st to us outright in 2014, as they owed the Bulls their pick if it fell outside the top 10, which would carry into the following season if not conveyed, and the Stepian rule would prevent future draft picks from being traded consecutive years.  So that rumor was either completely BS (no pick involved) or somewhat BS (a pick swap which would have been 17 for 8).  But in either case, please stop whining about a trade rumor from 18 months ago that was obviously somewhat wrong.  Most versions of that rumor just said "a pick."  It could have been a 2019 pick.  It could have been a second-round pick.  It could not have been #8 straight up, because that would go against league rules.

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2015, 08:28:50 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
I feel sorry for George Karl..trying to coach Cousins and Rondo
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2015, 08:31:16 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Smart deal for both teams.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2015, 08:32:55 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Smart deal for both teams.

Both teams? Am I missing something here? Who is the other team?

« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2015, 08:33:56 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja

rondo was expected to follow the directions given to him by the coach. that is not unusual or unrealistic. you cant blame team after team, coach after coach for not letting rondo do what rondo wants the way he wants. that is not how team basketball works.

up tempo for rondo? may i ask why you think that will play to rondo's strengths? for seasons his preferred style of play was to walk the ball up, dribble for a while, then pass the ball. if you are not of this, go back and watch him on replays.

final point, if cousins has trouble with karl, why dont you think that rondo may as well? karl is VERY hard headed on how he wants he teams to run. so is rondo.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2015, 08:40:46 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Karl has 99 problems….and just added another

I hope they sign Josh Smith too!

The Sacramento Kings will begin discussions with free agents Josh Smith and Lou Williams today, according to league sources.

— Jake Fischer (@JakeLFischer) July 3, 2015

« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2015, 08:48:50 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

rondo was expected to follow the directions given to him by the coach. that is not unusual or unrealistic. you cant blame team after team, coach after coach for not letting rondo do what rondo wants the way he wants. that is not how team basketball works.

up tempo for rondo? may i ask why you think that will play to rondo's strengths? for seasons his preferred style of play was to walk the ball up, dribble for a while, then pass the ball. if you are not of this, go back and watch him on replays.

final point, if cousins has trouble with karl, why dont you think that rondo may as well. karl is VERY hard headed on who he wants he teams to run. so is rondo.
I didn't say that Rondo wouldn't have problems with Karl.  What I said was if Karl and Cousins can't work out their issues then the Karl/Rondo relationship doesn't matter.  Rondo and Doc butted heads but they worked through their issues.  I don't know why Rondo and Carlisle couldn't work through their issues.  However to put all the blame on Rondo is ludicrous.  Rondo certainly should have handled the situation better but so should Carlisle. 

Your memory is quite selective.  How about all the times Rondo was out on the fast break all alone?  How about all the times when Rondo called for the ball after a defense rebound so he could get out on the fast break.  The good thing about Rondo is that he can play fast or slow.  Remember when Rondo made an old, broken down Shaq look good.   Rondo should make Cousins job a lot easier. 

« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2015, 08:49:21 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
Karl has 99 problems….and just added another

I hope they sign Josh Smith too!

The Sacramento Kings will begin discussions with free agents Josh Smith and Lou Williams today, according to league sources.

— Jake Fischer (@JakeLFischer) July 3, 2015
ha, ha...tp. they should trade for kobe. that would be a drama worth watching.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2015, 08:58:42 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Yes this would be a great

Reality comedy show

George Karl .....HIP HOP dad

My three sons

Kobe
Rondo